GLE Coupe - Petrol or Diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edmiston

Car
VW
Hi all, Merc newbie here. Was working in the States for a few weeks there and our car while there was a really well specced C300. Anyway. It totally captured me. The cabin, the electronics, the 9G tronic, etc etc. We were looking at getting a new car before hand and were swinging back and forth between a Q7 or an X5/X6 but after my Merc experience I have decided to go for it and now have my heart set on a GLE Coupe.

Got my eye on a couple of pre-reg. One a GLE 43 and the other a GLE 350d. Both similar spec with AirMatic suspension etc. The petrol is £6k more expensive but willing to go the extra mile (or 6) if the petrol is simply a much better car. Any input and what is the better engine taking the following into consideration, in no particular order:
1. Driving will be mainly city/urban/B road during the week. Short trips/multiple short trips. Every other weekend longer motorway trips Ranging from 50-300 miles each way.
2. Future resale value.
3. Reliability and robustness. Is there a clear winner between Mercedes petrols and diesels?

The Mercedes V6 in the 350d is a nice engine. The V6 petrol engine is much better. It sounds better, it feels better, it is better. The diesel will give slightly better fuel consumption on long motorway journeys, but little difference during short trips. Resale of the petrol version is likely to be better in the current climate.

Reactions: GLK
The Mercedes V6 in the 350d is a nice engine. The V6 petrol engine is much better. It sounds better, it feels better, it is better. The diesel will give slightly better fuel consumption on long motorway journeys, but little difference during short trips. Resale of the petrol version is likely to be better in the current climate.

Well I would just have to disagree with that! As a GLE 350d owner I prefer the diesel version, not only that I'm getting up to 800miles from a tank of fuel, but also the 350 petrol has nothing like the low down shove of the turbo diesel. To make the same 'progress' the petrol version has to be revved much more making a very relaxing and quiet car somewhat frenetic.
Each to their own of course....and who's to say that in another few years we won't be seeing a petrol backlash!
PS. I do own petrol powered vehicles, but for this one when a choice is available, I'll take the 'ol wood burner.

The GLE43 feels much quicker than the 350d.

390hp and 580nm
vs
258hp and 620nm

Also, being classed as AMG will see far better residuals in 3 years time.

Depends what you want the car for but the GLE 43 is a very nice place to be and very nearly a real AMG (I’ll duck now to dodge the bullets;):rolleyes:)
Economy will be vastly different of course

Not sure it is that much in it.

Good customer of mine has gone GLE 350d to GLE 43 and says he is seeing around 4-5mpg difference, for his 15k miles a year it is about £12 a week difference.

My older ML350 diesel that is still for sale at the dealers, i p/ex'd it for an Audi S5 last November so i guess not many buyers for big diesels.

Neither are particularly economical in the GLE Coupe, so I’d go for the more exciting option. We have both on our demo fleet at the moment and I do love the V6 sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My older ML350 diesel that is still for sale at the dealers, i p/ex'd it for an Audi S5 last November so i guess not many buyers for big diesels.

If you look at the stats, demand for used diesels is actually up at the moment, maybe because of the lack of used cars being registered with Diesel engines.

It’s not like there’s a petrol option instead of an ML350, so I doubt it’ll be the fuel that’s an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom