GLC & C Class creaking seals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
I've seen a few comments about the creaking door seals / windows on the W205 and as a previous sufferer with my S205 I had hoped the GLC would be different.

Well maybe not, as the cold damp weather has set in the doors have slowly started to creak. I've tried the usual soap, washing up liquid and dry lube all work for a few days and the issue returns. Opening the window a small amount seems to solve the problem but that's not much use.

I hadn't bothered to take it back to the dealers as unlikely to be resolved. So I purchased some sticky back 25mm wide felt and set to work tracing the the creak.

Going for the usual area where the main door seals touch the bodywork but no joy. On a last attempt I tried in between the body and the upper door seal, hey presto problem found and solved. It would seem the top rubber seal on the door flex when driving which rubs the bodywork. I stuck some felt in and now I have pure silence in the car :)

Hope this is useful to others :)

Attachments

• image-2713091771.jpg
    image-2713091771.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 274
  • image-1789328480.jpg
    image-1789328480.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 210
  • image-2770597128.jpg
    image-2770597128.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 254
  • image-3181372850.jpg
    image-3181372850.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 244
  • image-2968792916.jpg
    image-2968792916.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 223
As the creek developed over time, would it be the door hinges drooping a little introducing a wider tolerance at the top of the door?

8ig_steve said:
Very useful to others! but we should not need to be doing this sort of thing.

I agree didn't pay all that money to fix things myself, however I've eliminated the noise with no 50 mile round trip and explaining the fault only to hear those words "we didn't hear anything".

uumode said:
As the creek developed over time, would it be the door hinges drooping a little introducing a wider tolerance at the top of the door?

It's more evident on the drivers door probably from the amount of open and close action, but I don't think its hinges.

I think MB have cheap out on the rubber seals or the paint finish on the car has changed which causes the interaction between seal and body

Thanks for the heads up Jay.

I did manage to have my cars creaks "fixed" at the dealer around Xmas but needless to say, they have come back.

I'll be grabbing some felt and trying your fix.

Vel said:
Thanks for the heads up Jay. I did manage to have my cars creaks "fixed" at the dealer around Xmas but needless to say, they have come back. I'll be grabbing some felt and trying your fix.

A 110 mile trip back from Wales today and pure silence........ I can't tell you how nice that is.

A link to what I ordered.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291263576921

I might give this a whirl too so thanks for sharing but it's sad we should have to spend £10.99 to fix this on a car that costs the top end of £30k!!

This may sound silly but what sort of creak is it? I've got some sort of noise in my 2012 e class but it's very intermittent, sounds more like a light rattle of trim however and seems to be coming from centre area, but just wondering if I'm mis hearing and if it's actually coming from passenger side.

derektrotter said:
This may sound silly but what sort of creak is it? I've got some sort of noise in my 2012 e class but it's very intermittent, sounds more like a light rattle of trim however and seems to be coming from centre area, but just wondering if I'm mis hearing and if it's actually coming from passenger side.

It's a rubber creak, can be heard mainly next to the B pillar and top of door.

Easy way to test, find a speed hump and drive over it slow with the windows up and the radio off. When the body flex over the bump if you hear the doors creak then you could have the same issue.

derektrotter said:
I also experience a noise from central area trim in my 2011 e coupe,noticed it's always on certain road surfaces and in certain gears (2nd/3rd) so let me know if you manage to locate the noise!

I also experience a noise from central area trim in my 2011 e coupe,noticed it's always on certain road surfaces and in certain gears (2nd/3rd) so let me know if you manage to locate the noise!

Mines exactly the same on certain rough surfaces, I tried ejecting the CD once and it appeared to help so not sure if that's worth trying, waiting for my iPod cable to arrive so I can drive around without the CD in for a bit.

Theory is the CD may be vibrating, may have been a coincidence however as ejecting the CD may have affected something else.

derektrotter said:
Mines exactly the same on certain rough surfaces, I tried ejecting the CD once and it appeared to help so not sure if that's worth trying, waiting for my iPod cable to arrive so I can drive around without the CD in for a bit. Theory is the CD may be vibrating, may have been a coincidence however as ejecting the CD may have affected something else.
Oh I see however I don't have a cd in mine : /

On the drive down with no CD the issue still occured, I then pressed the plastic panel in the center where the seat heaters are and that seemed to stop it, seems like that piece of trim is vibrating.

Might be worth checking if yours has the same issue, if so next step is to work out a fix..

derektrotter said:
On the drive down with no CD the issue still occured, I then pressed the plastic panel in the center where the seat heaters are and that seemed to stop it, seems like that piece of trim is vibrating. Might be worth checking if yours has the same issue, if so next step is to work out a fix..
Yes it could be coming from that area so I will have a look.. Cheers

Hi All
i have the same creaks as you guys, i did suspect the door rubber seals. However, are you getting any water/rain coming in now you have applied the sticky back felt?
Cheers

Hi All
i have the same creaks as you guys, i did suspect the door rubber seals. However, are you getting any water/rain coming in now you have applied the sticky back felt?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom