GLC or F_PACE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well here goes , going to upset some people , but we're all entitled to our opinions.
Haven't driven either the F Pace or the GLC so unable to comment on drive, engine etc but the F Pace looks more "masculine " and balanced whereas the GLC looks odd from some angles and would look more at home on the school run than going cross country. Similar to the difference between an BMW X3 and an BMW X5 .

Not me, you are describing exactly the reason why we got ours. My wife wanted a 'feminine' vehicle, not something that looks like a mans car.

I'm not with you regarding the X3/X5 I think both will weep and hide behind a tree when they see a little bit of mud :p But at least they are good on the road.

Would not touch a f pace with a barge pole they also have
There problems it's just another normal jag on steroids

Each to their own - but the F-Pace can't be that bad -after all, it has become the fastest-selling car in the company’s history.I remember the doom mongers in hysterics warning Porsche not to make the "too ugly they will never sell" Cayenne and Panamera.

Hi,
How about the new Range Rover Velar?
It looks amazing!
Cheers
Steve

To me it has the problem that all Range Rover cars have; way too common. I've got to say the GLC is going that way as well. Or perhaps I should move from where I live; but the default choice around here is Land Rover with their Range Rover brand. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that their Jaguar brand is not that common. But I can just see the Velar going down to be ordered by everyone. Nice car but to me that is off putting.

With regard to the comment about Porsche Cayenne and Panamera being "too ugly they will never sell"...

Well, one out of two ain't bad....

Maybe you need to move!!

Surely it is the same for Lamborghini where you live ;)

But yes around me, people seem to be really looking down on German brands. Suits me just fine as I am from Germanic background :D

Surely it is the same for Lamborghini where you live ;)

But yes around me, people seem to be really looking down on German brands. Suits me just fine as I am from Germanic background :D

Hi,
It's far worse than that!
Every other Mercedes is an AMG! - common as muck!
Cheers
Steve

Well here goes , going to upset some people , but we're all entitled to our opinions.
Haven't driven either the F Pace or the GLC so unable to comment on drive, engine etc but the F Pace looks more "masculine " and balanced whereas the GLC looks odd from some angles and would look more at home on the school run than going cross country. .

Daughters partner has had both - GLC 250d AMG line and F Pace R Line 2.0d. Maybe your comments account for why my daughter preferred Merc and he prefers Jag.

For me Jag is too big, so Merc is more the size i would pick. GLC 43 would be ideal apart from the skipping issue. Velar is way too expensive. new SQ5 looks interesting too, and new XC60 announced today looks very nice - although you cant get a "performance" petrol yet...

But yes around me, people seem to be really looking down on German brands.

In which way?

In the UK, until the GLC came along, I think Mercedes SUVs had been in decline for several years. I'm pretty sure that the sale of W163 and W164 MLs were much bigger than the W166 ML/GLE. Same is probably true for the X5 too.

Land Rover, Range Rover and possibly Audi seem to have taken much if the ground previously held by Mercedes and BMW - it's an image conscious segment, and they "get" image better than anyone else right now.

Like dejong being the minority or left field choice appeals to me.

We're now facing the SUV dilemma to replace my wife's 3 year old Evoque that's started to become a bit too unreliable to keep out of warranty.

She still loves it and we could just purchase an extended warranty but she's now semi-retired and the option of going for something new, cheaper, and more economical is looking more attractive.

She's fond of the GLA but I find them too much of a compromise. Like most of the smaller better brand SUVs, if you spec them up to decent levels you can get well over £30K without much effort, and then start to think about Lexus NX, X1s, Q3 etc.

I thought about; the new 3008, CX5, Kodiaq, Ateca, CRH, Tiguan, Edge, Clubman, etc but none quite seem enticing or good enough.

Maybe waiting for the new XC60 is not a bad option.

This comes from friend of mine working at Jag dealer as technician. He said there are lots of F paces coming back to workshop under warranty. As it is a new area for Jag F its not complete, we can say
Mercedes all day long

Borys said:
This comes from friend of mine working at Jag dealer as technician. He said there are lots of F paces coming back to workshop under warranty. As it is a new area for Jag F its not complete, we can say Mercedes all day long
Mercedes all day long for a bit of crab.. ;p

We're now facing the SUV dilemma to replace my wife's 3 year old Evoque that's started to become a bit too unreliable to keep out of warranty.

She still loves it and we could just purchase an extended warranty but she's now semi-retired and the option of going for something new, cheaper, and more economical is looking more attractive.

She's fond of the GLA but I find them too much of a compromise. Like most of the smaller better brand SUVs, if you spec them up to decent levels you can get well over £30K without much effort, and then start to think about Lexus NX, X1s, Q3 etc.

I thought about; the new 3008, CX5, Kodiaq, Ateca, CRH, Tiguan, Edge, Clubman, etc but none quite seem enticing or good enough.

Maybe waiting for the new XC60 is not a bad option.

Hi,
Before our ML63, my wife had a 2013 Tiguan R-line with the 2 litre Golf Gti engine - it was a real flyer and totally reliable. Looked good in white with the big alloys and black leather interior.
The new shape Tiguan looks even better now and in higher spec models has plenty of safety and interesting toys.
I would get one of these over the other models you listed.
Cheers
Steve

Hi,
Before our ML63, my wife had a 2013 Tiguan R-line with the 2 litre Golf Gti engine - it was a real flyer and totally reliable. Looked good in white with the big alloys and black leather interior.
The new shape Tiguan looks even better now and in higher spec models has plenty of safety and interesting toys.
I would get one of these over the other models you listed.
Cheers
Steve

I would agree the new Tiguan is a great choice, and looks fantastic as specified on the current (UK) TV advert. That said, the models towards the top of the range are in a very similar price range to F-Pace, GLC, Evoque, etc.

However Volkswagen do some great lease deals through brokers, which makes them much closer in price to non-premium rivals.

Volvo just unveiled the new XC60, deliveries from Sept. So that's another one to dial into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom