glow plug relay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul m

Car
S 320 cdi
Been having a bit bother with my S 320 CDI, when i start car up from night before it starts ok but sounds slow turning over then ESP warning comes on, suspecting low batt voltage for that, soon as car is warm even the rest of day dont get ESP warning anymore and engine turns over fast, so i was thinking something pulling batt volts down on start up, so i disconnect heater plug relay (think thats a high current draw) its been of for a week now and problem goes away, connect back up the plug relay and ESP warning returns engine turns over slow
thing ihave done
New Bosch 100 amp batt
fully charged batt night before
Anyone had trouble with relay or could it be heater plugs

Ok not had any replies on first question nearly 200 views though, any thoughts on this then, put meter on glow plugs all where 0.7 ohms same reading as a new one so plugs ok, checked resistance on all six wires from controller all at 11.50 ohms so looks like wiring ok, put ign on and voltage to plugs at 12.v engine not running, even though glow light went out after about five seconds voltage still remained for about 1 minute at glow plugs, my question is should voltage drop off at plugs when the dash light glow symbol goes out ?

my question is should voltage drop off at plugs when the dash light glow symbol goes out ?

No. That is the pre-glow indicator, but eh plugs stay on for a while longer in post-glow mode.

It all sounds normal to me apart from the ESP light. As the battery is new check the battery to body and loom connections.

When you bought the 100Ahr battery did they ask you what car it was for? and if so did you check that you actually got a 100Ahr? I ask because when this happened to me a few years back they had actually specd a ~75Ahr based on the max draw current on starting which does not account for any 'extra' kit fitted to the car, and of course it was cheaper! Other than that 11.5 Ohms on a continuous copper wire does sound a bit high to me.

No Aux Batt, Alt output 14.5 volts, 100AHR Battery, 11.5 Ohms was with cable removed from plug end but still connected to relay, Relay /controller been off for a while now with no problems , soon as i connect back up and start engine voltage at meter drops to 9.5 volts which then triggers ESP in display i think because of low voltage. Suppose i need to get a glow relay /controller to rule that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom