GLK - can I buy one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hi-Ho Silver

Car
C220 CDi SE Auto
Went to France recently and saw a few GLKs being driven around. Why aren't they available in the UK as RHD 4x4 models?

Some piss poor excuse from Mercedes about how they can't convert the 4matic drive on the GLK to RHD.

I think grober will be along soon, he's got a lot more detail to do with this.

Mercedes chose not to produce a RHD version based on economics. They accepted it was a poor decision and have stated they won't make the same mistake again with the next model of GLK.

I think it would sell by the bucket load in the UK, I like them.

Mercedes chose not to produce a RHD version based on economics. They accepted it was a poor decision and have stated they won't make the same mistake again with the next model of GLK.

I think it would sell by the bucket load in the UK, I like them.

The same far sighted "economics" that meant since it started production potential UK GLK customers went out and bought
AUDI Q3[new],Q5 or A4 Allroads---VW Tiguan---Subaru Legacy or Forester--- Kia Sportage or Hyundai ix35--- BMW X1 or X3, Toyota Rav4 , HONDA CRV --Nissan Quashai-- MAZDA CX5[new]--FORD KUGA-- Citroen C Crosser-- Mitsubishi ASX--Skoda Yeti--Volvo XC60--LANDROVER Freelander--- instead. :doh: But hey who is counting lost sales anyway. :crazy: Its not as if you see hoards of these crossover 4x4 vehicles on the road is it?:rolleyes:

Think its in the pipeline that the new A class platform may spawn a small 4x4 model probably using some form of part time 4wd system but they will now have to try to win potential customers back from the manufacturers mentioned above first.:(

Last edited:
MB= GLK big boo-boo!

Thanks Grober!! I have recently seriously considered 8 of the cars you listed above but because I already have a CLK230K (for sale), which I really like, I decided to buy a new C220Cdi. If the GLK had been available, I believe I would have bought one. Do MB need us to beg or is the financial 'slap' they gave themselves via lhd GLK enough?

The problem with making RHD 4-Matic cars was that the front prop-shaft and diff need space, which is unavailable in RHD form.

I guess a RHD Glk would be ok if you only had a right leg.

MB= GLK big boo-boo!

Thanks Grober!! I have recently seriously considered 8 of the cars you listed above but because I already have a CLK230K (for sale), which I really like, I decided to buy a new C220Cdi. If the GLK had been available, I believe I would have bought one. Do MB need us to beg or is the financial 'slap' they gave themselves via lhd GLK enough?

As pointed out above, there's plenty of other choice is you want a small SUV.

The snag for us is we don't get the AWD cars either - AWD C & E Class are quite popular in some countries, especially the USA.

The excuse was always the engineering of the foward drive shaft which comes out of the right hand side of the gearbox - so the steering column is in the way in RHD cars. But they could have re-engineered this when they went to the 7 speed box, surely?

But they could have re-engineered this when they went to the 7 speed box, surely?

What, put it on the left and stop selling these cars into their biggest markets...

What, put it on the left and stop selling these cars into their biggest markets...

It is possible to design both left and right hand drive 4x4s. Is MBs excuse for not doing so that they could not afford to do so?

The problem with making RHD 4-Matic cars was that the front prop-shaft and diff need space, which is unavailable in RHD form.

How does the 4matic differ on the ML, GL and R-Class?

It is possible to design both left and right hand drive 4x4s. Is MBs excuse for not doing so that they could not afford to do so?

Quite. There's a fairly extensive list up the page, and BMW manage it on their saloons, although choose not to sell them in the UK. Although they did say they were bringing the AWD 5 Series to the UK, but it doesn't seem to have materialised.

The manufacturer can afford to do anything, but how much can the buying public afford to pay?
The cars would need new floor-pans, gearboxes, steering gear, etc.

Would you pay £100k for a GLK?

They did re-engineer the transfer box a few years back to reduce it's slight protrusion from the transmission tunnel in the LHD models. Most people know my opinion that to re-engineer a RHD version would not be too onerous by producing a "mirror image" of the front transmission system. It's still my lingering suspicion that the disastrous history of the old UK 4matic models unfairly "coloured" the decision not to develop a RHD version of the new brake/electronic based 4matic for the UK market. :( A GREAT PITY and a lot of lost sales for the marque.

...for the UK market.

It's not just the UK though - MB did say they were going to do a RHD GLK based on demand from other markets, such as Australia and Japan.

Japan is a bit wierd - you can buy AWD versions of cars like Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris there. RHD, obviously, yet they're not sold in UK.

How does the 4matic differ on the ML, GL and R-Class?
It doesn't really - its just that the higher ground clearance and increased size of the vehicles allows them to squeeze in the LHD system in a RHD vehicle AFAIK The GLK is C class chassis based -so not enough room. without reversing the front propshaft/differential /tranfer gearbox

It is worth noting the GLK are not all 4wd, there is a rwd option of GLK220cdi

Help!

Hi do you still have your CLK230 for sale please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom