Gobsmacked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
Yep totally Gobsmacked. I had a customer come to my place yesterday with a rust free car. Nothing unusual about that is there? But it was a W210 :eek: T reg 240. I spent a good 20 mins looking for rust but failed. Suggested to customer that he contact Mb and have it put in a museum. :D

So there is hope for all you 210 owners after all :D :devil:

Maybe it was re-bodied after a right off in its earlier days:D :D

Ian B Walker said:
Yep totally Gobsmacked. I had a customer come to my place yesterday with a rust free car. Nothing unusual about that is there? But it was a W210 :eek: T reg 240. I spent a good 20 mins looking for rust but failed. Suggested to customer that he contact Mb and have it put in a museum. :D

So there is hope for all you 210 owners after all :D :devil:

Hey... were you wearing your spectacles at the time...? :devil: :D

to be fair, although rust is very common, there are a lot of rust free ones too.. i have sold quite a few that have been completely rust free.

jaymanek said:
to be fair, although rust is very common, there are a lot of rust free ones too.. i have sold quite a few that have been completely rust free.

They are probably re-sprayed ones by MOBILO warranty.

Very late/final edition models may not be as badly affected!

i got a 2001 SLK on a Y Reg and there is rust beneath the open handle above the number plate, will this cover by mercedes? Cant belive mercedes rust on a 5 year old car, only though old japanesse car rust like this, i will think twice before i buy any merc,

tony2311 said:
i got a 2001 SLK on a Y Reg and there is rust beneath the open handle above the number plate, will this cover by mercedes? Cant belive mercedes rust on a 5 year old car, only though old japanesse car rust like this, i will think twice before i buy any merc,

Should be BUT if you do not have FMBSH then it will be a gamble if claim is authorised and you may get a good will gesture.

Submit the claim by all means as you don't get what you don't ask!

Flash said:
Should be BUT if you do not have FMBSH then it will be a gamble if claim is authorised and you may get a good will gesture.

i brought this nov this year, was washing it thourghly and spotted the rust and it cant be stone chips,
got 3 stamp in book all by mercedes milton keynes
25-5-02 A 11794
02-10-03 B 24281
15-09-05 A 33436
the car got 39500 on clock now and not due for another few thousand miles, will that be a full service history as the owner had it service when told by indicator?

tony2311 said:
i brought this nov this year, was washing it thourghly and spotted the rust and it cant be stone chips,
got 3 stamp in book all by mercedes milton keynes
25-5-02 A 11794
02-10-03 B 24281
15-09-05 A 33436
the car got 39500 on clock now and not due for another few thousand miles, will that be a full service history as the owner had it service when told by indicator?

Yes. Take the car to your dealer pronto.

Flash said:
Very late/final edition models may not be as badly affected!

If anything they seem worse.
A work collegue purchased a late one and said it was rust free. Well it was until I took a look.:confused:
Needs a wing and two doors doing for a start off. Both front wings are rust on the arches and one is nearly through all along above the bumper.

Flash said:

No , I can confirm that my bonnet and repaint will be covered despite having a bit of non merc servicing .
Can I suggest you send an email to [email protected]

And for what it was worth , once I submitted the V5 copy the claim was approved in a couple of days.

Ian B Walker said:
I had a customer come to my place yesterday with a rust free car. But it was a W210 :eek: T reg 240. I spent a good 20 mins looking for rust but failed.

what colour was this car? kind of oxide red perchance?

As Holmes used to say, when you have discounted the elimentary, just look in front of your nose! Dr Watson, An eye test!:D

Had mine double checked by an indie earlier this year as these rust threads make me nervous. Nothing wrong with the body though the engine cross-member needed and got a waxoil. The X-member snuggles into the plastic undertray where it is bathed in salty water. Good mod is to drop back end of undertray using spacers so road splash can run out, as well as in - saw this idea on the forum:)

If you always regularly wash your car yourself and are a true enthusiast at keeping it clean and polish/wax it then you will immediately notice every single blemish/mark/scratch on your paint work/body work and the slightest signs of rust would show. Rust is more noticeable and easier to spot on silver/white paintwork from my experience.

May sound sad but I am aware of the slightest small blemish/chip on my car's paint work.

fredfloggle said:
No , I can confirm that my bonnet and repaint will be covered despite having a bit of non merc servicing .
Can I suggest you send an email to [email protected]

And for what it was worth , once I submitted the V5 copy the claim was approved in a couple of days.

Your claim is a goodwill gesture by DC! That is why I advised Tony to submit the claim anyway.

Flash said:
Your claim is a goodwill gesture by DC! That is why I advised Tony to submit the claim anyway.

No it isn't !! , it is a formal claim under the anti-dissolve into a pile of bits warranty . There is no goodwill involved (there won't be by the time I am finished ) I have pointed out a number of underbody pressed steel brackets etc that will also be replaced .
The claim was submitted to DC , then I was contacted by the local dealer who don't have a shop , but a rep , the email I received from her had the mbbodyservice address - but the claim was approved by DC .

I asked the rep about the service requirement and she said that so long as there were a couple of stamps in it , there would be no problem - they do assess the current condition - is the car looked after etc .

I pointed out a bubble on the A pillar , which I was told wouldn't be included as it was a stone chip - so I asked them that when the bonnet was repaired/replaced/whatever they will do to it , that they leave the original stone chips in place - and we have now as a gesture of goodwill and a drink for the painter , negotiated a little local repair .

It will be interesting to see how they intend to deal with the rusty seams on the front chassis legs - engine out maybe ? better they just fix my airbag , and give the chassis legs a squirt of waxoil - however , if they don't want to ..... I can lend them a petrol disk cutter to whip the legs off .

Last edited:
Flash said:
If you always regularly wash your car yourself and are a true enthusiast at keeping it clean and polish/wax it then you will immediately notice every single blemish/mark/scratch on your paint work/body work and the slightest signs of rust would show. Rust is more noticeable and easier to spot on silver/white paintwork from my experience.

May sound sad but I am aware of the slightest small blemish/chip on my car's paint work.

Likewise , and I see your point - however go a bit steady , you might end up with a floorpan and a big heap of dust .

fredfloggle said:
No it isn't !! , it is a formal claim under the anti-dissolve into a pile of bits warranty . There is no goodwill involved (there won't be by the time I am finished ) I have pointed out a number of underbody pressed steel brackets etc that will also be replaced .
The claim was submitted to DC , then I was contacted by the local dealer who don't have a shop , but a rep , the email I received from her had the mbbodyservice address - but the claim was approved by DC .

I asked the rep about the service requirement and she said that so long as there were a couple of stamps in it , there would be no problem - they do assess the current condition - is the car looked after etc .

I pointed out a bubble on the A pillar , which I was told wouldn't be included as it was a stone chip - so I asked them that when the bonnet was repaired/replaced/whatever they will do to it , that they leave the original stone chips in place - and we have now as a gesture of goodwill and a drink for the painter , negotiated a little local repair .

It will be interesting to see how they intend to deal with the rusty seams on the front chassis legs - engine out maybe ? better they just fix my airbag , and give the chassis legs a squirt of waxoil - however , if they don't want to ..... I can lend them a petrol disk cutter to whip the legs off .

As far as I am aware if a vehicle does not have a FMBSH or at least had a service carried out by MB within the last two years of the claim then it is does not comply with the Terms & Conditions of MOBILO and the claim is down to the discretion of DC UK and they can decline it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom