GLC Crabbing/knocking - Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuonopepper

Car
GLC250 AMG Premium Plus. Bike: Triumph Speed Triple 94R.
So I know there's been plenty of threads on here with owners complaining about the GLC Crabbing, me included! It seems MB now accept it's an issue and have a part resolution - apologies if this is well known.

I mentioned it when it went in for service and got the customary fob off...it's a characteristic, winter tyres help.....yeh, like I'm paying for a set of winters! Anyway left it alone as learnt to live with it then.....

The other day I was reading comments on Facebook from a GLC advert MB had posted, in amongst the rage about this issue was one post that said they'd complained to MB customer service and they had said it was a known issue and they were replacing rear tyres to address the issue.

Sceptical I decided to ring them, 'yes sir, we can change the tyres to reduce the impact, who is your dealer, I'll make sure they are aware and call you to arrange'.

This was Friday and today my MB dealer has indeed rung me, not to replace the rear tyres but to replace all 4 with a set of all weathers! They just needed the details of mine and to order them in and arrange to fit them, all at zero cost! It's apparently the harder compound of the run flats fitted in UK causing the issue, or at least amplifying it, euro cars with all weathers apparently do not exhibit this symptom.

So, if you didn't, now you know. My 14000 mile worn tyres are getting replaced as soon as the new set come in, likely later this week.

James

Nice one,
Is it a swap out or do you get to keep your originals (what's left of 'em)?

I'm in exactly the same position however I was aware of the tyres from reading another thread on here.

The crabbing has actually not been as prominent these past few weeks because of the increase in temperature. My dealer said the new tyres can go on next winter and recommended that if I was happy as it is to not change them until later so I have a good few 1000 miles for free basically.

I don't have this issue on my GLC 350 however, if I do start to experience the problem, my local dealer said they'd do the same! :) Woop!

Hi all
I'm expecting my new GLC in May... I wonder whether different tires will already have been fitted? What should I look out for? Should I contact my dealer now already?

I'm struggling to understand the real cause of issue. Are changing the tires not just treating the symptoms instead of the cause? Stupid question, but does the GLC have a front differential? Is this limiting the slip too much? (please excuse my ack of technical knowledge)

thanks

Modern 4x4 Vehicles tend to use selective wheel braking as a traction and stability control. Lockable or LS diffs are usually only found on the serious mud pluggers. The GLC has front centre and rear differentials

Will ring them see what CS say about my C43. Watch this space!!

Will ring them see what CS say about my C43. Watch this space!!
Well just called MB CS who were as much use as an ash tray on a motor bike and didn't appear to know anything about AW tyres for the GLC and also were unaware that the C Class 4Matic also suffered with this 'characteristic' and suggested I contact my dealer in case there is something else wrong with the car. I think they must be in denial. Will contact my dealer and ask them about this but I would have thought by now that MB would have their act together.

Nice one,
Is it a swap out or do you get to keep your originals (what's left of 'em)?

ShaneyB: have you contacted your dealer about this and if so what was their response as MB CS say that the C Class 4Matic is not covered by the AW tyre fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom