Gleitpaste sunroof lubricant??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amazighman

Car
CLK 430
Hello.

I am currently using spray silicone for my w203 panoramic roof, but i thought i should probably use the proper stuff from mb, but it is very expensive and comes in a tub which is more than what i need.

What is gleitpaste made of? is it plain silicone or smth else?
anyone got some of that mb stuff to sell?
what are other options or similar grease to use on these roofs?

cheers

What you want is a PFPE (perfluoropolyether) based lube, PFAE and PFPAE are part of the same family of fluorinated lubricants. Dupont Krytox is one of the better known brand names, they're all expensive and effectively inert so safe to use on pretty much anything (one common use is lubricating stuff used for oxygen service because pure O2 + 'regular' grease or oil doesn't end well)

PFPE lubes exist as oil or greases with the later typically using PTFE as a thickener, gbrtech are the official UK agents for Krytox and, used to at least, be happy to sell small quantities direct. Google 'pfpe lube' and you'll get a bunch of other sources for different brands. Decent bicycle shops are another source if you want it as a grease, Finish Line extreme fluoro is pure pfpae based lube and made by Dupont. About £10 - £15 for a 20g syringe, elso exists as a pure pfpe oil (finish line stanchion fluoro) but is harder to find

Thank you very much for the useful information.
I can see it sold on eBay better than mb prices...
I will buy some.

Cheers

I can recommend Sonax GummiPfledge rubber treatment, which is a cheaper alternative to Krytox.

It's what I use to lubricate and condition the rubber roof seals on my wife's VW EOS.

The VW dealer recommended it to us as the official stuff is extortionately expensive.

GP is easy to apply and works a treat - it stops the roof from squeaking and cured a drip that used to appear after heavy rain :thumb:

Google. Tasc Sp1 they supply grease in syringe for sunroof rails

I can recommend Sonax GummiPfledge rubber treatment, which is a cheaper alternative to Krytox.

It's what I use to lubricate and condition the rubber roof seals on my wife's VW EOS.

The VW dealer recommended it to us as the official stuff is extortionately expensive.

GP is easy to apply and works a treat - it stops the roof from squeaking and cured a drip that used to appear after heavy rain :thumb:

Thanks for that been looking for something myself.

they are selling some pfpe on ebay in syringes , it is about 12 gbp shipped, i will get some

What you want is a PFPE (perfluoropolyether) based lube, PFAE and PFPAE are part of the same family of fluorinated lubricants. Dupont Krytox is one of the better known brand names, they're all expensive and effectively inert so safe to use on pretty much anything (one common use is lubricating stuff used for oxygen service because pure O2 + 'regular' grease or oil doesn't end well)

PFPE lubes exist as oil or greases with the later typically using PTFE as a thickener, gbrtech are the official UK agents for Krytox and, used to at least, be happy to sell small quantities direct. Google 'pfpe lube' and you'll get a bunch of other sources for different brands. Decent bicycle shops are another source if you want it as a grease, Finish Line extreme fluoro is pure pfpae based lube and made by Dupont. About £10 - £15 for a 20g syringe, elso exists as a pure pfpe oil (finish line stanchion fluoro) but is harder to find
Can this be used to lubricate the seat runners and drive gubbins on power driven seats as well ?

Cheers

Hello.

I am currently using spray silicone for my w203 panoramic roof, but i thought i should probably use the proper stuff from mb, but it is very expensive and comes in a tub which is more than what i need.

What is gleitpaste made of? is it plain silicone or smth else?
anyone got some of that mb stuff to sell?
what are other options or similar grease to use on these roofs?

cheers

Hi. I know this is somewhat old. Were you using this because of creaks with your sunroof? I’m having that issue and am thinking if this stuff will help. I had Mercedes apply their stuff but it doesn’t seem to help. The sunroof still ‘creaks’ now and then going over bumps and deep gutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom