GLC - to sell or not to sell....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonRJ

Car
2015 GLC 250 AMG - previous cars 2014 ML350 AMG and C220CDI Sport
I've got a dilemma....

I've had my GLC 250 AMG since October last year (got one of the first ones) and really love the car but I work from home and quite often 10-14 days go by where I've not even used it. It's kept in the garage, still looks like brand new and gets the odd dust off.

We tend to use the Wife's A class AMG so the GLC's only done 5,700 miles and I'm considering selling it. Not sure I can justify the monthly cost considering the use it's getting.

The dealer has offered me the same as the outstanding balance on the finance (funnily enough!) If I paid the finance off and sold it privately, I could be £1,500-£2,000 better off but I doubt a private buyer would want to spend mid £30k ish when they can get finance and warranties etc from a dealer.

So, do I sell? Do I take the dealer offer and walk away to save several hundred £'s each month or pay the finance off, get it on Autotrader and get bombarded with fraudulent approaches and tyre kickers......

Hand it back, save the pennies.

Or maybe get a classic that lives in the garage used for high days and holidays.

Hand it back, save the pennies.

Or maybe get a classic that lives in the garage used for high days and holidays.

Exactly what this gentleman says.

Get the money without hassle, no problem with idiots trying to be dealers and knocking money off left right and centre. I also agree with buying something to play with on rainy days. :D

Stick it on Autotrader and see if you get any traders after it, I've sold loads of cars this way. Or you could try Tootle. How does the dealers offer compare to We Buy Any Car?

yeah, selling a car in the mid-£30s privately is very very slow. We once put Dad's Jaguar XF-R on sale privately... We had loads of dealers knocking us down by a good few thousand, and time wasters who just wanted to have a go in it.

Save yourself the hassle and take the £2,000 hit because otherwise you'll have dealers trying to knock you down by £5000 ! - better to hand it back :)

Mmm, thanks for your comments. I could quite easily make back the difference after just a couple of months and you've got me thinking about 'something for the weekend' now!

Tried WBAC - £31k!! Might try and see what Tootle comes up with....

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I sold my tranny van to WBAV.com.

The online quote was £8660 but after a walk around inspection at the Carlisle branch they offered £8360

The usual stone chips and one kurbed alloy. All in all I was very happy with their service.

I'm guessing your GLC is immaculate Simon so the online quote should be bang on.

Keep us posted.

Ant.

If you can advertise for free , stick it on for a week or two and see if you get lucky ; if not then take the dealer offer .

Once your garage is empty - get a R129 - prices are on the rise so it will make money rather than lose it ; it will be fun to drive and get you noticed more than any humdrum new car :D

I've got a dilemma....

.. I work from home and quite often 10-14 days go by where I've not even used it.....

Interesting thread. I have a similar dilemma as I work from home too but have to do the odd trip, perhaps once a month, down South. Apart from that I basically don't use my car. Had the brake discs changed earlier this year as the rust had build up too much...

But the car is unfeasibly old now. It gets commented on when I go into the office. I worry about it breaking down - anything at all significant would write it off.

I'd love a GLC (wife has a pretty new VW Tiguan, so vaguely similar) but buying one to sit there just seems bonkers. I really wouldn't want to be without my own car though.

I work from home. I can't justify owning any of the cars that I do. I enjoy them though.

Same as above really. We lease an E Class. Mrs Ant doesn't drive unless she's up to it and I'm in the van during my working week.

Well do about 3-4K pa miles in the car but it's still nice to get into after driving the van. Money well spent for the feel good factor.

Stick it on Autotrader and see if you get any traders after it, I've sold loads of cars this way. Or you could try Tootle. How does the dealers offer compare to We Buy Any Car?

Same as above really. We lease an E Class. Mrs Ant doesn't drive unless she's up to it and I'm in the van during my working week.

Well do about 3-4K pa miles in the car but it's still nice to get into after driving the van. Money well spent for the feel good factor.

Mrs J leases a little A class AMG and it's great fun so we tend to use that at the weekends. If I'm nice to her she lets me borrow it!

Have had a couple of offers but not enough to tempt me at the mo and it's amazing how they vary too.

I work from home. I can't justify owning any of the cars that I do. I enjoy them though.

Me too. Problem is, I took the car out of the garage at the weekend, spent 2 hours on it with all my cleaning gear then put it straight back!

I say if you are going to shift it, don't waste time just do it,
and as said above from a few members buy a car that you will be happy to keep
and use occasionally.

This is the sort of car you want if you have £35k sat in the garage most of the time....

Porsche Cayman 3.4 2dr (start/stop)

media

Also, in 3 years time that will be worth twice what a GLC is worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom