Glow relay problem after remap -coincidence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dape16

Car
MB E220 CDI -04
Had a remap with tuning and EGR delete done at a well known tuning company. They tried to program the ECU twice, although after programming the car wouldnt start and the radiator fan was going at full speed. Maybe an checksum error. They put back the original ECU program but then the glow plug light was on. Erased codes, the light went away but came back later the same day.

They have now done a proper programming and the tuning and EGR delete works very well.

Although the glowing system does not work anymore and the dashboard light is always on until I restart the car when it has become warm.

To be honest I have to admit it sounds unlikely that programming the ECU would impact the glow plug relay but why would it fail on me right there at the tuning company?

I exchanged the relay just a couple of years ago, and the tuning companys error codes before the programming did not include anything about the glow plug relay or glow plugs.

:dk:

Okay, since there was two error codes, "glow plug relay short circut" and "glow plug nr 3 defective", I started with changing the glow plug, although no difference. Also all four measured around 1,2 Ohm which is OK.

After some reading my theory is this:

During the programming the car was connected to a big power supply. When the ECU programming failed, the ECU control of the glow plug relay did not work properly and maybe the glow plug relay got stuck in pre glow mode (max current during less then 1 sec) and got burned. As I understand, the glow plug relay is connected directly to the battery (and in this case the power supply) and is only fused inside it self.

Is it likely that a faulty ECU in combination with a powerful power supply connected to the car made the glow plug relay overloaded?

Thanks for any ideas!

If you remove the g/plug relay box and open it up (use a sharp blade along the silicon sealing on its underside) you will see 4 fusible links inside and it will be obvious if any, or all, have blown. you can repair these links by soldering suitable automotive fuses over the blown links...........its a much simpler job than it sounds, i did this to mine a few years ago when a blown glowplug caused one of the relay links to blow....its been fine since and much better than paying circa £100 for a new relay.

If you remove the g/plug relay box and open it up (use a sharp blade along the silicon sealing on its underside) you will see 4 fusible links inside and it will be obvious if any, or all, have blown. you can repair these links by soldering suitable automotive fuses over the blown links...........its a much simpler job than it sounds, i did this to mine a few years ago when a blown glowplug caused one of the relay links to blow....its been fine since and much better than paying circa £100 for a new relay.

Thanks, I will look into this! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom