'Global warming'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

masher_uk

Car
C300 Coupe AMG Line Premium Selenite Grey Porcelain Leather
could someone just run that concept by me again...:crazy:

colquhoun_470x300.jpg

Its called climate change now, the polar ice caps are melting and they are going to re-freeze right here in Europe... just where all the climate change funding happens to reside.

[dull practical hat] Global warming doesn't mean that Eskimos will be growing pineapples. A small rise in worldwide temperature will start to melt the polar ice caps big time. In the northern hemisphere this will result in many thousands of cubic miles of freshwater spreading south. Being less dense than saltwater it will float on top of the nice warm Gulf Stream, thus pushing it down to the sea bed. Britain, robbed of the one thing that gives us mild winters, will begin to experience winters like other countries that occupy 50 to 60 degrees north. Canada and Russia are two that spring to mind.

Still, at least it will be worth investing in proper snow clearing equipment. It will get plenty of use. [/dull practical hat]

Last edited:
could someone just run that concept by me again...:crazy:

I've been waiting for this thread for two days........

There is a clue in your title....Global...;)

Are you a member of the Flat Earth Society..?

When it's -40degrees in the Uk for 3 months in a row, will we still have to all drive 500cc economical town cars about and act like we're making a difference in "saving the planet" by doing so???

9 tenths of all pack ice is already below water level anyway. Its only the little bit above the water line that will add to the worldwide sea levels.
Someone calculated that even if all polar ice melted it wouldnt make one gnats difference. Virtually immeasureable on a global scale.
Dont loose any sleep over it.

I've been waiting for this thread for two days........

There is a clue in your title....Global...;)

Are you a member of the Flat Earth Society..?

Believers in global warming should look inwardly at that remark as it is they that have their heads in the sand.

Look past the political spin and look at the scientific evidence.

9 tenths of all pack ice is already below water level anyway. Its only the little bit above the water line that will add to the worldwide sea levels.
Someone calculated that even if all polar ice melted it wouldnt make one gnats difference. Virtually immeasureable on a global scale.

Theres lots of ice on land, tis true if the north pole melts, as its floating it wont make any difference, but Antarctica has plenty of ice thats on land, as do all the countries curently harbouring glaciers and mountain ranges all around the arctic.

All the credible scientists have given up arguing about if its true or not and accept it, they are argueing now about how bad it will be, not IF it happens.

Believers in global warming should look inwardly at that remark as it is they that have their heads in the sand.

And you have your heads in melting ice, soon to be downing in water. Everyone else looking at us arguing, just see our ****s sticking up in the air :)

We just completed a large strategy contract for a european OEM - future direction and all that....

My team was looking at validated, peer-reviewed research into Climate Change. When you look at the body of published, scientific evidence, there is not much around that poo-poos the view that the global climate is changing and that CO2 plays a substantial part in this.

We did find a large amount of anti-CC work, but very little of it was in the sphere of published, peer-reviewed work. Plenty of sites, but little that meets valid research criteria.

What all this work (I'm talking about 10 man-years on this stream) didn't clarify for me is how much impact man is having on the climate. There's also some interesting work in the pipeline looking at the impact for solar warming since we've cleaned up the atmosphere - looking at whether cleaning up the atmosphere means that more heat reaches the surface of the earth rather than being reflected away.

>Mr E

Am I interpreting your post right?

You seem to be saying there is climate change (there always has been) but very little evidence to support that man has been the major cause.

If so, then I think were on the same page.

Last edited:

I never thought of that, and also, of course, water is one of the few things that expands when it freezes (which is why pipes melt)

Water expands by ~9% when it freezes, so therefore if the top exposed bit is going to melt, we need the whole damn thing to melt and it will be virtually no more volume of water. If just the top bit melts then we get 9/10 of its volume as water in the sea.

Light the blow torches. Whoops, we dont have enough gas or oil to do that.

Richard

(Flat Earth) It is, it's just curled up like a slug due to the vast amounts of pollution it breathes.

>Mr E

Am I interpreting your post right?

You seem to be saying there is climate change (there always has been) but very little evidence to support that man has been the major cause.

If so, then I think were on the same page.

Kind of....

You know how it goes - not all of the increase in CO2 can definitively be laid at man's door, therefore you cannot say that man is the major cause. There are lots of "what-ifs" still being kicked around. There is lots of evidence that man may be the casue, but not much proven.

"we" is my team (para 2). Can't divulge further I'm afraid, except that the work is for a major vehicle OEM.

Thats my interpretation too and since man isnt the major contributor of CO2, I dont believe there's much we can do about climate change, other than to try and profit from it.

I'm guessing Ford Motor Company.

Last edited:
Almost in spite of the global warming argument, it feels like a natural progression for mankind to want to do things better, faster, cheaper, more efficient etc. So let's go for it and really push the boundaries of current engineering designs.

Almost in spite of the global warming argument, it feels like a natural progression for mankind to want to do things better, faster, cheaper, more efficient etc. So let's go for it and really push the boundaries of current engineering designs.

My thoughts exactly - personal opinion is that we should try to make as minimal impact as possible. Just because we don't know whether we're definitely harming things or not doesn't mean we shouldn't try a bit harder.

Ford - nope. European.

<RANT MODE>

If the only problem was CO2, we'd all be told to plant more trees...

Where did I hear that one before?

If you believe in "Climate Change" or "Global Warming" or "Any other name that strikes fear into peoples hearts and will be an excuse for more taxation", then I think you need to look at the cause to justify this.

I think scientists broadly agree that greenhouse gases play a part in this and some say FACT : Greenhouse gases are causing GLOBAL WARMING!

Lets look at this then.

The Earth's most abundant greenhouse gases are :

Water vapour
Carbon dioxide (CO2)
Methane
Nitrous oxide
Ozone
CFCs

The most abundant one is WATER VAPOUR ~ 70% of it

If the primary gas my car produced was CO2, I'd have more time for this argument, but that "FACT" is simply not true.

My car emits exhaust NOT C0 flippin 2!

Primarily the exhaust contains "Carbon Monoxide" - 1 part carbon, which is not the same as CO2 (2 parts carbon) - and an array of other toxic particulates.

If it simply produced CO2, I could harness all of this gas and put it in a orb to supply my plants and they would thrive.

I don't really think my plants would last very long if I did though...

I wish people would think a little before believing all this tripe!

</RANT MODE>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom