GLC Colour options.....

What interior colour would you choose.....

• Black

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Espresso

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Saddle

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Beige

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
I have missed my ML badly.

Don't get me wrong I love the X3, it is more comfy, the interior materials are superb, the infotainment is amazing, the adpative headlights amazing, the ride is both sporty and extremely comfortable, it is does 0-60 in 7 seconds so never feels lacking, returns 40mpg round town and up to 55 on a run.

Last tank saw just over 700 miles and only cost £69 to fill it back up, so economy is stunning.

But......I do fancy another Merc, I sold my old ML and bought a 2.0T S-Line Avant, so don't have a Merc at all at the moment, and thinking I would like to try a new GLC.

I had decided on dark blue with the night package....

glc_night_blue_front.jpg

glc_night_blue_rear.jpg

Just wondering which colour way people would choose if they had to have one of these for the next 2 years....

Black
blackGLC.jpg

Espresso
espressoGLC.jpg

Saddle
saddlebrownGLC.jpg

Beige
beigeGLC.jpg

If you are leasing, then the interior probably does not matter, because the residuals are worked out before hand... Have your fav!

However, if you are buying the vehicle then you have to go with black, IMO :)

(I'm assuming that you are equally happy with all the colours you have posted, and are not secretly hankering after a particular one, such as the beige? [very smart but perhaps less appealing on re-sale]).

Cheers,
Robert

Pity its all beige not a beige and black as per the two above...

Gizee

Hate to be the bringer of bad news but the only colours available in UK are the Black and Silk Beige........others aren't available here yet...

The reason I posted is in fact, the only option in the UK if you go with the AMG Line, which is the only one you can delete all the chrome on around the windows etc. is in fact black.

There is no interior option.

I personally hate black.

It is interesting that 70% of votes so far are against black. I think it is a really strange decision from Mercedes UK, we got this with the W212 at the start, I had to go with an Avantgarde as all sports were black only.

The other issue is packs. Mercedes now offer nearly everything as part of a pack, I am used to having the interior ambient lights in my cars now, it really does make the car feel special at night, however, this €400 option in Germany is part of a £3000 pack in the UK.
Along with a panoramic roof, which I is normally around a grand and I would rather not have even if it were free.

Other brands offer packs and they are great for residuals, but they let you spec the items individually too.

I just think Mercedes UK are making some pretty stupid decisions currently. Same with things like only being able to have the larger wheels on the C350e, which then puts it into a different band and makes the point of buying a hybrid....well...pointless.

For me to order a facelift X3 with the essentials I would want would cost me £35400 before discount for a 20d xDrive with the 8 speed auto, (mine was £40k and a few things I could live without) to get those same options on the GLC 220d brings it in at £42,000 which is a pretty big jump, and I still can't have an interior I would want to be in, so it is a no go anyway.

I am going to look at the standard Sport and see if I can live with all the chrome on it, or maybe get someone local to get it all black, but Mercedes UK need to have a rethink about some of their decisions, not giving customers basic options such as colour choice is just plain dumb.

Honestly, I'd say about 1 in 8 cars go out without a black interior. MBUK made that decision because of demand, not just a finger in the air.

I only ever buy cars with black interior... it is reassuring to know I am not alone.

Honestly, I'd say about 1 in 8 cars go out without a black interior. MBUK made that decision because of demand, not just a finger in the air.

Much of that is to do with it being a cost option for anything other than black.

It's self fulfilling therefore that most will go out black.

It's like the argument about paint colours and no one choosing bright or interesting colours. Firstly because they aren't really offered except "Designo" colours. Even then it's hard work to spec your car with "Designo" options as this section has now even been removed from the MBUK website.

It used to be on the drop down menu under the motability option.

Then when you do get a price for a nice colour it's eye watering.

I've just paid £5,570 to have a Designo colour on the new MB I've ordered and even then I had to wait to find out if I could buy my car in a colour that was advertised in the showroom by way of colour swatches on the wall. The dealer didn't know, they had to email Germany for an answer to ask if it was possible and what it would cost.

This is where Audis "exclusive" colours make MB look very limited. Practically any colour you like for £2500 to £3500 depending on colour and model.

This gets worse on the £60K plus MB's which have even less colour choice if you don't want black, white or silver.

The "demand" argument is a little mute if alternatives are not freely available and MB is obstructive by lack of pricing and information if you want to actually order something with a little flair or design.

Last edited:
You looked at the Discovery Sport Guy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, it was the Disco Sport that got into the X3 last year. :D

I quite like it, but a bit utilitarian interior wise.

Plus I would much rather be in a 2 year old facelift RRS and that works out no more money wise in real terms.

Much of that is to do with it being a cost option for anything other than black.

It's self fulfilling therefore that most will go out black.

It's like the argument about paint colours and no one choosing bright or interesting colours. Firstly because they aren't really offered except "Designo" colours. Even then it's hard work to spec your car with "Designo" options as this section has now even been removed from the MBUK website.

It used to be on the drop down menu under the motability option.

Then when you do get a price for a nice colour it's eye watering.

I've just paid £5,570 to have a Designo colour on the new MB I've ordered and even then I had to wait to find out if I could buy my car in a colour that was advertised in the showroom by way of colour swatches on the wall. The dealer didn't know, they had to email Germany for an answer to ask if it was possible and what it would cost.

This is where Audis "exclusive" colours make MB look very limited. Practically any colour you like for £2500 to £3500 depending on colour and model.

This gets worse on the £60K plus MB's which have even less colour choice if you don't want black, white or silver.

The "demand" argument is a little mute if alternatives are not freely available and MB is obstructive by lack of pricing and information if you want to actually order something with a little flair or design.

We offer A, B, C, E, GLA all with lighter interiors no cost and they just don't sell

We offer A, B, C, E, GLA all with lighter interiors no cost and they just don't sell

Honestly because they aren't very well executed.

A black interior with four beige seats and some odd bits of trim fitted in them doesn't look very nice.

Also how many cars in any given showroom have anything other than black interiors?

Last edited:

Every single car in the Norwich showroom for the last.....I don't know how many years, has been black.
When I wanted to order the grey in my E Class I was advised not to because everyone buys black, and then they realised that there was no option on the sport other than black.
So I bought a used avantgarde instead....

e350_5.JPG

And, the light interior sold it as well when I moved it on.

Go into BMW and nearly every car in their showroom is anything but black and they sell loads of oyster, beige, red etc.

Our X3 is Oyster leather, just breaks it up a bit...

album-72157627899701494

Black just looks so tatty all the time, it shows up the dirt and dust far worse than a light colour.

Mercedes make it very hard to choose anything other than a a shade somewhere between black and white, a few greys in between with the paint and then interior colours are extremely limited.

Look at the C350e threads, most people are deciding between red or grey interiors, not seen anyone order in black.

I know the traders round here who sell Mercs, BMWs, Audis etc. all say that black interiors are becoming a harder sell on these marques, the lighter colours sell far quicker used.

I just think Merc have made a mistake, they did it with the 212 and backtracked and now doing it with the GLC. Shame.

Last edited:
Thinking laterally, it's the relationship between exterior and interior colour also.

A light interior doesn't particularly work well on a white, silver or light grey car. As MB's paint choices are so limited, many of them don't suit a lighter colour.

MB have some nice colours available.

Emerald Green (S class coupe)

Northern Lights violet (B class?)

Brilliant blue Metallic (C class).

Offer these across the range of cars and the uptake of light interiors increases.

This is Amerone leather on a 3 coupe, the pic was for the carbon trim, but this against white is lovely....

amerone%20(Large).jpg

It's difficult. They don't order many for stock without black, so then not many are ordered. It is something I've brought up, but it's above my pay grade. When we do get cars in with a different colour interior, they do sell. I can understand why people don't order them when they can't see them in the flesh.

It is frustrating for potential buyers when there aren't even current exterior colour samples and interior swatches available. Online simulations aren't enough when you are shelling out lots of pennies. During our recent trek around the showrooms, Landrover. BMW, VW and MB all had obsolete displays - Volvo had a current one (but ancient cars!) and Lexus didn't seem to have any samples available. Eventually the MB salesman managed to find 2 customer vehicles out the back and awaiting prep, not GLCs though, which at least gave us a clue as to what our preferred paint and upholstery would look like.
Reminded me of the Chief Exec at my old employer who specified a top of the range S-Class and promptly sent it back upon delivery as the metallic plum colour was not what she was expecting - she too had not chosen a colour based on actually eyeballing the options on real vehicles, apparently. Thankfully her performance as CEO was better than her common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom