GLE63s retro fit genuine tow hitch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zenman63

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 L450 Range Rover 4.4 AB, 2015 GTs 2017 Range rover evoque
Hi, Just picked up my latest car, a nice GLE63s, I need a tow hitch and have one coming tomorrow from a 2018 crashed car complete with module.
I have ordered the harness and switches etc and have star to help.
Wiring in wis looks fairly straight forward but might need some help.
question is has anyone done this?

Hi, Just picked up my latest car, a nice GLE63s, I need a tow hitch and have one coming tomorrow from a 2018 crashed car complete with module.
I have ordered the harness and switches etc and have star to help.
Wiring in wis looks fairly straight forward but might need some help.
question is has anyone done this?
Yes I have had one retrofitted, but I had it fitted by the fitter who does it on behalf of the dealer, so I’m absolutely no help …sorry!

Don’t forget to post some photos of your new car when you have half a chance 👍🏻

Yes I have had one retrofitted, but I had it fitted by the fitter who does it on behalf of the dealer, so I’m absolutely no help …sorry!

Don’t forget to post some photos of your new car when you have half a chance 👍🏻
So you have the fold out type all coded in with the switch in the front door and tail gate?

So you have the fold out type all coded in with the switch in the front door and tail gate?
Ahhh sorry, no mine is manual, not electric folding. The main dealer advised against the factory electric folding towbar, and recommended the manual towbar supplied for retrofit from the parts counter.

Ahhh sorry, no mine is manual, not electric folding. The main dealer advised against the factory electric folding towbar, and recommended the manual towbar supplied for retrofit from the parts counter.
I see, it’s complex to fit but all factory,?I guess they did not want the job.
I will post pictures as it goes.
Just put a couple of pictures on the AMG page.

Out of interest, does the switch sit in the tailgate on the LHS?

If so, I was wondering what the blank was for on my X166 :)

I have no need to tow at the moment, but sounds like a nice retrofit if you have the time/skill.

Out of interest, does the switch sit in the tailgate on the LHS?

If so, I was wondering what the blank was for on my X166 :)

I have no need to tow at the moment, but sounds like a nice retrofit if you have the time/skill.
Yes one switch on the left side and the other is below the tailgate switch on the drivers door.
Yes I will do a detailed install.

Well it tuned up today, great condition.
Mercedes epc is just not easy to find the wiring harness but I think I have it now.
Request at MB for code 550, that will help with the right door harness but I think I have the right one with the switch, just need to find the rear of the switch mount.

Well found the problem, my hitch is just on the cross over date, revised the motor and module.
So the harness I have will fit the early type that are on eBay and the early module.
I need the later A1664404934, Germany!
Never mind, bumper of later and fit the hardware

Made good progress yesterday 6 hours so far but this is including stripping down the bumper as it’s gone for a fresh paint.
Just cut the defuser, it has a line on the inside to cut to, that is going gloss black.

Attachments

• A1ACCC20-69DF-4769-B2EA-BE5918598D75.jpeg
    A1ACCC20-69DF-4769-B2EA-BE5918598D75.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 7503DEDB-6424-4843-8B4A-7F8E28BAE4E0.jpeg
    7503DEDB-6424-4843-8B4A-7F8E28BAE4E0.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 22
Guys the correct harness turned up today and the new switch for the drivers door card.
Looks plug and play, it comes with a new green fuse block.
I will take pictures tomorrow of the install.

Made great progress today with the wiring, it’s in and working.
I hit a big stumbling block, wis shows a LHD car and the Sam unit is on the right, well it’s on the left!That’s after I get the wire to the front.
I now need to get across the car, already pulled it back to the rear and will go across the rear seat area.
Getting the wire in the tailgate is a mission but all back together.
Had to get Star out to fathom how to get the cover off the Sam, it’s the final wire to fit, it’s on the passenger side A post in the footwell, buried behind the glove box, it’s all had to come out, if I can get the cover off then it’s easy to get at the plug, gave up tonight.
Trim re assembly in the morning.
Then coding 550.
Loads of pictures to come.

Well and truly stumped now, cannot get the Sam out, or the cover off.
Looks easy on wis but it’s left had drive in there pictures.
Right hand drive the heater is in the way.
Any help Richard?

DF8AB173-4451-40AE-B0E8-14A81DBCA6CD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom