GLC or F_PACE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david b

GLC or F_PACE with all the negative comments on here leaning towards F-Pace. the dealers I have spoken to say there are no faults with the GLC?
Comments and avice please.
davidb.

Your not going to get an unbiased view on a Mercedes forum.

GLC everytime, the F-Pace looks cheap.

Your not going to get an unbiased view on a Mercedes forum.

GLC everytime, the F-Pace looks cheap.

I would concur. I think the GLC looks better than the F-Pace and the X3 and the Q5.

But I think right now there are some rather harsher views in this MB forum as regards the GLC.

The OP needs to take a look at the two major threads on the GLC - one in General and the other in the Technical section in the Brakes and Suspension discussion area.

The GLC has a geometry fault according to numerous posts on this forum and I understand conceded by Mercedes so I wouldn't buy a GLC yet.

With the F pace having a nearside drivetrain layout RHD cars are not going have the potential steering/drivetrain conflict which may lie at the root of the GLC problems? As part of the Jaguar Landrover group and sharing a platform with a new Range rover model I imagine most 4wd problems would be well sorted??

2017_jaguar_f-pace_70_1600x1200.jpg

Last edited:
GLC or F_PACE with all the negative comments on here leaning towards F-Pace. the dealers I have spoken to say there are no faults with the GLC?
davidb.

The GLC 'issue' doesnt affect them all and for some its an acceptable characteristic, to others its not.

What I would find unacceptable is paying stupid money for a car that looks old the day you drive away in it and then the value plummets like a stone. The Jaguar looks ugly and personally I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole unless it was at least half the price. It isnt engineered or built anywhere near as good as a BMW let alone a Mercedes.

If you are prepared to live dangerously of course there's always the forthcoming Stelvio :cool: [YOUTUBE]tro6HZS3rkY[/YOUTUBE]

What engine are you looking at in the F-Pace? Both the V6 diesel and petrols in the Jag are more powerful than the Mercedes offering.

The looks are always subjective thing as well; I like a clean and uncluttered dash layout and that's something the F-Pace does well, whereas I know the iPad style area in the GLC divides opinions.

Do like the back end of the GLC though, it's by far the best looking of the Mercedes 4x4 range, the dimensions look very well executed.

As they're both 'new' models, it's hard to say how the values of both will pan out, certainly the pronounced crabbing issue on the GLC could impact them.

I'm not in the soft-roader market at the moment but the last one that I saw which looked appealing to my eye was some sort of Hyundai, Tucson I think.

We have a Tucson and I wouldn't put it in the same bracket as the cars mentioned here. It is a solid car for the money, but doesn't use premium materials on all surfaces for example.

Of the two mentioned, I would certainly give the F Pace a good consideration. I personally prefer the looks both inside and outside over the GLC. Only knw of 1 F Pace owner, but their experience so far seems to be very positive. And they came from a Audi SUV.

davidb.

I changed from owning 3 diesel SUV's in succession to a C Class 4Matic with a 3.0 petrol engine the C43 AMG Estate. I do around 12,000 miles PA and fancied a change as diesel is starting to get a kicking now and also liked the idea of AWD but didn't want the bulk of another SUV. So all I can say to you is if you really want a SUV then I can recommend the Audi SQ5 but the current generation is looking a little dated now and check out the new 3.0 Q5 which I'm sure will be good. As for the Jag, some years ago I had a brand new X-Type 3.0 petrol and one morning it stopped working and turned out to be the wiring loom. Fortunately, the dealership refunded all my money and I have not returned to Jag again. Having said that I would never buy another BMW for similar reasons. I know the GLC is taking a kicking at the moment so take it for a test drive and see how you get on but don't dismiss sporty estates as they are pretty good as well. Good luck with your choice.

Sounds obvious, but ...Have a go in both and see which you like best. Neither is a bad car, and the things which will make one more attractive than the other will very likely be subjective in nature.

Mrs D had an F-Pace for a few days, and she (subjectively) didn't like it. Performance of the 2.0 diesel was on the tardy side, visibility was very limited, and the layout of the controls was less intuitive than she's used to. Very valid for her, but coming from a big engined, full size SUV made Mercedes those comments are more unique to her.

For me, it was a nice enough place to sit, but very dark inside. However I rode shotgun on a 4 mile journey, so my views probably don't help either!

One is a Mercedes, the other is just a car lol

Sorry i'm biased

I've got a GLC here at the moment and will have a Disco Sport delivered on Wednesday. Will try and get them out together and write a comparison.

I've been at that choice, and choose the GLC43 AMG. My neighbour has the F-Pace S in diesel. Both are nice looking to me, but as we came from the GLS we wanted to downsize and the F-Pace is significantly larger.

Others on our list were the Macan and the Levante. Levante again removed because it is too large, the Macan felt cramped on the inside to us.

If I can get out of my GLC43 AMG, if it wasn't for this stupid crabbing issue which Mercedes has confirmed affects ALL GLC models in RHD drive I wouldn't, then I would add the Alfa-Romeo Stelvio to the list as well. But that isn't available to order until August time according to my dealer.

Well here goes , going to upset some people , but we're all entitled to our opinions.
Haven't driven either the F Pace or the GLC so unable to comment on drive, engine etc but the F Pace looks more "masculine " and balanced whereas the GLC looks odd from some angles and would look more at home on the school run than going cross country. Similar to the difference between an BMW X3 and an BMW X5 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom