GLC world shortage computer chips - features removed on 2021 models ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teckno

Car
GLC Wagon & GLC Coupe
Interesting report from owner in Australia.
I wonder if UK and USA models will suffer same issues ?

“ Visited Mercedes-Benz Sydney (Alexandria) today and absolute craziness there today (end of month deliveries, etc).
Anyway, managed to chat to two of the sales guys who had a bit of time – Yes, it is confirmed that 2021 GLC's will not have Mercedes Pre-safe fitted as there is a shortage of computer chips. This is mainly due to political tensions between China, Taiwan and Germany; and the China (who's a massive purchaser of Mercedes vehicles) not wanting Germany to deal with Taiwan (who's the biggest producer of semi-conductors/CPU's/chips in the world).

For those who don't know what Pre-Safe is – it is basically the safety system that controls the selt belt tensions, adjustment of headrests, sunroof & window closure system when the car senses a possible crash. It also controls the autonomous braking, and works alongside the adaptive cruise control.

They are not sure when chip supplies will improve, but they are basically delivering cars without this important safety feature and giving customers a $545 credit. “

I hope it is not the case, surely safety rating impact, but more importantly I would be concerned if I was a new buyer.

Nothing against you, but I dont believe that at all. There is no way MB would leave pre-safe out of a build, their models NCAP ratings are based upon those features. Pre-safe is fairly old tech now (over 10 year old), its not a new function and is fully intregrated into safety.

Microchips are used in everything on cars, so it wouldnt just effect Pre-safe.

This sounds like one of those made up chain letter type stories shared on FB.

Nothing against you, but I dont believe that at all. There is no way MB would leave pre-safe out of a build, their models NCAP ratings are based upon those features. Pre-safe is fairly old tech now (over 10 year old), its not a new function and is fully intregrated into safety.

Microchips are used in everything on cars, so it wouldnt just effect Pre-safe.

This sounds like one of those made up chain letter type stories shared on FB.
@KillerHERTZ It appears you are mistaken and @Teckno was relaying accurate news, and it's not just limited to Mercedes.

A statement from Mercedes confirmed a shortage of semiconductors (computer chips) has affected the availably of the Pre-Safe advanced safety tech on A-Class, B-Class, CLA, GLA and GLB (pictured below).

“For these vehicles the Pre-Safe system is currently not available to order and we are unable to say when things will change at a production level,” said a spokesman from Mercedes-Benz Australia.

The company said Pre-Safe is a “supplementary safety system that triggers anticipatory occupant protection measures, such as moving seats and closing the windows/sunroof, if the vehicle detects an accident is imminent”.

“Otherwise,” Mercedes said, “the standard suite of electronic safety aids remains equipped as normal in these vehicles, including Active Brake Assist, ESP (stability control), and Active Lane Keep Assist, and any ANCAP ratings are unaffected.”

A statement from BMW Australia confirmed there is “an impact on the availability of some options due to shortages in the supply of semiconductors”.

A BMW dealer bulletin says some of the more advanced safety systems have been deleted so the cars themselves can retain their planned production slots. Customers who want the extra safety features face further delays for their new cars.

Source: BMW/Merc remove safety tech due to chip shortage

For further evidence of the situation in Australia, here is a post where Australian MB customers are discussing that some cars are being built without pre-safe and how they feel about that change

New UK C Class is missing Burmester audio and

"Owing to supply shortages, availability of the communication module (LTE) for certain vehicles may be temporarily restricted. This situation particularly affects the Mercedes me connect services, including the emergency call system (eCall)"

My son's got an A250e on order (lease)since May, been told yesterday - no charging pad, no keyless entry, no Burmester and no 3D funnction on satnav. Worst of all no price reduction, take it or leave it.

Same issue in the UK. I was quoted a 6 to 12 month wait for a new E class with the driving assistance package. I ended up buying a used one with 10500k on the clock.

Hopefully next year things get better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom