Glowplug issue. Glowplug Relay? Going MAD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dannyg2325

Car
C220 '03
Hello all,

im new to the forum, and i come seeking help!

2003 w203 c220 cdi

when the cold weather started, my car became extremely hard to start. So started to replace the glowplugs. unfortunatly the 3rd one broke (tip is stuck in the head.) Anyway with the other 3 changed it was starting alot better. but then a few days later, the car would not start at all! the only way i could get it started was to pour hot water around the injectors.

after a bit more playing i connected a glowplug and earthed it off the engine, to see if it would heat, but no joy. i tried starting the car, took a while but started, but once it started the glowplug light up red hot????

now im totally confused now!! does this make sence to anyone????

any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Bump back to the top.

Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry that its at a bad time for you.

Search 'glow plugs' in the tool at the top of the page. Recall a thread a few days ago along the same lines. It cost 100 quid to have the broken plug removed, so exy but not hugely expensive!

Not starting bit? Its going to be down to that dicky plug as a guess but I'll let the other members add thier knowledge to that, mine ends at turning the ignition!!

simon

hi simon,

thanks for the welcome!

yeah i just dont understand that when i connect a fresh plug to the live cable of number 3 it doesnt pre-heat as it should instead it heats after the car is started (when the starter motor is near burnt out! lol)
im thinking maybe a relay issue?

ill have a search and see what i can find.

thanks again simon!

danny

Relays can be an issue but I dont understand why it works once the car is started....

Its easy to check the relay, take it apart and if one or more of the wires is burnt out, you need a new one.

The glowplug system has after glow so that is why it glows up after start.

I doubt a glow plug issue causing the non start. They will start ok without glow plugs upto -15 degrees.

I would be looking at either air in the fuel system or an injetot fault.

The glowplug system has after glow so that is why it glows up after start.

I doubt a glow plug issue causing the non start. They will start ok without glow plugs upto -15 degrees.

I would be looking at either air in the fuel system or an injetot fault.

As above, you need to check the injectors, sounds like they are leaking too much diesel back to the tank.
You need to disconnect the camshaft sensor, remove the injector leak off pipes and clamp it off.
Then fit a test tube to the top of each injector ( can be bought from most Motor Factors ) turn the engine over.

If any of the test tubes fill up with diesel then that injector is faulty, and will need replacing. A little bit of diesel is ok :thumb:

Hi guys, thanks for the relies.

had diagnostics read and this is what ive come back with:-

electric heater booster
glow plugs
rail pressure monitoring
fuel pressure control valve
charge pressure control
hot film MAF sensor

got this read after the car died accelorating to 40mph, car went off with a thump then the engine cut out. warning message appeared on the screen:-

Ele power control unit
visit workshop

:eek:
:confused:

any ideas as to why so many faults are showing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom