GLC 4Matic system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Guys,

Question regarding the 4Matic system on the new GLC, is this a permanent drive system or electronically controlled like say AWD vehicles?

Reason for my question is that as a little Christmas present to myself I've decided to get the GLC remapped to give it that little bit more low end grunt, and as part of the service I was hoping to get it on the rollers but concerns have been raised over the 4Matic electronic controls would not suit being put on a dyno ?

Choice of one of the two Bs

1. Brabus box - if they do one or

2. Bang goes your warranty.

Guys,

Question regarding the 4Matic system on the new GLC, is this a permanent drive system or electronically controlled like say AWD vehicles?

Reason for my question is that as a little Christmas present to myself I've decided to get the GLC remapped to give it that little bit more low end grunt, and as part of the service I was hoping to get it on the rollers but concerns have been raised over the 4Matic electronic controls would not suit being put on a dyno ?

My undestanding is that It's a haldex system. I read that UK models have a bigger rear bias of 66%/33%.

I'm still not happy with the slow throttle response of my GLC. I visited the dealer yesterday, and their demo is similar. I took the sales guy out for a run, and he agreed that it was a bit slower than his 7-speed merc. There is pretty much 1/2 a second between pressing the accelerator and anything much happening at all. This is with the car rolling on tickover, so no hill-assist etc to overcome. Makes pulling into high-speed traffic at roundabouts etc challenging.

He's suggested taking the car for a day, offloading the data and sending it to Merc. I appreciate the offer, but if this is an inherent issue then, that'll probably not show up anything.

I'm new to MB. Does MB warranty cover Brabus remaps ?, anywhere on the Brabus website that's confirmed ? I might look in this direction to solve my issue.

Last edited:
Just have the re-map Jay. If there's any doubt forget the rolling road. No point in damaging anything. As already said above. Check out your warranty will not be void first.

And give us figures. We need figures. Original BHP & torque & final BHP & torque.

Wasn't it today you pick up the A45?

Is there any money in the pot for your daughters gift from Santa? :dk:

Ant. :D

There is pretty much 1/2 a second between flooring it and anything much happening at all.

Hi Tangey. To be honest I really thing it's a characteristic of these auto boxes that Merc are using nowadays. Our little B Class is the same. As you say, pulling out into a gap of fast moving traffic can be a challenge. And trying to do a speedy 3 point turn is impossible too. :wallbash:

Is the delay the same in all modes or not as slow in Sports+ For example?

All the Merc twin clutch systems seem the same apart for the AMG boxes which may be more responsive.

I'm not sure if simply increasing power & torque would help with initial take off.

Let us know how you get on.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I think the problem is more the use of electronic throttle pedals - rather than the auto box.
Our ML63 is horrendous if you coast to a halt and then immediately press throttle at a roundabout/junction etc. when in Sport mode.
There is a horrible delay between pressing throttle and anything happening - made worse by the explosive acceleration when the engine finally wakes up!
It does not happen at all in comfort mode - so my conclusion is electronic throttle/engine map rather than the gearbox.
Our car is booked into dealer - so they can see if a download it available.
Cheers
Steve

The W164 is the same too, the throttle feels more like and on/off switch.

My 3 litre C Class with the 7g doesn't feel the same as the ML at all, but then the throttle map is too smooth for me, and I think that hides the delay somewhat, somewhere in between the two would be great.

My undestanding is that It's a haldex system. I read that UK models have a bigger rear bias of 66%/33%.

The 220 and the 250 bias is different, from memory thats the 250 bias, the 220 one is more even 44/55 or something like that.

crockers said:
Choice of one of the two Bs 1. Brabus box - if they do one or 2. Bang goes your warranty.

Ive had a lot of cars done by Celtic tuning and I for one are not worried about warranty. In fairness the dealer tends to turn a blind eye :)

Happytalk73 said:
Just have the re-map Jay. If there's any doubt forget the rolling road. No point in damaging anything. As already said above. Check out your warranty will not be void first. And give us figures. We need figures. Original BHP & torque & final BHP & torque. Wasn't it today you pick up the A45? Is there any money in the pot for your daughters gift from Santa? :dk: Ant. :D

Ant it's getting done don't worry :)

Figures offered are 255bhp and 560NM of torque or you can go Eco with 245bhp and 600NM.

In the past Celtic have produced higher figures than quoted on the rollers....... I always like to see but as mentioned don't want break something.

tangey said:
My undestanding is that It's a haldex system. I read that UK models have a bigger rear bias of 66%/33%. I'm still not happy with the slow throttle response of my GLC. I visited the dealer yesterday, and their demo is similar. I took the sales guy out for a run, and he agreed that it was a bit slower than his 7-speed merc. There is pretty much 1/2 a second between pressing the accelerator and anything much happening at all. This is with the car rolling on tickover, so no hill-assist etc to overcome. Makes pulling into high-speed traffic at roundabouts etc challenging. He's suggested taking the car for a day, offloading the data and sending it to Merc. I appreciate the offer, but if this is an inherent issue then, that'll probably not show up anything. I'm new to MB. Does MB warranty cover Brabus remaps ?, anywhere on the Brabus website that's confirmed ? I might look in this direction to solve my issue.

I have a slight delay however after driving a few auto merc's I've adjusted my driving style to keep the car engaged shall we say.

Sport+ does tighten up the response but there is not much in it.

With the GLC it feels more like a slow response in the 4matic system as opposed to the 9G box.

Jay. I forgot to ask. How much different is the 9 speed box in GLC compared to 7 speed box in your old 205?

Ant.

Happytalk73 said:
Jay. I forgot to ask. How much different is the 9 speed box in GLC compared to 7 speed box in your old 205? Ant.

Bit hard to say really.

In C it's very smooth maybe a bit better than the 7G, but in S+ or M I notice it tugs on up shifts

Around town I find its often changing, all very smooth except at a crawl.... It will creep along say in 3rd and then out of nowhere drop to 2nd and lurch the car forward.

But once upto motorway speed it's an excellent mile muncher. I did a 80 mile round trip Monday covering M6 jct 11 to M5 jct 6 and given the stop start traffic it managed 48mpg, at one point 54mpg.

RPM at 80mph is approx 1650ish, so a little lower than the 7G.

I know it's not on-topic, but Ncap gave the GLC a 5 star rating this month.

Official Mercedes-Benz GLC 2015 safety rating

What is others understanding of how the auto-braking function works in standard cars (not those speced with the driver assistance package).

I'm trying to understand what the last page of the PDF above is saying. There are two columns 7-80Km/h, and another 7-250Km/h. Is the 2nd column stating what happens assuming the driver reacts AND autobrake comes in, or is it implication of that column that autobrake doesn't come in ?

I watched a youtube review of the GLC last night. It revealed two gizmos on the car neither of which I was aware of. These might very well be old hat for Merc regulars.

1) When you lift up the boot floor covering, attached to the underside is a hook+string thing that you can use to hook onto the top ledge of the opening to give you handsfree access.

2) You can set a somwhat more upright angle to the rear seats, to give you slightly more cargo room. Drop the seat backs down, and you'll notice that beside the latch that normal holds the seatback in place, there is another latch that folds out so as the seat back locks in place a couple of inches earlier.

I knew about the boot hook, but was unaware of the method to increase the boot space, that sounds very useful.

VW Tiguans suffer from a slow take off seems to be a characteristic of the DSG style gearboxes something I got used to though I would say the GLC is not so noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom