GLC - Gremlins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talltrees

Car
GLC 220d, C43 Coupe
Here is a new one

Last night I noticed a light on in the garage!

Went out to investigate; found the GLC with one headlight on nothing else.
No tail lights, DLRs or dash lights. The parking light was not set either.

Just sleeping with one eye open?

Unlocked and re-locked all OK.

That'll be the crabs getting ready for the morning's full lock session.......:rolleyes:

On two occasions the tailgate of my GLC has opened by itself overnight. The local MB dealers said there wasn't any computer fault recorded the first time and were unable to do anything but it has just happened again. Any suggestions would be welcome.

On two occasions the tailgate of my GLC has opened by itself overnight. The local MB dealers said there wasn't any computer fault recorded the first time and were unable to do anything but it has just happened again. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Mine keeps doing it and surprise surprise, Mercedes say no fault so nothing to fix...

Its great that a company of such standing assume there is nothing wrong when computer says no...

There are YouTube videos of this problem, but again Mercedes wont fix the problem.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

It's so frustrating to keep reading about faults with GLC - it's the car I'd settled my mind on to replace my old C Class estate. My wife has a Tiguan which I have to say is pretty marvellous and I wanted something slighty "better" :) but owning a GLC seems far too risky.

Apparently Mercedes have produced a software update to cure the tailgate malfunction so I'm hopeful that this will cure the problem. Watch this space!

Well our has been in for a service in March apparently had a software up date to cure but it did it again this weekend!

It has also had acoustic glass fitted which has cured the wind noise.

Michelin cross climate tyres have been fitted, it had done 18,000 mile on the original set they were very worn on the outside edge on the front but generally had another 6,000 miles in them. The car was crabbing badly on the old tyres and is definitely a lot better on the cross climates. However the problem has only been masked the car still pushes wide on loose surfaces and is also pulling up my drive paving. I am just glad the car is leased and will not be my problem in another 12 months. It will be interesting to see how the cross climate tyres wear as I thing the compound will be softer.

W

It has also had acoustic glass fitted which has cured the wind noise.

Is that double-glazing, or something else ?

I know at launch, the GLC in Europe came / could be spec'ed with double glazing. I'd have taken that option in a heartbeat, but that option never made it to the UK.

I assume switching the glass was very expensive ?

The acoustic glass was done under warranty to cure wind noise from both front windows at about 40-50 mph.
A lot of people seem to have had the problem; it was offered without much pressure - so would assume it's a known issue. Just ask you dealer about it.

It seems a bit like double glazing - a type of sandwich like construction.
The car is much quieter now definitely a good fix.

The acoustic glass was done under warranty to cure wind noise from both front windows at about 40-50 mph.
A lot of people seem to have had the problem; it was offered without much pressure - so would assume it's a known issue. Just ask you dealer about it.

It seems a bit like double glazing - a type of sandwich like construction.
The car is much quieter now definitely a good fix.

Noticed the wind noise (drivers side) on mine during a long motorway trip recently but assumed it was 'normal' Do you think it would be worth reporting it to my dealer and see what they say?:thumb:

Apparently Mercedes have produced a software update to cure the tailgate malfunction so I'm hopeful that this will cure the problem. Watch this space!
Did you get this applied, did it fix problem?

Nice to know there is a fix and nice to know the Mercedes haven't bothered to inform me.

Last edited:
The software update was installed a couple of weeks ago but last Sunday at 5am before leaving for Stansted for a weeks holiday I found the tailgate up!! I have emailed the dealer alerting them that I will be there immediately upon my return but they haven't accepted my request to tell me what they are doing to do about it. I'm staggered by the appalling customer relations from Mercedes let alone their inability to resolve this issue. Good luck with getting your problem sorted.

The software update was installed a couple of weeks ago but last Sunday at 5am before leaving for Stansted for a weeks holiday I found the tailgate up!! I have emailed the dealer alerting them that I will be there immediately upon my return but they haven't accepted my request to tell me what they are doing to do about it. I'm staggered by the appalling customer relations from Mercedes let alone their inability to resolve this issue. Good luck with getting your problem sorted.
Thanks for the update, I have had the typical Mercedes responses from two of their garages that the problem doesn't exist, where we both know and others know that they are lying through their teeth and treat their customers like complete fools.

I started a while back a complaint with the motor ombudsman as I have many many issues and Mercedes deny every single problem and treat me with complete contempt. Unfortunately I haven't been able to follow through with it yet as I have some serious medical problems to deal with. What I have been doing though is I've started to video issues...

So far I have the one head light on recorded and the loss of brakes/hand brake when the engine cuts out... I'll keep recording evidence as I build a case against them.. I need to buy a dashcam to help with this but again other things in my life take priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom