glycol contamination on 2003 W209 CLK55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jpowell79

Car
CLK55 (C209)
Hi guys,

had my car just a few days now. Mostly I have been driving the car in manual mode with the paddle gears which is a lot of fun, but now I've got that out of my system I've switched back to Standard Auto.

I'm gonna book the car in for a glycol test, later this week, but am trying to establish what the symptoms would be for glycol contamination.

Its the first CLK i've owned....truth be told it's the first MB i've ever owned, so have no ground for comparison, but there does seem to be a little bit of lag when the auto shifts up a gear.

Also, you can definitely feel when it changes gear in auto. Should I be expecting to go from say 0-60 without even noticing the gear change, or am I expecting too much?

Also, when I put my foot on the throttle, it seems like I have to go a fair way down before it initiates the gear change...probably a third of the way down or so.....any less than that and the car doesn't really get going.

Like I say, I have never driven one of these before, so I don't know what a "good one" feels like to drive, compared to a "bad one".

does it sound like I will have glycol contamination, or do the things I have described sound fairly normal?

cheers

glycol cause juddering during acceleration, end later more serious symptoms, I would get gear box serviced (oil/filter change if not changed >50000miles) before any other actions (glycol can be measured too)

thanks for the reply...so in your opinion, my car sounds normal?

Id say your not putting your foot down far enough for it to kick down by the sound of it....in mine you have to put your foot pretty well flat to the floor for the switch to be activated...then the gears change down

New fluids could do a miracle, and of course its possible that there is some wear in hydraulic unit which causes the shifting events delay. If I remember right, star can perform also very simple shifting thest procedure, and range of permissible values is shown too...

If your mechanic is pro, he can check out the signs of significant mechanical wear in sleeves of the spools etc.

Different engines have different programming too, even the box would be 'same'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom