GLE or GLC my next car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GLC's have the option of an off road pack, this gives different wheels and under body protection, also adds an additional driving mode for off road but dont recall if it gives HDC. I've got a GLC and its great car.
Thanks to all for the recent comments.
All the GLEs from 2016 on seem to have HDC but under a different name - Downhill Speed Regulation - DSR.
Looks as if it is rare in GLCs.
Stubax, is the full lock tyre scrubbing issue resolved on newer GLCs?
The comments on Artico are valid and an online check of the manufacturing spec is a way of checking leather versus Artico. I'll ask for the VIN numbers of the cars that I'm seriously looking at.
Regarding tyres, I have winter wheels and tyres for the X3 and may do the same for the next car.
Thanks guys.

The scrubbing issue is now resolved on all GLC models except AMG 43/63's, since @Sept 2018 with some earlier models retrofitted. No issues with my car.

I find my GLC the most uncomfortable car I've had. Came down from a S212 which was lovely and comfy, this one my leg goes to sleep despite trying numerous seat positions, it just doesn't feel big enough

My wife had a GLE for a week and we nearly ordered one, I think they say the GLC has the features comparable to the C, the GLE to the E-class and the S is comparable to the S class. Thank goodness my wife did not try the GLS. I confess I quite liked the GLE but they just remind me too much of American 4x4's and just do not look like a Mercedes. I think the real spoller for me was that awful\nice :rolleyes::rolleyes: stupid\good puddle light thingie that is the Mercedes icon. DEFINITELY not to my taste :) Yup each to their own and I accept folks here really like it and much respect to them. I am old school (I even spell that word correctly) The only place for that three pointed star is on the bonnet and YES our new E-class will have that iconic fixture.

My vote is for the GLE

To those that had owned the 420Cdi, how does the smaller engined GLE compare?

STOP THE CLOCK....... I have just noticed we can now buy the GL Maybach!! Why are we talking cheap, or cheep, cheep? Take away that AWFUL grille of the Maybach and you are cooking... that is clearly the car you want. Forget the GLC or GLE. You know it makes sense, what are you waiting for? :) A bargain at £169, 985 ::eek::eek::eek::eek: Just found out the cheapest Maybach might 'only' be £169 plus a few pence

Last edited:
My wife had a GLE for a week and we nearly ordered one, I think they say the GLC has the features comparable to the C, the GLE to the E-class and the S is comparable to the S class. Thank goodness my wife did not try the GLS. I confess I quite liked the GLE but they just remind me too much of American 4x4's and just do not look like a Mercedes. I think the real spoller for me was that awful\nice :rolleyes::rolleyes: stupid\good puddle light thingie that is the Mercedes icon. DEFINITELY not to my taste :) Yup each to their own and I accept folks here really like it and much respect to them. I am old school (I even spell that word correctly) The only place for that three pointed star is on the bonnet and YES our new E-class will have that iconic fixture.

My vote is for the GLE

To those that had owned the 420Cdi, how does the smaller engined GLE compare?

STOP THE CLOCK....... I have just noticed we can now buy the GL Maybach!! Why are we talking cheap, or cheep, cheep? Take away that AWFUL grille of the Maybach and you are cooking... that is clearly the car you want. Forget the GLC or GLE. You know it makes sense, what are you waiting for? :) A bargain at £169, 985 ::eek::eek::eek::eek: Just found out the cheapest Maybach might 'only' be £169 plus a few pence
John, what will you do if you have branded puddle light on your new car!!?? 😳

Best ask Mrs Glojo to meet the delivery man with a roll of electrical tape to cover them up before you see it!! 😁

John, what will you do if you have branded puddle light on your new car!!?? 😳

Best ask Mrs Glojo to meet the delivery man with a roll of electrical tape to cover them up before you see it!! 😁
:) :) Do not even think those thoughts.

I think she who must be obeyed, like them, I know my daughter did. :( :(

Seats on our E-Class Cab have adjustable lumbar support - 2 separate inflatable cushions which is a nice feature.
Regarding the leather though, many of the GLC and some of the GLE adverts I've viewed have Artico "leather" - compare that to the real stuff.
I've had very good seats on several other MBs that I have owned, the best of all being those in my SL 400. The three GLEs that I am loooking at are all described as having leather but in fact the data sheets show that they are all Artico, despite being offered for sale by franchised but non-MB dealerships. Having said that, I had an E350 Coupe in the past with Artico and it was quite acceptable.

I've had very good seats on several other MBs that I have owned, the best of all being those in my SL 400. The three GLEs that I am loooking at are all described as having leather but in fact the data sheets show that they are all Artico, despite being offered for sale by franchised but non-MB dealerships. Having said that, I had an E350 Coupe in the past with Artico and it was quite acceptable.
I think you'll find that for the E-class, it is dependant on the year and the model, whether you get plastic seats or leather. My only GLE experience was with the one we used and that had BLACK nappa leather, which I thought was standard

Don't forget dear Mittel and Southern Englanders that there are such things as snow and hills. Both are available here for a few, sometimes several days a year. Having owned a Freelander with HDC, I can assure you that it is absolutely invaluable downhill on the white stuff - hence my original question.
Isn't BD making a point about the use of 4x4's off-road, rather than in a dash of snow on a bit of a hill ?

The thing "We Southerners" notice when we drive around Scotland, Scandinavia and the Alps is that all locals drive very modest little front wheel drive cars, equipped with the right tyres, not Porsche Cayennes on 21 inch wheels.

Any car for the German market can cope with snow covered hill roads. But Germans and Swiss who use cars in those conditions know they should use the right tyres.

There's a lot of Winnie the Pooh talked about needing a Volvo XC90 in case it snows, but most XC90 owners are buying it as a safe estate car with curry hooks and plenty of space for the school bags.

I think you'll find that for the E-class, it is dependant on the year and the model, whether you get plastic seats or leather. My only GLE experience was with the one we used and that had BLACK nappa leather, which I thought was standard
Black Artico seems to be the standard spec. I would love to have nappa leather if I could find one!

Black Artico seems to be the standard spec. I would love to have nappa leather if I could find one!
Interesting as it was last year that we had the demo GLE and yes, I can now confirm that black nappa leather was standard even for the basic 300D.

I have just checked the UK website and yup, nappa leather is the basic spec for the seats oh and yes you can have it in ANY colour. Yup, any colour you want as long as it is black :)

Standard spec for the new GLB is Artico
Many adverts I read for GLC were also Artic and I suspect many of the other adverts from smaller traders claimed leather but were actually Artico
Most of the GLE adverts seemed to be leather.
I wouldn’t want a car with Artico
Totally agree man made leather is simply a posh word for vinyl or plastic. I cannot comment on the smaller models and can only say that the latest GLE vehicles all, thankfully have real leather. Is there such a thing as 'real' leather? :) Surely leather is leather? :)

Totally agree man made leather is simply a posh word for vinyl or plastic. I cannot comment on the smaller models and can only say that the latest GLE vehicles all, thankfully have real leather. Is there such a thing as 'real' leather? :) Surely leather is leather? :)
I've just looked at new available GLB's & GLC's at our local dealer. I didn't check the spec of each one but clicked on 2 of each at random. All 4 had their seat covers described as "ARTICO man-made leather / black microfibre DINAMICA".

I've just looked at new available GLB's & GLC's at our local dealer. I didn't check the spec of each one but clicked on 2 of each at random. All 4 had their seat covers described as "ARTICO man-made leather / black microfibre DINAMICA".
I had Artico in my E350 Coupe for 4 years and 40K miles and it looked like new the day I sold it. I would not specify it in a new car but find it quite OK.

I'm thinking of swapping my BMW X3 for either a GLC 350d or a GLE 350d. (Between you and me, I have never really liked the X3). I've been looking at reviews and cars for sale, compared specs. etc. prior to looking and driving an example of each. One question that I have not found an answer to is whether a GLC has hill descent control. I can't find references to it in car adverts. I think that HDC is essential in any 4WD so an answer to this question will swing my decision. Thanks for any advice, not only regarding HDC but in general if you own a GLC or GLE from 2016-2019 models. Cheers. Gareth
Update! Decision made, four cars chased, THE car found, deal done! 2016 GLE 350d Silver, 18K miles, 1 owner, airmatic suspension, lots of bells and whistles, 12 month warranty. Collecting Dec 8th. All at sensible price and PX allowance from an MB dealership- somewhat to my surprise. Thanks for all your comments.

The GLC in RHD form had an issue with the front tyres skipping/crabbing during tight turns, which caused a lot of complaints. I'm not sure whether this has been resolved or not but it's worth doing some searches.

it wasn't that bad to be honest only use to really happen on cold mornings. I think different alloys also played a part like my friends had bigger tyre wall than mine and didn't really see this issue.

anyways if your asking me GLC or GLE I would take the GLE all the time looks much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom