GLC Tyre Noise - Humming very loud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samc220

Car
C220
Hello,

I picked up a 2016 GLC AMG Premium yesterday, it has 20 inch Bridgestone tyres on the optional alloys. (255/45 R20 MOE) The car is great other than one rather annoying issue.

At motorway speeds the car emits a humming noise from the tyres, this happens nearly all of the time a varying levels, it is audiable but not intrusive on most of the M20 but does increase in certain parts. There is one bit of the M25 round by the A3 where the surface is yellow concrete where it is so loud you wouldnt be able to hold a conversation in the car.

The car was an ex-demo and has covered 4000 miles or so, I reported it to the dealer today who told me that they had never noticed any sort of an issue with it. Its booked into the dealer for them to look at it on Monday.

The car has MOE tyres which are made by either Bridgestone or Pirelli, most of the other cars on autotrader etc... with the same wheels have Pirelli tyres so I am wondering if this is a Bridgestone issue?

Has anyone else had the same sort of problem with a GLC? I am wondering if it maybe a defective tyre or two or if the Bridgestone tyres are noisy compared to the Pirelli?

Thanks

Sam

Junction 8/9 of the M25 has been discussed on here before (I live by J6 M25).

In our SL it is positively unpleasant (19" Pirelli P zero) unless I travel at over 80mph (allegedly), there seems to be a frequency resonance caused by the concrete design on that section. It's also far worse on the anti clockwise carriageway (from J9 to J8).

So don't put this down to your car or tyres, it's the road surface.

It is far less prominent in out E class which runs 18" continentals.

Last edited:
There are quieter tyes around but it's a bit of an indulgence if the original set have only done 4K miles. The 45 aspect ratio will not help either.

Probably best to avoid that bit of road and keep the money in your wallet...

Thanks for the replies

I am going to give the dealer a chance to test it and see what they say..... I suspect they will probably say there is nothing wrong with it but just for peace of mind really.

It maybe that it will reduce as the tyres wear, (or get worse lol)

Ta

Sam

Hi

A quick update - I took it back to the supplying dealer who drove it around a bit, kept it all day for some reason then told me they couldn't hear the noise Turns out they must have better quality roads than the ones i normally use.

They advise me to take it to a dealer local to a road that makes noise which I am doing tomorrow morning..... all good fun!

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom