'Global warming'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who said that only cars were being targeted, although if you can find any other product as abundant as a car and as inefficient please post it.
I'm confident you won't..there is no other machine as wasteful as a petrol car, hence it makes sense to reduce emissions from vehicles as that will have the largest effect.

How about a cow? Methane is 10 times worse for the planet than CO2 & cows belch tons of it into the atmosphere dailly.

Russ

How about a cow? Methane is 10 times worse for the planet than CO2 & cows belch tons of it into the atmosphere dailly.

Russ

SSSSHHHHHH!!!!

You'll be encouraging the veggies the way you're going.

Yes I think that's correct. I've read articles in the New Scientist et al....here's the first article I could quickly find.

Climate change,,,,,,

The climate has always changed all by itself, since long before man crawled out from wherever he crawled out from. The climate always will change because that is what it does. We have no control over it, but we would like to because change doesn't suit us. Stasis is not a natural option.

Please complete the following sentence:- I would like to save the planet because......

I don't wish to sound bitter and cynical, but I am, so thats how it comes out.

Has anyone read Revelations?

Russ

that may well be true, but why are there so many cows????

Climate change,,,,,,

The climate has always changed all by itself, since long before man crawled out from wherever he crawled out from. The climate always will change because that is what it does. We have no control over it, but we would like to because change doesn't suit us. Stasis is not a natural option.

Please complete the following sentence:- I would like to save the planet because......

I don't wish to sound bitter and cynical, but I am, so thats how it comes out.

well duh, of course the climate has always changed, ice ages and tropical planet are well known stages in our history, but there is no evidance at all that our climate has ever changed as fast as its changing now, in the past animlas had time to move and migrate and adapt, grizzly bears became polar bears when it got colder for instance, takes thousands of years for species to adapt and we have noticably warmed the planet in only 100 years!

Russ

And so do 50% of humans. What do you suggest we do.?

Methane though more reactive does break down fairly rapidly, Co2 doesn't.

next..!:D

That's why I eat vegitarian in the canteen at work if I've been for a blast in the car the day before. Carbon offsetting. :D

That's why I eat vegitarian in the canteen at work if I've been for a blast in the car the day before. Carbon offsetting. :D

Surely you should be doing the opposite. Eat the cows, do your beat for Global Warming

I think your slightly confused, it flows Northwards not Southwards, hence Cornwall being able to grow palm trees outside.

Actually waht else i just noticed is this basic diagram also shows the tundra in brown in pretty much all the countries on the same latitude as us and the snow cover on Greenland, i know its more than just latitude that effects these things but it does show the gulf stream keeping us warmer than they are.

Gulf%20Stream%20Map%201.gif

Is anyone else thinking "Dads Army"??

And so do 50% of humans. What do you suggest we do.?

Methane though more reactive does break down fairly rapidly, Co2 doesn't.

next..!:D

Someone mentioned becoming veggies.. my experience of veggies would suggest this would increase the problem..

well duh, of course the climate has always changed, ice ages and tropical planet are well known stages in our history, but there is no evidance at all that our climate has ever changed as fast as its changing now.

This is actually an often spoken myth.

There as been no increase in global temperatures since 1998.

Temperatures fluctuate, they always have. Taxing people on the basis of climate change is theft.

Last edited:
I am a great believer in reading about these issues and then making my own assumptions from what I have read and my own personal experiences.

Way back in the early 1970's I had 14 days rest and recuperation in Australia.. I spent 14 wonderful days living on a beach wearing sweet nothing (apart from boxer shorts) :) Never used ANY type of sun tan lotion, never got sun burnt and VERY rarely wore a shirt.

Today in Australia if you go out onto a beach in bright sunshine without sploshing on extremely strong sun blocker... You will cook!

We can all look inward and say I am alright jack! We can all remain insular and make global comments without looking past the High Street

BUT....... The reality is the ozone layer is getting thinner.

I am NOT going to say what is the cause, I am NOT going to say who is to blame, but I will say it is a fool that laughs it off and pretends that because we are alright...... The world is alright.

Here in the south-west we are seeing new species of fish that usually frequent slightly warmer waters. We are seeing less basking shark as they prefer cooler waters.

I am not a left wing gloom and doom merchant.. and the World is not coming to an end type character, and I am not saying ban gas guzzlers. But I am saying we have HUGE problems with a shrinking ozone layer which can be a major concern :)

Happy debating

Everyone talks about the gulf stream warming the UK.
Let me tell you this, it flows down the west of Scotland & the sea is still freezing cold. Not once, even in July or August does the sea feel remotely warm enough to go for a paddle in up here.

Ture, but that depends on the definition of warm. Average sea temp around here is 8-12C, T'other side of the country, 4-8c

so it is warmer, by quite a bit too.

Still cold to the touch tho. In fact, very cold.

Water is clearer however. And it does keep the chill at bay, which is why the 2 days we didn't have snow, when we did get it, it started to melt again, and has now gone.

There as been no increase in global temperatures since 1998.
This is actually an often spoken myth.

There has indeed been a recorded rise in temperature of 0.1c since the late '90s but 1988 happened to be an unusual year with a sudden higher peak temperature.
That is why people often misquote the trend as not rising since then, which is wrong, the trend is continuing upwards, even with the La Nina effect reducing temperatures for a couple of years.

This paragraph presents the issue reasonably in my opinion.
The rise in global surface temperature has averaged more than 0.15 °C per decade since the mid-1970s. Warming has been unprecedented in at least the last 50 years, and the 17 warmest years have all occurred in the last 20 years. This does not mean that next year will necessarily be warmer than last year, but the long-term trend is for rising temperatures.

Taken from the Hadley centre published info with a graph of temperature.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/guide/bigpicture/fact2.html

Sure, we can all scoff at the information as provided but no one has yet provided any reasonable information to contradict it.

Mr E correctly mentioned the effect of solar intensity change due to a reduction of solar dimming after cleaning up the atmosphere. We have yet to see the full effect of this but it is generally believed that it will increase the warming effect due to more radiation reaching the surface of the earth which is then unable to escape again due to the Co2 insulation layer.

There is a very strong economic argument that Global warming will cost far more if left unchecked than attempting to deal with it and in reality, why not do something about wastage and pollution.
I'm also not convinced that the taxation elements are actually costing us any more, they are encouraging people/organisations to reduce their emissions so not pay more tax, and indeed in many cases to benefit from saving money, both directly and indirectly.

Dieselman > what year did the temperatures go higher than 1998 and how much higher were they exactly?

Lets put things in perspective here...

Between 1905 and 2005 global temperatures have increased only 0.7 deg C.

This is nothing like as big as the temperature changes experienced in the Medieval warming period. In fact, sea temperatures were a whole degree higher 1000 years ago than they are today.

Clearly these temperature fluctuations are nothing new.

Last edited:
Dieselman > what year did the temperatures go higher than 1998 and how much higher were they exactly?

This is nothing like as big as the temperature changes experienced in the Medieval warming period. In fact, sea temperatures were a whole degree higher 1000 years ago than they are today.

................and if those Normans and Vikings had not had those enormous V8 chariots we wouldnt be in the state we are in today..........

Just ONE average size volcanic eruption chucks more polution into the atmosphere than all of the man-made emissions worldwide for a year.
So the answer is simple.
Plug all the volcanos and everything will be alright.

I thought we'd already established that 1988 was a freak hot year but the trend indicates there is still rising temperature.
That was the point of the paragraph I quoted. Some years go up, some go down, but the trend is the important bit.

Of course changes are nothing new, but recent temperatures are the warmest by some margin and the rate of change is the greatest as well indicating further warming is likely.

This page covers temperatures going way back including 1000 years and a lot further.
Strangely 1000 years ago just happened to coincide with the peak of hottest period prior to recent times.
Isn't that amazing that you pick 1998 and 1000 years as the benchmark years.
Why don't we look at averages compared over a much longer time...say 11,500 years..;) :D

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

So Dieselman, I'll ask again, has there been any increase in global temperatures between 1998 and 2009 and if so, by how much? :D

It is a yes or no type question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom