GLE or GLC my next car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
I'm thinking of swapping my BMW X3 for either a GLC 350d or a GLE 350d. (Between you and me, I have never really liked the X3). I've been looking at reviews and cars for sale, compared specs. etc. prior to looking and driving an example of each. One question that I have not found an answer to is whether a GLC has hill descent control. I can't find references to it in car adverts. I think that HDC is essential in any 4WD so an answer to this question will swing my decision. Thanks for any advice, not only regarding HDC but in general if you own a GLC or GLE from 2016-2019 models. Cheers. Gareth

The GLC in RHD form had an issue with the front tyres skipping/crabbing during tight turns, which caused a lot of complaints. I'm not sure whether this has been resolved or not but it's worth doing some searches.

I'm thinking of swapping my BMW X3 for either a GLC 350d or a GLE 350d. (Between you and me, I have never really liked the X3). I've been looking at reviews and cars for sale, compared specs. etc. prior to looking and driving an example of each. One question that I have not found an answer to is whether a GLC has hill descent control. I can't find references to it in car adverts. I think that HDC is essential in any 4WD so an answer to this question will swing my decision. Thanks for any advice, not only regarding HDC but in general if you own a GLC or GLE from 2016-2019 models. Cheers. Gareth

Just as a BTW, I have three friends who bought new BMW X3's, thinking it was a more practically sized X5.

They all absolutely hate the X3. Couldn't chop it in - private buyers who were all fully committed. Different reasons, but all agreed that it was a mistake.

Just saying.

What would you like to know about the GLE?

Great cars. Now replaced but there aren’t many of the new models on the UL roads just yet, because of collapsing sales during 2020. Factor that into your thoughts, because it’s not a current model.

Just as a BTW, I have three friends who bought new BMW X3's, thinking it was a more practically sized X5.

They all absolutely hate the X3. Couldn't chop it in - private buyers who were all fully committed. Different reasons, but all agreed that it was a mistake.

Just saying.
Could you elaborate please - I'm currently looking to buy an X3

Generally, I don't like to trash vehicles. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and all that.

The themes coming from my three friends are: "Incomprehensible tech" (from a woman in her Sixties who'd switched from the Lexus equivalent), "still feels too big," "poor reliability" - i.e. faults that needed attending to within the first three years, and hard ride (although better than the 1st gen X3 apparently)

Generally I have little sympathy for the endless succession of BMW owners who whinge about hard ride after specifying M Sport and big wheels, but it is a theme for the marque.

There also always seems to be a sweet spot for the tech - maybe three years in ? - when it's not too new, or not too old. Call in the "Three Bears syndrome." At first it's too new, then its OK and then it's irritatingly out of date or a bit slow.

But Piff - do form your own view by test driving the things, ideally in a variety of specs. Too many people buy cars based on hearsay - you have to look at it in terms of your perspective.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that Mike.
Have test driven an SE and the ride was fine on 18" rims. Fully aware from reviews that the MSport suspension with 20" runflats is too harsh for UK roads. I live on a pot holed unmade road so don't want an MSport unless it has smaller wheels & adaptive dampers. Some msports have the sport suspension deleted!
I'm looking for a high spec x-line around 3 years old & less than 30,000 miles but can't find one near enough to home at the moment.

I had an X3 in Malaysia for 4 days .. I thought it was a great car.

I did a review on it for Autocar Malaysia

What would you like to know about the GLE?

Great cars. Now replaced but there aren’t many of the new models on the UL roads just yet, because of collapsing sales during 2020. Factor that into your thoughts, because it’s not a current model.
Bobby, are there any known issues with GLEs e.g. is the airmatic suspension reliable?
I'm not sure what you mean by not being a current model, there are 2020 new model cars for sale as well as the older version that I'm looking at. The GLE 350 of a given age and mileage are about £3-4K cheaper than GLC 350 - because they are bigger/less desirable for other reasons. Fuel economy etc. would be similar for both.

Interesting- I find the tech in my fathers X3 far more intuitive and usable than that in current MBs.

The ride (non M sport) is also better although I have no meaningful experience of the GLC / GLE.

as others have said I have no sympathy for those who order the wrong spec or complain about it size. Don’t they look at the showroom before they rent it?

Bobby, are there any known issues with GLEs e.g. is the airmatic suspension reliable?
I'm not sure what you mean by not being a current model, there are 2020 new model cars for sale as well as the older version that I'm looking at. The GLE 350 of a given age and mileage are about £3-4K cheaper than GLC 350 - because they are bigger/less desirable for other reasons. Fuel economy etc. would be similar for both.
The 2019/20 models are a completely new generation model, but I noticed that you asked about 2016-9 models which will be the previous generation. I would say they're generally reliable, with no specific concern areas - I know the platform well, but I have no direct experience of the 350 engine.

Air suspension is fine, and needn't be cause for concern, you're unlikely to have any problems until around 100,000 miles, and when you do it's not like it will all fail simultaneously. It would likely be a single air bag or the compressor, which can be replaced individually and I would say is not dissimilar in cost compared to standard springs.

I would say the GLE costs less than the GLC when second hand is because the GLC is still the current model. Unfortunately values drop when a new model comes out, especially when it's a whole new generation as is the case with the GLE. The GLC has been facelifted but it still looks, feels and drives fundamentally the same.

Are either of these any good off road, where HDC comes into its own?

Are either of these any good off road, where HDC comes into its own?
I doubt many are taken off road properly, but I'd hazzard a guess that both are more than capable than would be required for most off-road duties. Tyres will be a limiting factor, as will the fear of damage!

I doubt many are taken off road properly, but I'd hazzard a guess that both are more than capable than would be required for most off-road duties. Tyres will be a limiting factor, as will the fear of damage!
Don't forget dear Mittel and Southern Englanders that there are such things as snow and hills. Both are available here for a few, sometimes several days a year. Having owned a Freelander with HDC, I can assure you that it is absolutely invaluable downhill on the white stuff - hence my original question.

Thanks for that Mike.
Have test driven an SE and the ride was fine on 18" rims. Fully aware from reviews that the MSport suspension with 20" runflats is too harsh for UK roads. I live on a pot holed unmade road so don't want an MSport unless it has smaller wheels & adaptive dampers. Some msports have the sport suspension deleted!
I'm looking for a high spec x-line around 3 years old & less than 30,000 miles but can't find one near enough to home at the moment.
Check out the seats next time you take a test drive and make the drive as long as possible. If leather you will find that it's only one grade up from the stuff on the soles of your shoes - too hard for comfort for many. Next is the lumbar support because it probably does not have one. I spent £250 having lumbar support fitted. It was a great improvement but nowhere near as good as the upper grade MB seats. If you are one of millions like me with back problems you may well decide to look at alternatives.

A GLE I looked at recently had an off road pack which IIRC added a centre lockable diff

Don't forget dear Mittel and Southern Englanders that there are such things as snow and hills. Both are available here for a few, sometimes several days a year. Having owned a Freelander with HDC, I can assure you that it is absolutely invaluable downhill on the white stuff - hence my original question.
With the right winter tyres fitted the GLE and GLC will be more than up to the job. In fact even a RWD car can be sure footed with the right tyres.

I really wouldn’t fancy going up or down a steep hill even in a car with HDC if it has performance summer tyres on. Big cars slide fast once they start..

My daughter has an X3 and loves it. I‘ve driven it and thought it was very competent, certainly couldnt find anything to hate.

Check out the seats next time you take a test drive and make the drive as long as possible. If leather you will find that it's only one grade up from the stuff on the soles of your shoes - too hard for comfort for many. Next is the lumbar support because it probably does not have one. I spent £250 having lumbar support fitted. It was a great improvement but nowhere near as good as the upper grade MB seats. If you are one of millions like me with back problems you may well decide to look at alternatives.
Seats on our E-Class Cab have adjustable lumbar support - 2 separate inflatable cushions which is a nice feature.
Regarding the leather though, many of the GLC and some of the GLE adverts I've viewed have Artico "leather" - compare that to the real stuff.

GLC's have the option of an off road pack, this gives different wheels and under body protection, also adds an additional driving mode for off road but dont recall if it gives HDC. I've got a GLC and its great car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom