GLC Dash Cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
I thought it was time I put my mobius dash cam in the GLC after removing it from the S205.

To help others I tried to remember to take pictures along the way.

ForumRunner_20160205_231416.jpg

Prise off the chrome piece in front of the centre console and remove above 2 screws.

With a good tug pull up the entire centre console. Lift up at the arm rest and as you pull back lower down to avoid screen. No need to unplug all the wires.

ForumRunner_20160205_231819.jpg

Locate small hole in rear of ashtray/storage and feed cable through.

ForumRunner_20160205_231939.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_232012.jpg

Feed wire down the side of the centre console and into the passenger footwell.

ForumRunner_20160205_232151.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_232205.jpg

Run cable around foot well trim, nice and easy plenty of trim to hide behind. I feed the cable round and then up through the fuse location.

ForumRunner_20160205_232417.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_232429.jpg

The up behind the rubber trim along the door and up the a pillar. No need to remove be gentle and ease the cable behind.

ForumRunner_20160205_232619.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_232638.jpg

Tuck cable behind the headlining towards the mirror housing.

Using a slim flat tool, push the locating tabs back to release the small plastic mirror stem trim.

ForumRunner_20160205_232842.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_232859.jpg

The using fingers gently pull the plastic surround against the windscreen. Even pressure all the way around and it comes away nice and easy. Here I where the ILS camera etc are placed.

Now you will need to cut the slot out for the mobius lens. Note you cannot use a C lens or wide angle as this hits the windscreen. I used a standard A lens.

ForumRunner_20160205_233223.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_233238.jpg

Once done dismantle the mobius to fit the lens extension cable. £9.99
I also fitted a super capacitor in place of the battery. £7.99

ForumRunner_20160205_233657.jpg

Using the standard mount I used a small m6 or m8 I think bolt and a nut as a spacer and secured the camera body to the plastic surround. Note the location, nearer the middle will foul on the mirror and too far left the lens cable won't reach.

ForumRunner_20160205_233947.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_233958.jpg

I purchased a slim USB connector again not to impead the mirror. I used some heat shrink to protect the cables. £2.99

ForumRunner_20160205_234145.jpg

Feed cable through and make your connections. Test camera power prior to putting everything back!!

Finished item

ForumRunner_20160205_234305.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_234315.jpg
ForumRunner_20160205_234325.jpg

You will note I have plugged the camera into a 12v/5v adapter in the aux power. I have done this to allow me to unplug it when nessary.

Can a mod turn some of the pictures the right way round? Using a phone they seem to have turned the wrong way

You sure this is not something to do with the issues you are having with your car as you posted in the other thread?

I thought it was time I put my mobius dash cam in the GLC after removing it from the S205.

To help others I tried to remember to take pictures along the way.

View attachment 55738

Prise off the chrome piece in front of the centre console and remove above 2 screws.

With a good tug pull up the entire centre console. Lift up at the arm rest and as you pull back lower down to avoid screen. No need to unplug all the wires.

View attachment 55739

Locate small hole in rear of ashtray/storage and feed cable through.

View attachment 55740
View attachment 55742

Feed wire down the side of the centre console and into the passenger footwell.

View attachment 55743
View attachment 55744

Run cable around foot well trim, nice and easy plenty of trim to hide behind. I feed the cable round and then up through the fuse location.

View attachment 55745
View attachment 55746

The up behind the rubber trim along the door and up the a pillar. No need to remove be gentle and ease the cable behind.

View attachment 55747
View attachment 55748

Tuck cable behind the headlining towards the mirror housing.

Using a slim flat tool, push the locating tabs back to release the small plastic mirror stem trim.

View attachment 55749
View attachment 55750

The using fingers gently pull the plastic surround against the windscreen. Even pressure all the way around and it comes away nice and easy. Here I where the ILS camera etc are placed.

Now you will need to cut the slot out for the mobius lens. Note you cannot use a C lens or wide angle as this hits the windscreen. I used a standard A lens.

View attachment 55751
View attachment 55752

Once done dismantle the mobius to fit the lens extension cable. £9.99
I also fitted a super capacitor in place of the battery. £7.99

View attachment 55754

Using the standard mount I used a small m6 or m8 I think bolt and a nut as a spacer and secured the camera body to the plastic surround. Note the location, nearer the middle will foul on the mirror and too far left the lens cable won't reach.

View attachment 55755
View attachment 55756

I purchased a slim USB connector again not to impead the mirror. I used some heat shrink to protect the cables. £2.99

View attachment 55757

Feed cable through and make your connections. Test camera power prior to putting everything back!!

Finished item

View attachment 55758
View attachment 55759
View attachment 55760

You will note I have plugged the camera into a 12v/5v adapter in the aux power. I have done this to allow me to unplug it when nessary.

Wow Jay - what a great, neat job. I'd love to have mine hard-wired but the thought of someone dismantling the dash concerns me cos' of breakages and creaking etc. I've got mine plugged into the ciggie lighter and have, similar to you, tucked the cables in. My camera is quite bulky compared to yours but does the job.

If you enjoyed doing it and wanna do another one - give me a shout! lol :crazy:

You sure this is not something to do with the issues you are having with your car as you posted in the other thread?

Nope only put it in yesterday. Plus this in no way is connected to the comand unit.

Last edited:
Wow Jay - what a great, neat job. I'd love to have mine hard-wired but the thought of someone dismantling the dash concerns me cos' of breakages and creaking etc. I've got mine plugged into the ciggie lighter and have, similar to you, tucked the cables in. My camera is quite bulky compared to yours but does the job.

If you enjoyed doing it and wanna do another one - give me a shout! lol :crazy:

Thanks Simon, feel a little safer on the road now :)

In fairness there is little to take apart. The dash is a 1 piece unit and similar with the window trim. Squeak & rattle free.

Nope only put it in yesterday. Plus this in no way is connected to the comand unit.

No, I meant, when you were pulling trim apart you sure you had not knocked a connector anywhere. But if you had the issue beforehand that is fine.

gIzzE said:
No, I meant, when you were pulling trim apart you sure you had not knocked a connector anywhere. But if you had the issue beforehand that is fine.

Sorry my fault miss understood. The good thing is the actual comand unit is a separate unit to the rest of the dash, didn't have to move or mess with that bit.

It doesn't need to be at the unit itself.

The orange most wires are part of a ring, they are fibre optic, break one of those and you might not know, go over a bump and it may no longer be connecting and thus you get errors. Go over another bump and back in place and connecting again and everything OK.

I broke the fibre in my 335i, it was removing the rear storage area and I knelt on the fibre cable, cracked it inside and got the sound cutting in and out. Took a while to work out it was the fibre cable.

Thanks Simon, feel a little safer on the road now :)

In fairness there is little to take apart. The dash is a 1 piece unit and similar with the window trim. Squeak & rattle free.

I know what you mean - I've captured some right numpties on my camera and it really gives me peace of mind in the knowledge I've got it recording every time I hit the road. It also makes me think about my driving style too!

Prise off the chrome piece in front of the centre console and remove above 2 screws. said:
Ive tried prising that first piece off, it comes 2/3 of the way and just sits there, looks as though it will snap if I pull it any more. it seems to be stuck at the back, as it joins the rear black section near to the USB ports
]

I watched a video. I didn't lift then press in the normal opening button. Seems you lift, press that in and hey presto that helps release it. I'll try this weekend

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Mercedes have added new accessories for earlier GLC family- namely front and rear dash cams.
wire pack, adhesive pack and micro SD card pack. Complete system excluding install with 32Gb MB card is close to AU$1200. SD card is expensive at $101 for 32Gb card.
Front A2139055310
rear. A2139055510
wire A2138209303
Does anyone have Data, specs on these units ?
Any copies of tech bulletins or install guidance ?
Any additional info how it works, wifi, Bluetooth, ?
Thanks

Mercedes have added new accessories for earlier GLC family- namely front and rear dash cams.
wire pack, adhesive pack and micro SD card pack. Complete system excluding install with 32Gb MB card is close to AU$1200. SD card is expensive at $101 for 32Gb card.
Front A2139055310
rear. A2139055510
wire A2138209303
Thanks
Interesting, do you have any links?

Front A2139055310
rear. A2139055510
wire A2138209303
Thanks
Very expensive for dashcams.

Update. Re MB dash cam.
Data seems to indicate.
- 1080p
- audio
- supercapacitor
- GPS
- WiFi module
- Smartphone app control
App called Mercedes-Benz Dashcam.
This seems to control most functions including downloads.
No idea if software has ability to hover over areas and magnify like Thinkware or Blackvue.
Site in Germany, Mercteil, has them listed with FedEx delivery.

https://mercteil.com/products/40?mai...it=12&offset=0

Aust price front camera only is RRP $831, can get it for $756 from MB Dealer with discount.
German site price is Euro 362, incl delivery that approx converts to AU $608, so about $150 cheaper from them, unknown is customs or final currency conversion depending on PayPal or bank data.

https://translate.google.com.au/tran...m/&prev=search

Cameras now in Oz data base, no stock in Oz or Singapore hub comes from Germany, allow about 4 weeks delivery to Dealer.

Cheers

Well its time for a mid life GLC upgrade.
Just purchased Dash Cam – Thinkware U1000 4K front camera, 2K rear camera with Radar parking sensor too.
Will probably have it installed by local firm to save sleepless night thinking about which terminals to use in fuse box !!
Gave up buying the MB dash cam as no details easily avail and no specs as to camera or processor.
Have not found a Utube review or seen live footage to confirm how bad or good MB version is.
Thinkware is a known product and quality - this should last for a few years now.
Will update here in a week or two after items arrive and booking made for install.

Update. Re MB dash cam.
Data seems to indicate.
- 1080p
- audio
- supercapacitor
- GPS
- WiFi module
- Smartphone app control
App called Mercedes-Benz Dashcam.
This seems to control most functions including downloads.
No idea if software has ability to hover over areas and magnify like Thinkware or Blackvue.
Site in Germany, Mercteil, has them listed with FedEx delivery.

https://mercteil.com/products/40?mai...it=12&offset=0

Aust price front camera only is RRP $831, can get it for $756 from MB Dealer with discount.
German site price is Euro 362, incl delivery that approx converts to AU $608, so about $150 cheaper from them, unknown is customs or final currency conversion depending on PayPal or bank data.

https://translate.google.com.au/tran...m/&prev=search

Cameras now in Oz data base, no stock in Oz or Singapore hub comes from Germany, allow about 4 weeks delivery to Dealer.

Cheers

Anyone running the OEM Mercedes dashcam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom