glow plug light turns on for 20 seconds AFTER I start the car, should I bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgow

Car
W231 SL500, W211 E280, W124 E300, W171 SLK200
In the last couple of days, I noticed 3 seconds after I start the engine, the glow plug light turns on and stays on for about 20 seconds... (and yes I do what the book says and leave the key in position 2 until the Gplug light disappear before I fires up the engine)

I had the car for a month and this only happened in the last couple of days. Is this something I need to worry about? I did some search and looks like CDI engine in the average UK weather doesn't need Gplug

(Car is 2005 W211 E280 CDI wih 30K miles)

It's indicating a failure in one or more glow plugs, or possibly the glow plug relay.

The car will start/run fine as is but you should get it diagnosed sorted as the system also performs an after-glow function helping the engine warm up and reduce emissions

It’s probably just a faulty glow plug. If the relay is faulty, the lap stays lit for a few minutes or longer.
If you have a multimeter check the resistance of each glow plug either at the glow plug itself or from the plug where all the glow plug wires connect to the relay. When cold, each plug should have a resistance of about 0.5 Ohms.

If you have a multimeter check the resistance of each glow plug either at the glow plug itself or from the plug where all the glow plug wires connect to the relay.

Do you have a pic or a link for that? Thank you

just as thistle says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom