Glow plug light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
This light came up for around 20 seconds today and then dissapeared?

Any ideas?

A367_C419-_F8_B1-487_B-833_E-504_EE6_BDD178.jpg

Well you may well have a glow plug gone,to be fair this light comes up after you start and then go's after a very short while,if this light comes on at some other time then you had better get it on a diagnostic tester,to see what it is,because on many cars the glowplug light is also used by the ECU,if it goes out soon after you drive off then it will be a glowplug,you either buy one and get it fitted or you buy the lot up to you,but whatever you need to know what glowplug it is or what is causing the light to come on

Faulty glow plug (s),same thing happened with my CLS.

Kenny

Thanks guys, it’s odd though it stayed for 20 seconds first stay today then disappeared. Not seen it again since? It always comes on and goes off but has never stayed on when the engine has been running.

Well any diagnostic tool will tell you what glow plug is dodgy,I only change the one that has gone as I have a local mechanic who charges £20 to do it last glowplug I got cost £11 when Euro parts had a sale on.

Could also be your glowplug control unit

Would suggest you change all 6 g/ plugs if one has gone, they are not expensive and get more difficult to remove over time. Had same fault with my original ML 320 cdi and replaced all 6

Well any diagnostic tool will tell you what glow plug is dodgy,I only change the one that has gone as I have a local mechanic who charges £20 to do it last glowplug I got cost £11 when Euro parts had a sale on.

which tool does this, ?

Chaps, will a star scan show if it’s the glow plugs or the relay?

A quick look on Gsf, all 6 NGK plugs are only £36, or the relay would be £56. Not the end of the world I suppose

Chaps, will a star scan show if it’s the glow plugs or the relay?

A quick look on Gsf, all 6 NGK plugs are only £36, or the relay would be £56. Not the end of the world I suppose

Is that for the V6 or I6 engine ?

Kenny

Well Icarsoft sell a decent scanner for around £80, but I would suggest even a cheap scanner around £30 on Ebay will be able to tell you what glow plug has gone down,then comes the bit about do you change it,well if you have a straight six diesel they are quiet easy,but if you have a V6 then it gets harder,best find a local mechanic,or take it to a indy and tag the glow plug onto a service would be my advice.one tip if you decide to change it make sure there is no crud around the glowplug before you take it out ,you do not want any getting in the engine.

ive an icarsoft mb2 it doesnt even scan glow plugs. so which scanner did you use ?

As everybody has said glow plug or the module, You can easily test the glow plugs with a multi-meter

Had the module on my cls go did the normal thing going off after a few seconds but took some cranking to get started not the normal couple of spins then once driving a few mins light came in randomly. New module all good now

Had the module on my cls go did the normal thing going off after a few seconds but took some cranking to get started not the normal couple of spins then once driving a few mins light came in randomly. New module all good now

what price did you pay for module peter , where from , thanks. my cls is ok with 2 heats , but crank from cold and it takes a while to start , and white smoke.

would suggest you change all 6 glowplugs at same time as control module, IMHO not worth trying to save a few pounds and then having more problems 6 months later

Thanks everyone, the car started fine yesterday though. But then again it’s not cold, so am I right in thinking I can wait a few months to sort it?

I’ll gdt around to it before winter though, should this be ok?

The I6 cdi will start even in the winter with a few glow plugs out , it will have to be really cold before it struggles.

Sounds like you have a plug out and or Relay. Id be inclined to change both. At least thats what i did.

what price did you pay for module peter , where from , thanks. my cls is ok with 2 heats , but crank from cold and it takes a while to start , and white smoke.
To be honest it was still under waranty as only had car a few days. I priced them up but cant remember now but it's not a big job if you change it yourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom