Glow plug Relay C270.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
Cold Start issues C270.

So cranking and not starting/firing first crank of the day - Refuses to start without Easy Start for the second and any subsequent cranks for the initial crank up. Then good for the rest of the day.

Had the car on STAR -Star said - leak back from injector No 1. No 1 injector refurbed and reseated with new bolt and correct washer. Car started fine for 3 days. Forth day very cold overnight - back to same thing of not starting. Once going its fine for the rest of the starts in the day.

Yesterday the car was left outside overnight, cool but not frosty. I cycled the glow plugs once and switched off, then cycled again - cranked - and away she went.

The glow plug light comes on and goes off very quickly compared to my 124. Just wondering if there is a "timer" element in the Glow Plug Relay which could be duff but would not show up on a Star check. The Glow Plug Relay does have varying times it is on but all very quick. 3/4 seconds is the longest I have seen it on for the first cycle of the day.

All glow plugs check out fine on STAR.

This is driving me nuts. Any help greatly appreciated.

Air leak, O rings on fuel pipes need changing?

Dampness around the fuel pump? I assume these have a Bosch CP on them?

Just some ideas for you...

CDI engine should start fine even without glow plugs working.

The glow plug indicator on my 270 rarely stayed on for more than a couple of seconds

ETA - If there was a problem with the glow function the indicator would come back on for approx 30sec after starting

It will be a fueling issue. A lack of fuel pressure of some kind.

This can be caused by a worn HP pump, leaking off injectors, air in fuel pipes or a rail sensor.

HP pump test can be done on a star.

If the pipes are original just change them anyway. They are not expensive and they WILL need doing at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom