GLC 12v power from rear view mirror/ over head lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inonefly

Car
GLC63s
Hello,
I’m trying to install dashcam to my GLC with a power feed from the rear view mirror/ over head lights. I found couple of posts from forums but the cabling/sockets does not seem to match.
Cable 1 seems to power the lights underneath the rear view mirror but I can’t detect a 12v power from the socket. Cable 2 have 12v power but it seems a constant power (I locked the door and left window open, came back after 20mina and tested the socket without unlock door and it still has power).
Does anyone know which cable on the glc is the 12v one and cuts the power when car’s locked?
many thanks in advance for any inputs.

Attachments

• 910DD320-8301-4EA6-8DE5-889056E369D5.jpeg
    910DD320-8301-4EA6-8DE5-889056E369D5.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 5
You need to get ignition switched from the cigarette lighter power. Dont connect to any output from the overhead control panel (OCP) - it won't like it and will create errors or break the OCP which is ££££

RIchard

(ps, 2 is the permanent power and network feed)

I’ve been powering my dashcam from rear view mirror on my previous BMW for a few years - was expecting this can be done with Mercedes. With the cigarette lighter power, I assume I can mod the dashcam’s power cable to wire it to the back of the lighter socket - so that I can still use the light for charging phones?
Edit: forgot to mention, no.1 from my photo I actually found the 12v power and it’s ignition switched - it’s powering the rear view mirror and the reading lights.

The OCP powers the mirror - but it checks current usage (and logs a fault if power too much) - and the OCP doesn't expect to power the dashcam and isn't designed to do so.

The OCP powers the mirror - but it checks current usage (and logs a fault if power too much) - and the OCP doesn't expect to power the dashcam and isn't designed to do so.
Thanks - makes sense if OCP also monitors the current. I’m getting a OBD power supply cable tomorrow as it seems the easiest option without messing with fuses and it’s relatively easier to route the cable.

Just picking up on this old post… I have a new GLC suv and need a 12v switched source to permanently wire in my cheetah speed camera location gadget. Whats the method for accessing the 12v cigar lighter feed please? I’m not averse to taking the trim to bits just looking for how its done on the GLC. Tia

Its identical to the C class (w205). You remove the cover over the glovebox latch, two screw underneath and lift the panel - which then un-hooks at the top (near the screen). To remove the cover over the glovebox latch in the proper manner you need pulling hooks to release the hidden catches. I’d look at YouTube to find a video. Most of the time you can just pull hard - but you do risk breaking that little plastic covers’ latches.
Be careful of trapped wires when putting back. Undoing the wiring connectors is fiddly.
R

Its identical to the C class (w205). You remove the cover over the glovebox latch, two screw underneath and lift the panel - which then un-hooks at the top (near the screen). To remove the cover over the glovebox latch in the proper manner you need pulling hooks to release the hidden catches. I’d look at YouTube to find a video. Most of the time you can just pull hard - but you do risk breaking that little plastic covers’ latches.
Be careful of trapped wires when putting back. Undoing the wiring connectors is fiddly.
R
Perfect, thanks Richard.
👍🏻👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom