GLE350d W166 first impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's the old trick of resetting your 7/9 speed gearbox to factory settings, it then adjusts itself to your style of driving.
1 Get in car close all doors and windows.
2 switch off all electrics.
3 Turn ignition on , do Not start engine.
4 Press accelerator pedal to floor, hold down for 10/15 seconds.
5 Turn ignition off , do not remove key.
6 Release accelerator pedal.
7 Wait 2mins for ECU to reset.
8 Remove ignition key, exit the car.
Gearbox now reset to original factory settings, and should reset to your driving style.👍

Here's the old trick of resetting your 7/9 speed gearbox to factory settings, it then adjusts itself to your style of driving.
1 Get in car close all doors and windows.
2 switch off all electrics.
3 Turn ignition on , do Not start engine.
4 Press accelerator pedal to floor, hold down for 10/15 seconds.
5 Turn ignition off , do not remove key.
6 Release accelerator pedal.
7 Wait 2mins for ECU to reset.
8 Remove ignition key, exit the car.
Gearbox now reset to original factory settings, and should reset to your driving style.👍
It doesn’t reset anything, it prompts the transmission to adapt rapidly to it’s most aggressive settings, by fooling the TCU into thinking that the car is being driven like it’s been stolen.

With the ignition on the accelerator still sends the signal to the ECU/TCU, even when the engine is not running. Holding Wide Open Throttle for 10 seconds or more is quite an extreme bout of acceleration.

When the engine is eventually started, normal accelerator pedal movements send normal signals and so the ECU/TCU adapts to not to having been stolen afterall, and relaxes it’a reaponaes.

The effect can be achieved by accelerating hard from rest on to a dual carriageway and holding your foot there.

Yes that's all well and good, but for me to join a dual carriageway and accelerate like a bat out of hell would not only rip the a#se out of my rears, but would probably culminate in a ban for exceeding 150mph on a UK road.
Much easier to be stationary in own garage and quietly just do it, it does work. 👍

Yes that's all well and good, but for me to join a dual carriageway and accelerate like a bat out of hell would not only rip the a#se out of my rears, but would probably culminate in a ban for exceeding 150mph on a UK road.
Much easier to be stationary in own garage and quietly just do it, it does work. 👍
There’s no need to accelerate all the way up to 150 MPH! Road speed has nothing to do with it, just pedal position.

Accelerating hard up to the speed limit will prompt the gearbox to sharpen it’s reactions in exactly the same way.

Doing this in the garage, with the engine off is fine, but it doesn’t reset the gearbox to factory settings or clear adaptations.

All it does is make the car think you have accelerated from rest at WOT for 10 seconds a moment beforehand.

PS Your tyres would be fine accelerating from rest or slow roll at Wide Open Throttle up to the speed limit.

Rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom