Gla45 AMG Tyre Skipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanRJones

Car
Mercedes GLA 45AMG
Apologies if a thread already exists....New to MBC. 1) Tyre skipping/crabbing on my 2016 GLA45 AMG with 20inch AMG wheels. Has anyone else experienced the same issue as GLC and C43 owners. I reported mine some months ago and MB are still saying they are unaware of any issue with GLA's on 20 inch rims and are totally dismissive. This being despite them finally admitting an issue to GLC owners in the Spring following a barrage of complaints and threats of legal action. I also have an issue in obtaining anything but 20 inch Continental 'Summer tyres' but will seek advice on that in a separate thread to avoid mixed conversations. Thanks in advance.

Ian

Welcome to the forum.

Try using the search function where you will find several threads and many, many posts about this:thumb:

DSM10000- thanks will look again now. Aware of widespread GLC posts and some C43 but not relating specifically to the GLA 45 AMG which is what I need albeit I may have missed them. Cheers. Ian.

DSM10000- thanks will look again now. Aware of widespread GLC posts and some C43 but not relating specifically to the GLA 45 AMG which is what I need albeit I may have missed them. Cheers. Ian.

Ian

I may be wrong but I think it is due to the type of 4WD system MB employ on these models?

DSM10000- thanks. It's down to the steering setup differences between left and right hand drives. MB are now offering GLC owners new all weather tyres or reduced size rims due to a threat of legal action. Mine has exactly the same issues that GLC owners reported and this was witnessed by the dealership. MB response is following the same route as that given to GLC owners which is to fob off until the number of complaints reached such a level that dismissing owners and threats of legal action could no longer be ignored.

I am trying to gauge the extent of the problem from GLA owners with 19 or 20 inch AMG wheels with low profile tyres

P.S Being only able to fit Summer Tyres is not helping the problem (subject of a separate thread I posted this afternoon. Not impressed with MB customer service thus far.

DSM10000- thanks. It's down to the steering setup differences between left and right hand drives. MB are now offering GLC owners new all weather tyres or reduced size rims due to a threat of legal action. Mine has exactly the same issues that GLC owners reported and this was witnessed by the dealership. MB response is following the same route as that given to GLC owners which is to fob off until the number of complaints reached such a level that dismissing owners and threats of legal action could no longer be ignored.

I am trying to gauge the extent of the problem from GLA owners with 19 or 20 inch AMG wheels with low profile tyres

P.S Being only able to fit Summer Tyres is not helping the problem (subject of a separate thread I posted this afternoon. Not impressed with MB customer service thus far.

Ian

That was my take on things, the 4WD setup with front and rear drive shaft placement is compromising the steering set-up on RHD cars.

Hope you find some sort of successful conclusion.:thumb:

David

Had the same issue with both sets of wheels 19" and 20" the bumping and skipping due to camber settings... hardly any tyre scrub but then only did less than 10,000 miles on the two sets, not like E220 company car on out side edge down to minimum, another kind of the same issue affecting Mercedes cars..

I have to comment here that the GLA and GLC/C43 4matic models are very different models of car. The GLA is based on what is primarily a FWD chassis[ A class] with an additional power take off to the rear with a rear mounted electronically variable clutch system. It should have no steering geometry 4WD train implications at the front end at least. In contrast the GLK and C43 have a central transfer box and an engine sump mounted differential assembly which occupies the same area as the steering column in RHD vehicles to the apparent detriment of steering geometry?
So I would offer there are no design grounds to compare the two systems.
I'm a bit hazy about the AMG GLA technology now except to remember its set up with a greater degree of rear drive bias than its more normal GLA counterparts which might be source of your problem?

qaB2udy.jpg

8E7idz5.jpg

Last edited:
Think the GLA 4matic was 70 / 30 for the front... until you lost traction and rear end was active ... awd till it settled down again... the issue above is due to the camber set for the GLA 45 more pronounced in colder weather..

Colleagues,

Many thanks for the above, hopefully more GLA45 owners will be able to add their experience. Having perused YouTube tyre crabbing videos from GLC owners, mine does exactly the same. Each time the noise sounds like a trackrod has snapped. Very pronounced.

How did this end up ?? I'm picking mine up next Friday,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom