Glow plug warning (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rociousbeast

Car
W210 E300 TD
Sorry to be a pain, but I've been through the existing posts and can't find what I'm after.

This morning I got in my '99 E300TD, turned the key, let the glow plug warning go out and fired the motor. It started first time as usual, but was real lumpy and noisy and the glow warning light came back on again. I gave it a few rpms for a couple of minutes or so and it gradually settled down and the warning lamp went out.

Am I to assume a glow plug has failed, or something more sinister ? I'd like some opinions before I break out the spanners .......

Thanks.

It has always been my belief that it indicates a glowplug failure.

There are many more knowledgable memebers that I'm sure will answer your thread.
If you are changing them, change them all, then make sure the engine is hot to ease removal. Take care not to snap them off if they are stubborn!

yes you have a failing glow plug. soon the light will stop working when the ignition is on and it will become harder to start during winter i expect if it gets really cold again.

Mercedes Diesel Glow Plug Repair

is a great how-to on how to find out which one out of 6 is bad with use of a multimeter without dismantling anything.

however if you've had the car for a while and never changed them then i'd suggest replace all 6 at once. you'll have to remove the manifold to get to them unless you are lucky as a couple can be got at (just) without removing it.

cheers

derek

Thanks gents, thought as much.
First proper cold start of the year. Typical :dk:

I've had two of these cars ...
One had the glow plugs changed just before I bought it.
Never any problem.

The other developed lumpy starting and poor running for the first few seconds, but the light always went out before I started it and did not come back on.
I didn't rush to change the glow plugs.
The car carried on starting as above ... A bit reluctant - But it never failed to fire up.
Eventually, changed them all and it's been great ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom