Glow plugs on the OM648 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
I know glow plugs are quite the topic of conversation at present, so I will add to the proceedings!

As alluded to in Steve's thread here, I have the plug light staying on after startup, so I am well aware of what is coming.

What I can't seem to find out is - is this a DIY proposition for the OM648 320CDI I6 engine? Do I have to remove manifolds, or not? What nasty surprises do I need to brace myself for?

I 'get' the SOP regarding getting the engine warm first, making sure my fingers are crossed whilst administering the spannerwork, laying out the chicken entrails in the correct pattern, praying to whichever deity may be listening - all that, but there doesn't appear to be a HOWTO anywhere on the net. Is it really that obscure and/or awkward a job?

Or if not, please can someone tell me how to approach it - in detail?

Ta muchly!

I assume it is the same as the om648 in the w220.

For that setup all that was required was to remove the plastic cover and take off the glow plug electrical connectors. Plenty of access.

I only did one but it came out no problem with a hot engine.

That said I had recently had the head skimmed/refurbed at Olly's so I assume they had recently been removed and replaced.

Adam

Thanks, Adam.

Got to them all quite easily except for #5, probably because I have no long-nosed pliers and couldn't get any of my pliers onto the plug connector with sufficient purchase to pry off the cap.

Still, cylinders 1,2,4 and 6 are showing approx 0.6 Ohms. #3 shows 250+, so my suspicion falls there. Fortunately #3 is about the easiest of the six to get to, so we'll see later if I have any luck getting the blighter out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom