Glasgow helicopter crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iaingreer

I know it's late but a police helicopter has crashed onto a pub roof in glasgow not too far from me, pretty tragic circumstances

Did someone shoot at it...?

Looks like it was a Eurocopter EC135 T2 police helicopter

Last edited:
Not too sure, I'm sure there will be a black box recording or something that will explain what happened to cause it to crash

Eurocopter again, not doing too well.

We still don't use the 225 after it developed a habit of falling out of the sky fully loaded.

C.

Blades stopped spinning and I think the pilot was aiming for the river Clyde to bring it down, they weren't far of making it

The EC135 is twin-engined so total loss of power would be unusual.

Even then you can autorotate down, depending on height/speed at the time. I guess police use sometimes means operating within the normal 'avoid' area of the HV curve though.

Most likely to be a gearbox/drivetrain failure I guess, with the power being cut intentionally. Tragic event, anyway.

Not sure if it was taking off or heading home but the landing pad isn't terribly far from where it happened.

Never mind the technicalities,my thoughts and best wishes are with those that
were unfortunately involved.

Well said, the deceased, the injured and the families of those involved need to uppermost in our thoughts at this point.

Well said, the deceased, the injured and the families of those involved need to uppermost in our thoughts at this point.

Indeed.

Unfortunately the reality is it was probably the "technicalities" that resulted in their deaths or injury. I do not ascribe to the notion that expressing an interest in how a tragedy came about means a lack of concern for the dignity or personal loss of the unfortunate people involved. The opposite in fact. I actually felt a bit uneasy today at all the very public expressions of grief today from the "powers that be" especially when they also contained a little bit of political justification of the new unified Police and Fire Authorities in Scotland at the same time. A similar authority found singularly lacking in the recent past [ not the "grunts" on the front line I might add ] Alison Hume inquiry: Mother left to die in mine shaft after fire chiefs wouldn't use winch | Mail Online

p.s. If there is anyone on this forum directly involved in this tragedy through the loss or injury of a loved one let me be the first to express my sympathy, but I like to think I would only be asking the same questions as they might as to why this happened. :dk:

Last edited:
With respects to Alison Hume, that was tragic, I know the family she left behind.

The soca have covered the roof so they will be working on why it happened.

Thoughts with those who have lost and the emergency services working round the clock

Very sad news.:(

I know the pub very well as it's only 10 mins from where i live.

Unfortunately the reality is it was probably the "technicalities" that resulted in their deaths or injury. I do not ascribe to the notion that expressing an interest in how a tragedy came about means a lack of concern for the dignity or personal loss of the unfortunate people involved. The opposite in fact. I actually felt a bit uneasy today at all the very public expressions of grief today from the "powers that be" especially when they also contained a little bit of political justification of the new unified Police and Fire Authorities in Scotland at the same time. A similar authority found singularly lacking in the recent past [ not the "grunts" on the front line I might add ] Alison Hume inquiry: Mother left to die in mine shaft after fire chiefs wouldn't use winch | Mail Online

p.s. If there is anyone on this forum directly involved in this tragedy through the loss or injury of a loved one let me be the first to express my sympathy, but I like to think I would only be asking the same questions as they might as to why this happened. :dk:

I've just read this article.

Having worked in H&S for the best part of 30 years I can think of no valid reason whatsoever why the winch was not used. If it's safe enough to use for lifting one of their employees, it's safe enough for anyone.

The people who made that decision were negligent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom