glow plug light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Hi guys I have a 3.o v6 e280cdi I light glow plug go out before I start the car once car starts the light comes back on for maybe 5-10 secs then goes out for good what is causing this is it anything to be alarmed about?

You will have one or more duff glow plugs.
Get it on star and diagnosed ( ie make sure its not the controller )
If you have one or more duff plugs just change the lot.
They are a real pita on a v6 when they get siezed

Yep they are not to bad.
You have to remove the air intake cross trunking on top of the engine, and to gain access to cylinder 1or2 a couple of e10 torx bolts ( you will see when you get there ) .
You need a deep 8mm quarter drive ratchet for removing and refitting the glow plugs. Get the engine hot before attempting removal

Arw they proned to seizing? You have made me nervous now lol I was lookingbon ebay theres loads of glow plugs I think I need the v7 ones but there 80 does this sound right? Also it seems if you change anything on these cars the car needs to be put on a star doni need to get this done if I change the glow plugs?

If you bought this car from a MB dealer and it has issues, take it back and get them to fix the problems. Should not have been sold with glow plug faults and a sill plate falling off that I have read about so far:wallbash:

I didnt buy it off a mb dealership just a second hand car lot, I got it for good money so a couple of clips etc doesnt worry me it just needs some tlc im sorning it till next year so just working through a few issues but most of it is just cleaning etc

I didnt buy it off a mb dealership just a second hand car lot, I got it for good money so a couple of clips etc doesnt worry me it just needs some tlc im sorning it till next year so just working through a few issues but most of it is just cleaning etc

OK , understood. As long as you got it cheap on the understanding it needed work doing to it.:thumb:

These sport models are hard to come by here in N.ireland and it has really good miles for age 72k 2006 facelift, it needs a good detailing and wheels refurbed (laquer peel) and a few bits and bobs ie 2 clipa to hold on sill plate and a new set of glow plugs other than that im over the moon!

They can stick and be a PITA to get out, that's why as above you are advised to get the engine hot prior to removal. Not to scare you, but they can snap as well, hence hot engine is important.

For this reason, I have left mine alone (3 plugs) but I have never had a problem starting. I believe these CDI engines do not require major glow plug assistance for starting

I had the exact same problem with my S211 a few months back.
I have a STAR machine so that told me which one was at fault.

Did it myself. It certainly is DIYable provided it's not seized in. I sprayed a bit of WD around the nut, not sure it made any difference but the plug came out ok.

I guess the thing to do is don't force it undone. If it's not moving easily, then proceed with caution.

Hi all,

New to the forum and how good it is to join as I have the exact same issue with my 08 Vito 120cdi ! Ignition on, glow plug light comes on and then off, start engine and then the glow plug light comes back on for approx 10-15 secs. Great stuff as will get it checked :) As a side note I used to have a Landrover 300TDI and that had a new engine, so didn't really need to wait for the glow plugs to do their thing as diesel's are compression engines and it always started without fail.

All the best

Chris :)

I was told that you can afford to have at least a couple not working (especially on a V6) and it will still start fine.

The only problem with leaving it with one duff glow plug is that you won't know if any more fail, until one day it won't start!

I was told that you can afford to have at least a couple not working (especially on a V6) and it will still start fine.

The only problem with leaving it with one duff glow plug is that you won't know if any more fail, until one day it won't start!

I have 3 not working on a IL6, never had a problem. I will get them done one day but may leave them for someone who deal with a stuck one incase I can't get it out.

Well, this morning started the vehicle up and even though it's colder temp today, no glow plug light came back on after starting ! Intermittent fault perhaps. I'll get it checked out anyhow as would be good to now which one(s) are playing up. As mentioned, if the engine has good compression, it will start regardless of glow plugs. That's why the fuel, (diesel), is cetane rated as opposed to Ron, (Random Octane Rating), for petrol. A measure of it's ability to combust on compression. That was my understanding. But the use of glow plugs is obviously there for a reason and should not be ignored. Just what I was once told by a diesel fitter.
Hope this helps . . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom