GLC - Which model and which fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

REDCAPPER

Car
GLC 250d SPORT, C200 1.5 EQ Boost
I'm looking to buy a GLC but undecided on which model ( amg, urban, sport) , I;m also veering towards petrol but would like some advice from owners or previous owners on here.

I'm looking to buy a GLC but undecided on which model ( amg, urban, sport) , I;m also veering towards petrol but would like some advice from owners or previous owners on here.
Hi Redcapper. I have always been a big engine fan and previously had a GLC 350d when I downsized from a GLE 350d. It was a very good car and returned close to 40 mpg on motorway trips. It was a high grade Premium Plus version and I enjoyed it very much. However, I then sold my SL 400 when rationalising from three cars to two. Having loved the 3 litres and 365 bhp of the SL I wanted a car that would provide SUV practicality with sports car performance so recently bought an AMG GLC 43. It really fits the bill for me. It sometimes gets to 30 mpg but usually between 25 and 30 mpg. We do a modest mileage of about 5k per year so the fuel use is not a bank buster but could be if you do a high mileage.
Good luck with your considerations!

Hi Redcapper. I have always been a big engine fan and previously had a GLC 350d when I downsized from a GLE 350d. It was a very good car and returned close to 40 mpg on motorway trips. It was a high grade Premium Plus version and I enjoyed it very much. However, I then sold my SL 400 when rationalising from three cars to two. Having loved the 3 litres and 365 bhp of the SL I wanted a car that would provide SUV practicality with sports car performance so recently bought an AMG GLC 43. It really fits the bill for me. It sometimes gets to 30 mpg but usually between 25 and 30 mpg. We do a modest mileage of about 5k per year so the fuel use is not a bank buster but could be if you do a high mileage.
Good luck with your considerations!
Thanks for your feedback

I have just purchased a 2021 GLC 300 which has the 2 litre petrol engine with 48 volt mild hybrid system.

Before this I had an E Coupe with 2 litre Diesel engine.

The GLC is extremely quiet on the move and really rapid, I believe 0-60 is 6 seconds but one or 2 reviewers have done it in around 5 1/2 seconds, on a long drive it will average 40+ mpg but averages around 34 ish Normally which is way below the diesel E Coupe.

I do a small mileage around 500 miles per year so petrol suits me and as I’m getting older an SUV is much easier to get in/out of.

It surprised me how much quieter the GLC is than the E Coupe and not in my view due to being petrol over diesel as both engines are quiet on the move, my GLC has Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres which are not run flats, the E Coupe had run flats and firmer suspension which I believe is the reason the E Class was noisier.

Robin

I have just purchased a 2021 GLC 300 which has the 2 litre petrol engine with 48 volt mild hybrid system.

Before this I had an E Coupe with 2 litre Diesel engine.

The GLC is extremely quiet on the move and really rapid, I believe 0-60 is 6 seconds but one or 2 reviewers have done it in around 5 1/2 seconds, on a long drive it will average 40+ mpg but averages around 34 ish Normally which is way below the diesel E Coupe.

I do a small mileage around 500 miles per year so petrol suits me and as I’m getting older an SUV is much easier to get in/out of.

It surprised me how much quieter the GLC is than the E Coupe and not in my view due to being petrol over diesel as both engines are quiet on the move, my GLC has Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres which are not run flats, the E Coupe had run flats and firmer suspension which I believe is the reason the E Class was noisier.

Robin
I should have put 5000 miles per year not 500.

Robin

I’ve a GLC250 Sport. I get low 20’s mpg around the town, except Winter when it drops to high teens, and never seen the 40 mpg mark on a long steady drive. Needless to say I’m not impressed at all with the economy.

I’ve a GLC250 Sport. I get low 20’s mpg around the town, except Winter when it drops to high teens, and never seen the 40 mpg mark on a long steady drive. Needless to say I’m not impressed at all with the economy.
I very rarely drive in urban environments and as I have only had the car for around 4 weeks I’m not in a position to say.

Mine has the mild hybrid system so maybe that makes a difference, there is certainly none or very little engine braking in Eco or Comfort mode but there is in Sport and Sport+

Yours does sound low but maybe mine will drop drastically if I did much nr an driving.

Robin

Mine isn't particularly efficient, GLC250 petrol, high twenties about town but high 30's, even seen 40, on a long run. About to swop mine for a GLB in the hope of better economy.

Thanks for the feedback, I dont think I will be doing too high milage as I intend to retire soon, maybe 4-5k per year. I wont do a lot of city driving so petrol would be ok if I can get high 30s mpg. I have a bit of fear with what is going to happen with diesel as the greens seem to be dictating policy in Scotland. so I'm trying to convince myself petrol is the best option.

I have the GLC 300 245hp or thereabouts diesel... I get mid 30's went newcastle n back got 52mpg used 3rd of a tank pretty good best bit is the cruise control... unlike the 2016 C class ( could never figure it out or even use)
I love it yes more thirsty than that C class estate but not much... chip shortage is a put off less this n that for same price.

By way of an update I ended up buying a GLC220d, the available diesel cars were better spec and the 50+ mpg swayed me.
I hope I have made the right choice.
Having had the E220d (same engine as you) I don't think you will be disappointed its basically 200BHP and actually quite rapid, linked to an auto gearbox it was really sweat to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom