Glow plugs seized in on CLK 270 CDI 55 Reg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
I have had 2 out of the 5 glow plugs removed&replaced but the other 3 are seized in. Has anybody out there had the same problem with their glow plugs being seized in&cant get them out ? Any ideas of ways of getting them out or of garages that might be able to remove the glow plugs successfully around the South Yorkshire/Derbyshire North Notts area?

Alf1 get a tin od Rostof Ice made by Worth . Then spray injector and try it again.This stuff will form ice over the injector and therfore it should shrink it.Or any cold spray in a tin made for this sort of job.Put hair blower on the head and get it warm then use the freez spray on the injector only.Let us know how it works.

Thanks for the info, have you had previous success with this method or do you know anybody who has ? Its just that if it fails the consequences are catastrophic with it being the head off etc.

Did you warm the engine up before attempting to remove the glow plugs? I am told by my indie that one should get the engine as hot as possible and attempt to remove the glow plugs as soon as possible so it is still very hot.

My friend owns a BMW indie did them for me&has 30 years experience&he got the engine as hot as possible before he attempted to take them out&2 came out no problem but the other 3 were extremely tight & he didnt want to risk any of them breaking in the head&causing me major expense.

Thanks for that, one of my pals has told me about that tool that vibrates the glow plug to try to help the removal&he told me that there is a garage near me in Sheffield that has one so i will be ringing them to see how much they charge

Thanks for that, one of my pals has told me about that tool that vibrates the glow plug to try to help the removal&he told me that there is a garage near me in Sheffield that has one so i will be ringing them to see how much they charge

Great, please report back. This tool is only a couple of hundred pounds, so not expensive especially for someone doing this for a living.

neilrr said:
Hi, my advice is to test to find the faulty one and only replace this one, once you have found the faulty one you should spray it with wd40 or similar for a few days,then when ready to tackle the job you need to get the engine as hot as poss remove the fan belt is a good start run it up till the temp gauge show very hot switch off and with a torque wrench set around 25 NM attempt to remove the plug, the idea of using a toque wrench is if the plug does noes start to undo at least the wrench will click before you snap the plug. And if it does not still come out take it to a merc ind. there are plenty of people who say you should replace them all when one fails but you are x4 increasing to risk plus you don't replace all your bulbs when one fails? I hope this has been of some help. I know from bitter experience as I had a 250 td and I had to replace the cylinder head but my present c220 cdi the plugs fell out I torqued then to 18 NM

Hi, my advice is to test to find the faulty one and only replace this one, once you have found the faulty one you should spray it with wd40 or similar for a few days,then when ready to tackle the job you need to get the engine as hot as poss remove the fan belt is a good start run it up till the temp gauge show very hot switch off and with a torque wrench set around 25 NM attempt to remove the plug, the idea of using a toque wrench is if the plug does noes start to undo at least the wrench will click before you snap the plug. And if it does not still come out take it to a merc ind. there are plenty of people who say you should replace them all when one fails but you are x4 increasing to risk plus you don't replace all your bulbs when one fails? I hope this has been of some help. I know from bitter experience as I had a 250 td and I had to replace the cylinder head but my present c220 cdi the plugs fell out I torqued then to 18 NM
The remaining 3 need replacing as the nib on the 2 that were removed were very worn down&are in danger of breaking off thus falling into the cylinder with a possibility to cause untold damage.

Just an update on the glow plug problem, 3 out of the 5 glow plugs broke whilst the garage attempted to remove them,they managed to drill 2 out but the drill broke on one & part of it is still in & the mechanic told me the bit that was left in would blow out.I hope hes right !

Thanks for updating us all, im not sure what is meant by it should blow out? Has he not got another drill to complete the job properly. Bit of bad luck on them snapping chum just make sure he greases the new ones and doesn't swing on them whilst tighting not much torque is needed

tThe remaining bit cannot be drilled out as the drill bit broke whilst drilling the heater plug out so its impossible to drill out as you cannot drill onto a broken drill bit.They are put in by 1/4 drive sockets so there's no real torque applied.They tell me the remaining bit should blow out with the compression in the cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom