GLC Wind Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prinkink2

Car
cls 63 amg
My new GLC has terrible wind noise above 50mph and can be heard at speeds as low as 35mph if there is anything but the slightest cross wind. It seems exactly like the problem being described by the C Class owners (buffeting at top end of front side windows) and it's driving me crazy.
My dealer is looking into getting the acoustic glass pack fitted under warranty but I have had no confirmation that MB will allow this as it is not supposed to be available on UK spec cars.
MB they claim that they have had no other reports of this issue from any other GLC owners and I am afraid that they are going to deny the problem exists as they initially did with the C Class.

Anybody else with the same issue ?

I can get a bit of wind noise but as I owned a w205 prior to the GLC I've not noticed much difference.

In the C class I 'think' it's something to do with the door seals in vehicles built probably before about September 2015? My C Class is OK built around Sept/Oct or maybe I got lucky, but the older demonstrators I drove had the wind noise like you haven't fully closed the windows.

Maybe a seal replacement sorts out the issue?

There is a bit of wind noise at motorway speeds. I had the rare opportunity to sit in the passenger seat on Monday, and noticed it. At a guess it appeared to be from the "top forward" part of the door, or perhaps the mirror. I generally find the car to be quiet quite.

Had the acoustic glass pack (side windows only) fitted under warranty and am glad to say that the wind noise issue has been resolved.
Wind noise is now inaudible at speeds up to 60 mph. It becomes audible at speeds above 60 mph but does not become intrusive until over 80 mph but even then it is on par with other cars I have owned/driven.

Seems an odd solution. In what way are the acoustic windows different to standard - are they thicker?

The glass is a 3 part sandwich. It has the inner/outer glass and what looks like a plastic composite in-between. This can clearly be seen from the top edge of the windows when you wind then down but otherwise you wouldn't know.
I haven't measured the thickness but the guy at my MB dealer did say it was thicker and it certainly looks a bit thicker than the rear side windows.

I had a similar issue in my last 2012 c class. Sounded like it came from passenger side edge of windscreen or passenger front window (was very hard to pinpoint). Every time it went back to dealer I asked them to look at it but they could never find anything but then 2 years into ownership I had to have a new windscreen fitted due to a stone chip and crack and noise disappeared.

My C-Class luckily seems to avoid this, although I have noticed I get quite a lot of noise from the passenger wheel arch when it's raining, in fact it's the only car I've ever noticed hearing the water splash up into the arches. It sounds like someone is jet washing it as I'm driving along. Anyone have the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom