GLC 250d 10k miles in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
After munching just over 10,000 miles since collection in December thought I'd give those interested an update on the GLC. I was excited at first collection following the rejection of my problematic S205 and hoped the GLC would restore faith in the MB. So over the miles these are my observations:

1. Creaking door seals, solved by adding a sticky back felt trim in the door aperture

2. Dashboard rattle coming from the leading plastic edge near the windscreen, seems to be on the passenger side and comes and goes.

3. Command unit freezing, after a number of updates I still get the odd random fault. This can be the Navi stuck on the loading globe screen to the anti theft warning which locks the unit out for an hour or so. Since the last update 8 weeks ago it's done it once.

4. Fuel consumption, I've averaged 38.7mpg over the total mileage however I often on a run I get 49-50mpg

5. 9g tronic gearbox is spot on for this car and makes the drive refined and relaxed. When using sport mode seems to snatch each gear like an eager boy racer whipping his foot off the clutch.

6. Interior noise is mute, engine is a mild rumble under hard acceleration and road noise is also well suppressed (compared to my S205)

7. Keyless entry and foot open boot are a great combo for this car as I seem to find myself buying lots of stuff from the DIY centre.

8. Park assist is again great for this size of vehicle and the added 360 camera makes manual parking so much easier.

9. Wheel vibration, over the last 3,000 miles I've had the front wheels balanced 4 times and yet after a 100 miles or so the jelly like steering returns.

10. Tire wear is very uneven from one side to the other, rear left has 4mm - rear right has 6mm and a similar story on the front. I can only guess the 4-matic system is deploying more torque to the rear left wheel?

11. Brakes were good to start with but not to long ago I feel a judder under 30% ish braking force, however no fault found by dealer.

12. A common one on others which I didn't have but do now is the steering jump under full lock. I know this is again a trade off due to the 4-matic system as the A45 also does it - but it can be rather annoying in the multi story parking.

So overall for a new line model the faults have been limited but not perfect, however the car has served me well for the last 10,000 miles. But and a big but it's not as nice to drive as the S205 I had, at first I loved it, then it was ok and now I find it somewhat a dull drive.

For stuffing it full of shopping or luggage and our huge German Shepard dog it's great, interior space is also good and the daughter loves it. Be good to hear other GLC owners thoughts!

Last edited:
That's an interesting write up, thank you, we are considering replacing our trusty 2011 XC70 in the next year or so, it's done 103,000 miles so far and for the sake of comparison here are it's list if faults 1, At a few hundred miles old the turbo pipe split 2. The front brake pads needed replacing a year or so ago 3, ermmmm, it's on it's third set of tyres, Pirelli Scorpions, still almost new on the back That's it, the beige steering wheel and gear stick are worn , and there's a lovely dent on the rear wing where I backed into a post, but other than that the car looks and feels very similar to the way it did when it was delivered to my drive 5 years ago. I would like a 7 seater next time, and am really resisting changing as this car has been and continues to be superb, I knows it's old fashioned and far from trendy but we love it. I'm considering a Mercedes, but would be a little peeved with that list of niggles, on what I am sure us a super car, I don't even know what new Merc can be had with 7 seats, probably go for a new xc90, sorry, bit of a thread hi jack

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had mine since the end of March. I came from a freelander 2.
I really like this car. It's far better economy 35-40 mpg compared to low 30s max.
I can't really find fault so far, my only gripe is that quite offen my (old) iPod doesn't register and I get no music for a while.
Bit shocked at 4mm tread left after 10000 miles that's a bit bad, I will have to check mine, I have only done about 2k.
Is the "steering jump" in reverse because I have noticed that, a bit disconcerting.
I haven't noticed any creaking so far from the doors or dash.

On another note, do you know if the tpm is a standard unit? I have had a quote for winter wheels and tyres of £ 2100 from mb and some web non mb for around £1000 inc the monitors and wonder if they just work or have to be synced some how with the car causing problems twice a year on change over ?

On another note, do you know if the tpm is a standard unit? I have had a quote for winter wheels and tyres of £ 2100 from mb and some web non mb for around £1000 inc the monitors and wonder if they just work or have to be synced some how with the car causing problems twice a year on change over ?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be able to comment on the TPM should you change tires however I see in the dash setting you can tell the car you have these fitted.

As for the tire wear it's average I suppose, I do a lot of motorway but also every weekend I do do a 200 mile round trip to Wales so a lot of cornering and pot holes to deal with.

Try not to cry when your told £370 per corner to replace as mine are 20" with run flats on.

Thanks for that - very interesting. I have to say that 6mths into ownership of my wife's VW Tiguan, absolutely no issues at all (touch wood) and I quite like the size and spec of the new model.

One thing about Tiguan which isn't ideal on motorway cruising is a feeling that the car is rocking from side to side slightly. I've experienced this in larger SUV (previous Volvo XC90 was quite bad) - does the GLC do it too?

I've had mine since end of oct (or was it beginning of nov ?...can't remember). I'll comment on your comments:-

1. Creaking door seals, solved by adding a sticky back felt trim in the door aperture

2. Dashboard rattle coming from the leading plastic edge near the windscreen, seems to be on the passenger side and comes and goes.
Thankfully I haven't heard either of these.

3. Command unit freezing, after a number of updates I still get the odd random fault. This can be the Navi stuck on the loading globe screen to the anti theft warning which locks the unit out for an hour or so. Since the last update 8 weeks ago it's done it once.
Had this once.

4. Fuel consumption, I've averaged 38.7mpg over the total mileage however I often on a run I get 49-50mpg
Mines is 35mpg, but suspect I have a heavier mix of slow in-town driving compared to you. I have seen 50mpg once on a 40mile drive where I averaged 45mph.

5. 9g tronic gearbox is spot on for this car and makes the drive refined and relaxed. When using sport mode seems to snatch each gear like an eager boy racer whipping his foot off the clutch.
Generally I find it good, but occasionally I find that it doesn't react like it should to a certain movement of the accelerator pedal, causing me to press it a lot further. I also still remain annoyed by the inability of engine/gearbox to get off the line quickly at roundabouts/junctions. Once it starts moving it picks up quickly, but I find that it's characteristic means that it can result in giving a minor shock to on-coming traffic "he's only coming out now ? what the....oh ok he gave it welly and he's out of my way". I am seeing things from the other perspective these days. When I had a manual, the odd time I'd think I had loads of time before interferring with a car that was trying to get onto a roundabout, only to see it coming towards me a lot quicker than I thought.

6. Interior noise is mute, engine is a mild rumble under hard acceleration and road noise is also well suppressed (compared to my S205)
noise levels are good, you get a shock when you lower your window and find how noisy the engine really is.

7. Keyless entry and foot open boot are a great combo for this car as I seem to find myself buying lots of stuff from the DIY centre.
Agreed, I was used to this on my volvo, and determined to get the premium package as I liked the handiness.

8. Park assist is again great for this size of vehicle and the added 360 camera makes manual parking so much easier.
I still havn't tried this !. started it a couple of times, but chickened out.

9. Wheel vibration, over the last 3,000 miles I've had the front wheels balanced 4 times and yet after a 100 miles or so the jelly like steering returns.
Not had this, I wonder is it related to your un-even tyre wear.

10. Tire wear is very uneven from one side to the other, rear left has 4mm - rear right has 6mm and a similar story on the front. I can only guess the 4-matic system is deploying more torque to the rear left wheel?
haven't checked

11. Brakes were good to start with but not to long ago I feel a judder under 30% ish braking force, however no fault found by dealer.
Not noticed any issues

12. A common one on others which I didn't have but do now is the steering jump under full lock. I know this is again a trade off due to the 4-matic system as the A45 also does it - but it can be rather annoying in the multi story parking.
Had the judder from the start, but unlike others, I have not noticed it result in the car jumping out of its intended course as a result.

So overall for a new line model the faults have been limited but not perfect, however the car has served me well for the last 10,000 miles. But and a big but it's not as nice to drive as the S205 I had, at first I loved it, then it was ok and now I find it somewhat a dull drive.
I find the delay in throttle response a major impediment to driving enjoyment. Not just off the line, but going round a bend, exiting it and putting the foot on the accelerator, you don't get the result until 1/2-3/4 sec later, which isn't condusive to engaged driving.

My other thoughts.

I ordered with the air suspension, and I find the ride really good. I can really feel the different between comfortable and sport/sport+. The ability to lower the boot height is a totally useless gimmick however. I think it goes down by about 40mm. How many scenarios must exist that would be enabled by lowering the height my 40mm ?

I had issues with the intelligent led lights. Eventually dealer changed both headlamp units. I don't do a lot of nighttime driving, but I *think* it's fixed. I really love those lights, fantastic watching them do their thing, and a real benefit. You do miss being able to pro-actively dip your lights when you know the oncoming car is coming over the hill, and occasionally it's a little slower than I would be to get onto full beam, but the benefits strongly outway the negatives.

I've had two doorhandle led illuminations die on me, one is currently still dead, not going for the 60mile roundtrip for that one.

I find the audio20 a bit slow to switch between modes. Jumping into the car, it can take a relative age before it's ready to make a phone call.

The sunglasses holder door closing seems a bit hit and miss. Sometimes, depending how I put the glasses in, the door mech doesn't close, or it does close but jams a bit when next trying to open.

Surprised that when no end or lower-level, just mildly about budget cars can have voice recognition for basic things like phone dialing, that you only get this with the £3K premium plus package.

Also, not having went with "plus" it appears I don't get ANY map updates. Even my brothers Kia sportage gets free updates.

A few weird decisions there.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - very interesting. I have to say that 6mths into ownership of my wife's VW Tiguan, absolutely no issues at all (touch wood) and I quite like the size and spec of the new model.

One thing about Tiguan which isn't ideal on motorway cruising is a feeling that the car is rocking from side to side slightly. I've experienced this in larger SUV (previous Volvo XC90 was quite bad) - does the GLC do it too?

I don't suffer any side to side rocking but I have the sports suspension and not optional air.

How many miles on Mrs Jays A45 mate? Enough to open the throttle yet? :bannana:

And would you consider a remap on the A45?

Ant.

How many miles on Mrs Jays A45 mate? Enough to open the throttle yet? :bannana:

And would you consider a remap on the A45?

Ant.

Ant that little A45 has 1300 on the clock now and it is indeed one fast little pocket rocket!!

Get it past 5000rpm and the thing goes nuts, let go of the throttle and it sounds sweet with a little crackle back through the exhaust.

If it's like the W205, then the TPM will self detect and calibrate after a few miles after changing wheels. I bought a second set of rims for my winter rubber as I didn't fancy too much changing of tyres with the diamond cut alloys.

The winter tyre option in the menu is just to give you the option for an upper speed limit. 120/130/140mph I think it was. Either way, I never drive anywhere near those speeds!

If it's like the W205, then the TPM will self detect and calibrate after a few miles after changing wheels. I bought a second set of rims for my winter rubber as I didn't fancy too much changing of tyres with the diamond cut alloys.

The winter tyre option in the menu is just to give you the option for an upper speed limit. 120/130/140mph I think it was. Either way, I never drive anywhere near those speeds!

Did you buy your wheels/winter tyres from MB ?
I'm going get a set for winter and don't know wether to buy from MB ,get a set from the local motor factors or try get a set off EBAY. The problem I've got with EBAY is do W204 wheels fit a W205?

Did you buy your wheels/winter tyres from MB ?
I'm going get a set for winter and don't know wether to buy from MB ,get a set from the local motor factors or try get a set off EBAY. The problem I've got with EBAY is do W204 wheels fit a W205?
I bought my separately. Rims from fleabay (someone who upgraded theirs) and the rubber from one of the online places who delivered to my local fitter.
TPMS were all tested by the fitter and all kosher.

Bought myself a small trolley jack, torque wrench and chocks, and change them myself each season.

I've read on MB World that W204 wheels won't fit on W205.

If the GLC and C class are the same as the current eclass it's the Schrader tpms Sensor/valves you want. You just fit them instead of normal valves, and there is no additional setup. They auto sense and work out of the box.

It's possible to pick them up for less than £200 a set of four, however some places charge £350 and above.

cheers, Steve

After munching just over 10,000 miles since collection in December thought I'd give those interested an update on the GLC. I was excited at first collection following the rejection of my problematic S205 and hoped the GLC would restore faith in the MB. So over the miles these are my observations:

For stuffing it full of shopping or luggage and our huge German Shepard dog it's great, interior space is also good and the daughter loves it. Be good to hear other GLC owners thoughts!

3500 miles on mine now and still impressed, the toys are good, it drives well and the Burmeister is excellent.

I have been fortunate enough to experience 1, 2 or 3. Agree with 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 :) Not experienced 9 and the tyre wear on mine e is good and brakes have settled well. I haven't noticed 12 either but that seemed to be limited to the sport for some reason.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the ride on the 20 inch wheels too, Panasonic roof is great with the recent weather, so far well impressed.

I fixed item 2. Small amount of foam stuffed under the plastic solved the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom