GLC 63s AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PRB

Car
GLC 63s AMG
On my way to pickup my new GLC 63s today.
Very excited, this being my first Mercedes and my first performance car since I sold my X5M 3 years ago.
Will post picks and specs later today

Enjoy looking forward to the pics!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I do like these to and please do post pics!

When I bought this car I did something very stupid and that was up until yesterday, when I picked the car up, I had not only never driven or even sat in one of these but I had not even seen one in the flesh. Luckily for me its all worked out ok :D

So first impressions.....
  • The sound on start up :D
  • Its bigger than I though but seems to shrink around you when driving.
  • The engine is awesome, I'm following the recommended break-in instructions but even so it rapid for a 2 ton SUV
  • The one thing that overshadows the engine (at least until it's run in) are the brakes, they are mighty and they completely disguise the weight of the car
  • The handling is good (only tried comfort mode) even with the 21 inch wheels, the rides pretty supple and the road noise isn't too bad.......unless you are on a concrete motorway and then you will want to kill yourself its so noisy
  • Interior is nice, leather (both real and man-made) feels nice and the stitching all lines up, and the performance seats are not as uncomfortable as they look (thank god)
  • Gadgets, Driving assist -
    • Crazy, I dare anyone not to get behind the wheel of a car that is steering and braking all by itself and not be freaked out by it,
    • 360 camera - Cool, all cars should have this, makes parking a doddle
    • Head Up Display - Good, but then I'm a fan of HUD's, just needs more configurable options, and that's what kept frustrating again and again about the electronic stuff in the car, its good but its just not as configurable as the same tech in say a BMW (go into the settings for the surround sound system in a high end BMW and compare with the 3 settings you get with the Burmester in the Merc
    • There's more but I'll cover those of when I've spent more time with them
Like I said, luckily for me I have not found anything about the car that I don't like or would have stopped me buying it.

Things I wish I had ordered, well there are 2, the tow bar, I didn't get it because it messes up the look of the rear valance (oh vanity:oops:) but will probably miss it, the other is the performance exhaust, now this I didn't order because I'm 50 years old and not some kid in a Corsa with a dummy dump valve ..........until I got in the car then suddenly I am that kid and I want it to pop and bark and crackle

Now I just need to finish the first 1000 miles so I can up the rev limit (should be done next week:cool:) and a further 800 miles so I can book it in for a diff oil change that will open up the full Race settings including launch control

I'll give an update after the first 1000 have been done, any questions feel free to ask :)

Cheers

Paul

Really nice car, I'm disappointed by the facelift C63S Coupe and the E63 is just too expensive. So find myself fancying one of these to replace my W205 C63 saloon, it will have a performance exhaust though......I'm 58 and just love the sound of that V8 through the performance exhaust.

Had a recent test drive of a Porsche Macan GTS and to be honest the engine and gearbox just didn't cut it for me compared to an AMG V8.

RR

Really nice car, congratulations. :)

I was looking at the GLE63 last year but decided against it and bought the E63 instead. I'm now wishing that I'd added the GLC63 into the equation as I may have been happy with it. I didn't gel with the GLE at all for some reason...

Had a recent test drive of a Porsche Macan GTS and to be honest the engine and gearbox just didn't cut it for me compared to an AMG V8.

RR

I test drove the Macan as well and it was that that convinced me to go with a SUV again, but your right it just doesn't compare to the AMG V8

Oh and I've learnt my lesson on the exhaust, performance exhaust all the way next time

Really nice car, congratulations. :)

I was looking at the GLE63 last year but decided against it and bought the E63 instead. I'm now wishing that I'd added the GLC63 into the equation as I may have been happy with it. I didn't gel with the GLE at all for some reason...
The E63 is a monster of a car and it has the next gen electronics which are miles ahead of those on the GLC, good choice.

Paul, that’s a fine choice of car. I really like the GLC63.

There are workarounds for not having the performance exhaust which might help to satisfy the boy racer in you:
  • Open the roof and windows whenever you’re driving (obvious)
  • Open the rear hatch before starting the engine, especially cold starts (less obvious)
It won’t make the car snap, crackle and pop, but it will excite the child in you :)

Thanks guys, when it's run in there will be lots of driving around in sport+ mode to get my aural fix

When I bought this car I did something very stupid and that was up until yesterday, when I picked the car up, I had not only never driven or even sat in one of these but I had not even seen one in the flesh. Luckily for me its all worked out ok :D

So first impressions.....
  • The sound on start up :D
  • Its bigger than I though but seems to shrink around you when driving.
  • The engine is awesome, I'm following the recommended break-in instructions but even so it rapid for a 2 ton SUV
  • The one thing that overshadows the engine (at least until it's run in) are the brakes, they are mighty and they completely disguise the weight of the car
  • The handling is good (only tried comfort mode) even with the 21 inch wheels, the rides pretty supple and the road noise isn't too bad.......unless you are on a concrete motorway and then you will want to kill yourself its so noisy
  • Interior is nice, leather (both real and man-made) feels nice and the stitching all lines up, and the performance seats are not as uncomfortable as they look (thank god)
  • Gadgets, Driving assist -
    • Crazy, I dare anyone not to get behind the wheel of a car that is steering and braking all by itself and not be freaked out by it,
    • 360 camera - Cool, all cars should have this, makes parking a doddle
    • Head Up Display - Good, but then I'm a fan of HUD's, just needs more configurable options, and that's what kept frustrating again and again about the electronic stuff in the car, its good but its just not as configurable as the same tech in say a BMW (go into the settings for the surround sound system in a high end BMW and compare with the 3 settings you get with the Burmester in the Merc
    • There's more but I'll cover those of when I've spent more time with them
Like I said, luckily for me I have not found anything about the car that I don't like or would have stopped me buying it.

Things I wish I had ordered, well there are 2, the tow bar, I didn't get it because it messes up the look of the rear valance (oh vanity:oops:) but will probably miss it, the other is the performance exhaust, now this I didn't order because I'm 50 years old and not some kid in a Corsa with a dummy dump valve ..........until I got in the car then suddenly I am that kid and I want it to pop and bark and crackle

Now I just need to finish the first 1000 miles so I can up the rev limit (should be done next week:cool:) and a further 800 miles so I can book it in for a diff oil change that will open up the full Race settings including launch control

I'll give an update after the first 1000 have been done, any questions feel free to ask :)

Cheers

Paul
your glc looks stunning, i just wanted to ask does your glc have the dreaded skipping thing happen with the tyres on lock? the reason i ask is i had the glc63s coupe but it was on the 20inch alloys and it was terrible for a car that listed at £84k. i was wondering if it was only on the 20s or if it happens with the 21s as well.

many thanks

I've not noticed it so far, but from what I've read it mainly happens when the temps are cooler and the tyres a little worn, saying that I might nip over to the supermarket and try to make it happen

Wouldn't put me off, I've had a number of cars that skip, albeit not as bad as the GLC is renowned for........

Hoping to get a test drive of a GLC63 early next week, an SUV capable of 0-62 in 3.8 seconds with a top speed of 174mph sort of appeals to my childish nature.

RR

Still not skipping!!

Running in will be done by Saturday and the diff oil change is booked for 2 weeks time and then it time to see what 2 tonnes of SUV feels like hitting 60mph in less than 4 seconds

Wouldn't put me off, I've had a number of cars that skip, albeit not as bad as the GLC is renowned for........

Hoping to get a test drive of a GLC63 early next week, an SUV capable of 0-62 in 3.8 seconds with a top speed of 174mph sort of appeals to my childish nature.

RR

I keep finding myself getting out of the car grinning and usually I'm a miserable sod

RR

In my experience our demonstrator cars have done in less than the E63. I also prefer is as an overall package. It feels much more nimble, while also having more than enough power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom