Glow plugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vitocliff

Car
Vito120cdi
Just changed the glow plugs on my 120cdi, took me three days ! All was going well until number 4 which show some resistance but not thought to be enough to cause damage ! So I thought . Fact was, it had sheared and the only reason it didn't show up as being broken was that the centre core was still attached, so it didn't pull out. Once that was evident, I forced it out and proceeded to remove the outer using easyouts . You can guess, it didn't budge. Then the easyout got stuck and after at least one day of trying to budge it and breaking off the top of it I put a couple of stripes of weld down it so I could get some purchase on it. That worked.
A change of tack was required, so out came the drill and a groove was made in the side of the plug's inside, enough to weaken it. Not an easy job, but great care was taken to limit the damage. Anyone who has worked on these V6's will know that there's not much room above the engine but with help from my mate Perce, ( persistence, that is ), I managed to remove it and leave plenty of tread for the new plug to be secured. Touch and go at times, but I didn't want to strip the engine with all that was involved together with the cost, so result was achieved and the previous fault of warning light staying on is no more.
I'm not heavy handed and rarely find myself with such problems so was surprised that this happened. New ones went in with copperslip to ease future removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom