Go for a proper drive!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I'm getting R2 ready today for a proper drive ie. about 2000 miles :)

Tomorrow we will do the 500 miles from Kent to Stirling by what ever route Comand says is quickest. Then the next day we will start the route below.

Route_zpsa9c4b2b7.jpg

Once we get back to Fife we will do trips out to North Berwick, Edinburgh, maybe Perth to see friends. Then if Ive any driving left in me maybe York and Lindesfarne on the way home. Bring it on :)

Edit. I will try and do some updates but mobile signal isn't going to be great in the mountains!

Looks good. Are you sure that's the quickest route from Dunfermline to Kirkaldy though?...

Looks good. Are you sure that's the quickest route from Dunfermline to Kirkaldy though?...

Quickest route is only day one to Stirling...

"from Kent to Stirling by what ever route Comand says is quickest"

It would be a crying shame if you don't make the time to bear west on the B869 loop just south of Kylesku. This goes via Clashnessie and Stoer down to Lochinver and is the very essence of the NW of Scotland.

Continue south from Lchinver on the "mad road" (starts out as the A837 then is, I think unclassified) to rejoin the A835 just north of Ullapool.

Go for a proper drive. :devil:

Last edited:
Take a minute to take in Britains first PFR site [Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor] on an old 2nd World war airfield at Dounreay just west of Thurso on the way to Durness - built there because it was as far away from London as possible and they didn't know exactly what was going to happen! Dunnet Head Lighthouse+cliffs is a great deal more spectacular [ single track roads with passing places but worth the effort ??] than Jan de Groote's House which is a small rather mundane group of buildings. Caithness on a fine summer's day is a beautiful place--- but can be miserable in the wind and rain. Take wet weather gear!

Last edited:
I'm getting R2 ready today for a proper drive ie. about 2000 miles :)

Tomorrow we will do the 500 miles from Kent to Stirling by what ever route Comand says is quickest. Then the next day we will start the route below.

Route_zpsa9c4b2b7.jpg

Once we get back to Fife we will do trips out to North Berwick, Edinburgh, maybe Perth to see friends. Then if Ive any driving left in me maybe York and Lindesfarne on the way home. Bring it on :)

Edit. I will try and do some updates but mobile signal isn't going to be great in the mountains!

Greg Hi
Did the Inverness upwards bit some years ago - a great drive indeed. I assume you have allowed some time along the way for cleaning, polishing etc etc?
Enjoy the journey.:thumb:

Quickest route is only day one to Stirling...

"from Kent to Stirling by what ever route Comand says is quickest"

Yes...I was being ironic ;)

Though I admit it was slightly lost by misreading the map R2 posted as starting at Dunfermline...:doh:

Last edited:
This 2000 miles looks a lot more interesting than my last 2000 miles of repeat Mcr-London trips! :)

Enjoy.

Have a great trip Greg and drive safely. It's the others out there that you should look out for.

It would be a crying shame if you don't make the time to bear west on the B869 loop just south of Kylesku. This goes via Clashnessie and Stoer down to Lochinver and is the very essence of the NW of Scotland.

Continue south from Lchinver on the "mad road" (starts out as the A837 then is, I think unclassified) to rejoin the A835 just north of Ullapool.

Go for a proper drive. :devil:
Thanks! I've noted that and we'll see how time and the weather are doing!

Take a minute to take in Britains first PFR site [Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor] on an old 2nd World war airfield at Dounreay just west of Thurso on the way to Durness - built there because it was as far away from London as possible and they didn't know exactly what was going to happen! Dunnet Head Lighthouse+cliffs is a great deal more spectacular [ single track roads with passing places but worth the effort ??] than Jan de Groote's House which is a small rather mundane group of buildings. Caithness on a fine summer's day is a beautiful place--- but can be miserable in the wind and rain. Take wet weather gear!

Thanks noted as well. We'll see how we are doing :)

How many coats of Gtechniq for this trip?

Tony.

Answer None! I'm the process of putting AG Extra Gloss Protection on it to see if I can keep the layer of flys stuck to it at a manageable level!

Have a great trip Greg and drive safely. It's the others out there that you should look out for.

Thanks Peter. Will do. It's the sheep and deer that you have to watch out for as well. I once nearly had a face to face meeting with a stubborn or stupid horned ram!

Edit: As well as trying Extra Gloss Protection I've also filled up with a tank of Super Unleaded which is a first in this car!

Thurso - Ullapool by my suggested route is around 160 miles and in theory could take at least five hours driving time.

It goes without saying you should fill up at Thurso!

Thurso - Ullapool by my suggested route is around 160 miles and in theory could take at least five hours driving time.

It goes without saying you should fill up at Thurso!

The route will come down to time and how we are doing. I've looked up the extra bit I'd left off! Re Petrol I will brim it at every major stop as I dont fancy being 100 miles from anywhere with no fuel ! :) I can't wait now-I want to get started but we leave in the morning.

Last edited:
Since you're going up the A9 Perth to Inverness how about a wee detour on the way back down? We did this route yesterday in the SL and the heather is just starting to come into it's best. Lovely drive over some spectacular roads.

@ Sloch turn onto A938 Grantown on Spey.
A939 to Ballater (this is the famous 'Cockbridge to Tomintoul' road).
Right onto the B976 (single track and fabulous) before Ballater, then A93 through Braemar towards Blairgowrie.
B950 at the bottom of GlenShee to Pitlochry then A9 to Perth....Leave this bit off if you're pushed for time.

Either way have a great trip. But......Kinghorn? :dk:

Last edited:
Since you're going up the A9 Perth to Inverness how about a wee detour on the way back down? We did this route yesterday in the SL and the heather is just starting to come into it's best. Lovely drive over some spectacular roads.

@ Sloch turn onto A938 Grantown on Spey.
A939 to Ballater (this is the famous 'Cockbridge to Tomintoul' road).
Right onto the B976 (single track and fabulous) before Ballater, then A93 through Braemar towards Blairgowrie.
B950 at the bottom of GlenShee to Pitlochry then A9 to Perth....Leave this bit off if you're pushed for time.

Either way have a great trip. But......Kinghorn? :dk:

Cheers Druk. Ive done the Glen Shee Road loads of times. The attached photo is the old Devils Elbow.......er which is closed;)

PS. Near Family! (and a nice view :) )

Last edited:
You're not doing the Bealach na Baa?
Shame on you!

Good luck, i'm sure it will be good.

I did the same in my AMG but in France over 2200 miles to Monte Carlo, was epic!

Well we are ready for the off! This is a test upload from my phone. First impressions of AG extra gloss protection are good. Shiny as ever! Scotland here we come :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom