go on then lets hear your "meet the parents" stories ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
To get the ball rolling my one (actually Mercedes related as well !)

Many many moons ago my girlfriend of the time (now the wife) was due to come round my house for the first time, nothing formal. My dad asked me to help him off with the hard top of his brand new SL. He promptly forgot about the heated window lead which was my side and it well and truly got ripped out. So my dad being my dad said "you f***ing c***" to me and at that exact second my future Mrs walked down my drive. So her first ever experience of my dad was him talking to me like a bit of $hit ! Funnily enough she remembers it to this day and he hasn't gone up in her estimation since then.

So not not overly funny but I'm sure others have more funny ones !

The first time I met my future in-laws I was also greeted by their Welsh Springer Spaniel who pushed his way through and lept up to see me. I leant down to pat him and the heavy bag on my shoulder swung around hitting the dog and knocking him out!

The dog recovered!

Many years ago, I was asked by a then new girlfriend to come round to her house. On arrival she met me and said come in and take your coat off. At which point her father appeared and said "I don't why your taking your coat off Son you won't be staying". I didn't stay. Still makes me chuckle when I remember that moment of teenage uncertainty. Is he joking? No he isn't, get out fast.

To get the ball rolling my one (actually Mercedes related as well !)

Many many moons ago my girlfriend of the time (now the wife) was due to come round my house for the first time, nothing formal. My dad asked me to help him off with the hard top of his brand new SL. He promptly forgot about the heated window lead which was my side and it well and truly got ripped out. So my dad being my dad said "you f***ing c***" to me and at that exact second my future Mrs walked down my drive. So her first ever experience of my dad was him talking to me like a bit of $hit ! Funnily enough she remembers it to this day and he hasn't gone up in her estimation since then.

So not not overly funny but I'm sure others have more funny ones !

Are you sure this wasn't an instruction?

Have you met the wife ;)

See, I'd only wish I'd received good old fashioned Fatherly advice like that!

He's not that bad after all is he?

Well I didn't have any sympathy for him when he drove the sl into a wall on our drive whilst pi$$ed causing 3 grands worth of damage

Back in the 70s when I was about 17 and powercuts were commonplace during the miners's strike, I went round to a girlfriend's house, which was in darkness. No door bell, but it was latish anyway, so I thought she'd gone up to bed. Being young and stupid, I climbed up the drainpipe which was next to her bedroom window, and knocked on it...and knocked....and again, when her mother (who I had met before, to be fair) came to the window and said she must have fallen asleep in the lounge downstairs, as had her dad.

They were quite a barmy family, so no real harm done, but it gave me a start at the time!

I was 19 and finally plucked up the courage to ask a really pretty local girl out for the first time. I had admired her for months as she walked past my house every day to school. To my astonishment, she said yes. When I picked her up at her home, her father read me the riot act about having her back by no later than 11.00. I had tickets to see The Who at Lancaster University, which was 45 minutes drive away. Unbeknownst to me, this was a venue where the band didn't come onstage until 10.00p.m. The Who were absolutely incredible - never seen or heard anything like it in my life. All through the gig, she kept asking me what time it was, as she was terrified her father would give her a really tough time if we were late back. I wound my watch back two hours and showed her it was still early - I wasn't going to miss this incredible gig for anything.

We stayed until the end of the two hour show, I got her home by just after 1.00 a.m. and got the dressing down from hell by her old man and was banned from ever seeing her again.

More than 40 years later, I have no recollection of the girl's name or what she looked like. However, I can tell you that Pete Townsend was playing a cherry red Gibson SG. He broke a string, whipped off the guitar, threw it to the side of the stage and the roadie threw an identical one back for him to catch - the two guitars actually crossed in mid-air. The band never missed a beat; Keith Moon broke a bass drum skin, which the roadie changed while he kept playing; John Entwhistle's bass sound was unbelievable and Roger Daltrey's mic was all taped up so it wouldn't fly off the lead when he was swinging it around his head..............

I took loads of girls out in subsequent years, but I never saw another band that ever came close to The Who in 1969!

^^^Excellent^^^

I never saw another band that ever came close to The Who in 1969!

Along with The Kinks (the best two bands of the 60's), my dream gig would have been to see The Who in their prime.

To say I'm jealous is a massive understatement.

I met my wife's parents at my cousins wedding. She was marrying my cousin!

Story which amused me was in the press a few years ago.

After much pressing, young lady finally gets to meet parents of her hubby to be. They lived in far North of Scotland and it was arranged that the pair would go up over New Year. New Year in Scotland oh goody!

So on way up she starts getting a few more dribs and drabs about his parents who up to that point had almost never been spoken of: very staid, very religious, do not expect anything great......etc etc. She discounted this of course.

Further North they went gloomier her beloved got, until pulling into the drive of the family home he let out a huge sigh and went silent.

Well it was New Years Eve and yet it could have been wet Wednesday in October. No sign of any activity at all.

Slowly the full horror became clear: Teetotal. No TV. No music. Just a small radio.

She tried to make the best of it but clearly the parents viewed her as a Jezebel and the son as a total loss having decided to live in the fleshpots of London. Eventually at 22.00 on the dot the parents stood up and announced they were "away to prayer and their beds." Right.......

As they trudged upstairs she called out brightly "Good Night! See you next year!!"

Down floated the reply:

"Aye. If spared......"

Mine - it was 1960, there was this girl at school who was very popular and a relationship had started between us. I was 18 and we decided to get married. Then I found out that they were a very spiritual family who believed in clairvoyance and ouija boards (oh dear...). The parents were mad, kept forcing me to be involved in seánces etc. One day, when I had announced my intention to divorce, the parents came round to my house in Eaton Square and insisted on holding one of those. A clairvoyant was called, I was forced to remain in my living room with these people. The clairvoyant (who I knew to be a fraud) said that there was 'an evil presence amongst us' and the glass on the table which everyone held onto darted to me and I was physically forced out of my own house until the end. We divorced after a very short marriage, which I was very relieved to end!

Mine - it was 1960, there was this girl at school who was very popular and a relationship had started between us. I was 18 and we decided to get married. Then I found out that they were a very spiritual family who believed in clairvoyance and ouija boards (oh dear...). The parents were mad, kept forcing me to be involved in seánces etc. One day, when I had announced my intention to divorce, the parents came round to my house in Eaton Square and insisted on holding one of those. A clairvoyant was called, I was forced to remain in my living room with these people. The clairvoyant (who I knew to be a fraud) said that there was 'an evil presence amongst us' and the glass on the table which everyone held onto darted to me and I was physically forced out of my own house until the end. We divorced after a very short marriage, which I was very relieved to end!

Eaton Square? Upstairs or downstairs?;)

Both :D

That was then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom