Glasses Guide Info please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremytaylor

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
One of our employees decided not to turn the bend on her way home from work and drove her (company) car into a low brick wall. This pushed the OSF wheel back in the wheelarch and did repairable damage to the 3-year old car.

But then she moans to the Police that her back was aching a little. So, no messing, the Fire Brigade chop the roof off the car to get her out.

So the car's a write-off, but I would be grateful if anyone can give me a Glasses or Cap Value so that I can be sure the insurance company won't try and shaft us.

Turns out that the driver was drunk (yes, this was on the way home from work:eek: ), so she has been dismissed (she was already on notice to leave)

The car is (or was) a silver Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v Elegance, 2003/03 plate, 26,000 miles. So, no great loss, as long as the insurance company don't get silly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Strange, looked up the car I'm just about to buy (Audi A4 Avant) and the only available options are for the last two years, even though the model was introduced ten years ago.

kensalriser said:
Strange, looked up the car I'm just about to buy (Audi A4 Avant) and the only available options are for the last two years, even though the model was introduced ten years ago.

You need to make sure that you are looking at the right model (may not be the same as the badge on the rear?!) - I just took a look at A4 Avants and it seems correct, some model names have only been used in the past couple of years, but similar have been available previously.

What is the exact model you are looking for? (Salesspeak for "Can I sell you wot I got?" :D )

Cheers

Isn`t Glasses guide just for trade prices? I doubt the insurance company would use it as it doesnt show replacement prices, the value of the car should reflect the current market value not trade value.

Great link to Glasses though, thanks Swiss

Allan

You might want to check autotrader to see what the screen-prices are. A few circled in a magazine or printed from the web and posted to the insurers might help. This is what I was advised to do by a relative who is an insurance assessor.

He also said for a private car take lots of silly pics of the family or friends in the car, make sure it looks presentable and well cared-for. If you have to make a claim, seeing pics of it's "pre-accident condition" is essential :)

Most insurers will not pay out over the glasses top value for the car, but if you were going to get "average" money then taking it to the top would obviously be an improvement! :)

Good luck with your claim! :)

There are definitely some glitches on the website, it claims to go back 9 years but for the SL500 you can't pick earlier than 99/S reg. (although you can select 93-94, 94-95, 95-98, and 98-00 as models).

Whwn my car was written off the Insurance Company initially offered me a daft price for the car. I then trawled through Autotrader and found similar mileage and spec cars to mine and they subsequently upped their offer and it all worked out nicely.

Toni - 2.4 SE auto. Comes up with options only for 2003 to 2005. Similar for the manual. Definite mistake or omission.

Glass'guide does not list all models. Some small volume ones are excluded.

For your Astra: 4975 trade; 6525 retail. Hope that helps.

If you go to Vauxhall's website they have a "Value My Car" section which links to Glasses guide.

DieselE said:
If you go to Vauxhall's website they have a "Value My Car" section which links to Glasses guide.

That's what the link posted above is: clientId=vauxhall!

BTB 500 said:
That's what the link posted above is: clientId=vauxhall!

Is that me having my knuckles rapped for not trying the link before posting? :D

Nah, course not! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom