Glow Plug Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
When I turn on the ignition, the glow plug light comes on, goes out after 4-6 secs. When the engine fires, the light comes back on again.

Do I need to worry about this ?

I seem to remember jimmy had this problem too . . . 1 faulty glow plug out of the five - it didn't glow at all !

He changed them all, which solved the problem.

S.

Thanks guys, are they an easy change ?

Can just about battle with eletronics and trim (just done B2, HBA-30), but not too sure on engines !

WL

"not too difficult" - but that's coming from Jimmy who has had his engine in pieces before now !!

If in doubt, PM him !

S.

Hmmm. will give it try, if local Stealership has them in stock.....

Just finished fitting B2 and Bluetooth, and scarily the damm things work ! - Can cope with electronics, not sure about getting my hands dirty though !

(bad pics of dirty car and B2 in members gallery)

It's easy to change the glowplugs, but you need the inlet manifold off.
You don't have to change all 5 together and at nearly £20 each you may not want to.

Here's a how to for the E300, yours is very similar.

It's very easy. About 20 mins to remove manifold.

1.car on ramps.
2. remove undertray centre section.
3. remove manifold to air duct bolt from below. This is allen head and vertical from below.
4. remove EGR pipe to EGR valve clamp.
5. disconnect pressure sensor electical connection and unbolt from inner wing.
6. disconnect EGR valve at modulator on inner wing.
7. remove all torx manifold to head bolts.
8. lift manifold away starting at the head end to break the seal to the EGR pipe.
9. pull connector from appropriate glow plug and unscrew plug.
10. reverse all operations for refitting.

If you dont want to replace them all take them out & see which one is'nt glowing. They should all glow red hot.

to test them individually, get a electrical tester, the top of the glow plug should be earthed, whichever doesnt earth is the bad one... On my c220 cdi it was v easy (5 mins) and the glowplug was about 12 quid from dealer...

Dieselman said:
It's easy to change the glowplugs, but you need the inlet manifold off.
You don't have to change all 5 together and at nearly £20 each you may not want to.

Here's a how to for the E300, yours is very similar.

It's very easy. About 20 mins to remove manifold.

1.car on ramps.
2. remove undertray centre section.
3. remove manifold to air duct bolt from below. This is allen head and vertical from below.
4. remove EGR pipe to EGR valve clamp.
5. disconnect pressure sensor electical connection and unbolt from inner wing.
6. disconnect EGR valve at modulator on inner wing.
7. remove all torx manifold to head bolts.
8. lift manifold away starting at the head end to break the seal to the EGR pipe.
9. pull connector from appropriate glow plug and unscrew plug.
10. reverse all operations for refitting.

I've got a 99 E300TD, and the light is staying on and it sounds like a bag of spanners for a few seconds. Definately one plug down.
My local garage have had a look and have declined to change the plug on the basis the inlet manifold has to come off, and they think it might need 'setting up' (their words) afterwards. They also think there is an inlet manifold gasket that will need changing. Gasket I can accept, but the setting up doesn't ring true.
If fitting is the same as Dieselmans quote above then I may have a go myself assuming this setting up is a red herring, but it would be nice to know about the gasket in advance.
Anyone have any advice?

Nick

Setting up???

The only thing they are setting up is you....for a large bill.

You don't really need to replace the gasket as it is rubberised stainless steel. It will work perfectly ok with no rubber as long as it isn't kinked.

Take apart, fit plugs, put together...err job done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom