Glow plug Lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
Please help. According to mb official docs, is there a grease I should use on the glow plug threads and shaft? Also what is the torque spec of the plugs and will under torque cause issues? Thanks.

When I did my C320 CDI (OM642) I used Sealey Aluminium anti sieze compound.

I can't quite remember the torque setting but at the time I did set it to the correct torque setting as per WIS. You need to set it to the correct torque as per the manufacturer recommendations. Diesel engines are high compression ratio engines, and under torquing can possibly cause gasses to blow past the glow plug threads.

Last edited:
This is the stuff i used , at 53s.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tightening torque was low , around 10nm IIRC.

K

Thank you for the replies.
Well now the issue is to try and source febi grease today. I can't seem to find it at local factors. I have though managed to to silver hook ceramic brake grease rated to 1500 degrees Celsius, what's the thoughts on this stuff?

Well now the issue is to try and source febi grease today. I can't seem to find it at local factors. I have though managed to to silver hook ceramic brake grease rated to 1500 degrees Celsius, what's the thoughts on this stuff?

Sounds ideal ...

i think I used ceramic grease when I did my glow plugs

Thank you everyone for the help. I have done the glow plugs with the suggested grease applied to the threads of the plugs. The plugs came out very easily so I'm pleased about that. However, there is something else I'm pretty pleased about too. I was experiencing hesitation if I tried to accelerate at 1200rpms. If below or above those rpms, then I wouldn't experience issues even though (if below 1200rpm) I was accelerating past 1200. This was only happening when the engine got to temp. My diagnostic tool showed that plug 6 was open circuit so as a matter of course, I decided to service the plugs any way. Fortunately this problem has been 90% sorted. The box is very smooth. I can still get the hesitation but it is very very little and hardly noticeable. I can easily live with it or try and sort it. Is this something a software update is available for? I have pretty much serviced everything else - egr, throttle body, breather valve, diff fluid, box fluid, cleaned maf sensors. Also will an EGR delete help this?

Also I would like to add that squirting release fluid around glow plugs before removal everyday for at least a week (or more if possible) will make this job much easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom