glowplugs - replace all or replace failed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
Hello

Just had a main dealer service and they changed 2 of the glowplugs as the glowplug lamp was staying on (plugs 4 & 5).

That was last week. This morning glowplug lamp comes on again.

Has me thinking that maybe these glowplugs should all be replaced at the same time as if one has gone presumably then the rest are likely to be close to failure.

Is that correct? Is there a labour cost saving to replacing them all at the same time on the V8 diesel (ie is it a case of while you are in there..) or are they all equally accessible so reasonable to change only as they fail.

Sorry I expect this is a rudimentary question but my spanner knowledge is nearly zero so your comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

There is no real need to replace all of them but quite often when one goes one or two of the others will fail soon.

Glow plugs are pretty cheap. The biggest cost is labour, so when mine went I replaced them all.

I've currently got a failed glowplug on the Vito at 36k miles - I sincerely hope that's a one-off, and the others aren't about to go.

AFAIK the glowplugs in our Audi are the originals, and that's on 140k miles.

If one goes, I replace the full set.

I suspect the labour will be a lot on the Vito as the engine bay is pretty cramped (short bonnet).

I had a couple failed on the E300TD.
Replaced them all.

If its not a manifold off job I wouldn't replace them all. I follow the theory if it ain't broke....

Those who replaced all - what sort of mileage was this at?

Replace with genuine Beru s.

Cheap glowplugs don`t last. Are false economy. :thumb:

mine went at 80k then again at 160k and I have another 40 k to go before next time

replace the lot and get piece of mind! the winters coming !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom