Going back to 16"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackbird1

Car
W203 C180k automatic estate
I currently have 17"s on just now but going to 16"s i just want a bit more cushioning in the tyres as i don't need fancy sharper handling. The back tyres are i think 245/40 or 45 the fronts are 225 or 35...i don't need that.

It isn't that bad a ride but bad enough compared to my last c class so i will go back to 16s as said. I don't know the style of them plus the previous owner painted them black (rolls eyes) i will get a photo and put them in the ads.

Admittedly my car is a 204 whereas yours is a 203, but I found it was tyres as much as wheel size that made a major difference. I went from 16's and Contisports to 17's and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric, transformed a noisy car into a whisper quiet car, ride was (is) good (no complaints from SWMBO whether passenger or driving) plus car was less wallowy and handling was better. My previous S203, which I sold in March 2012, was on 16's (forget which tyres) but ISTR it wallowed a bit, like the 204.

It's not the road noise is ok that way, well for me so far it is it's the tyre profile and as you said handling and as I said above that isn't a concern for me I would rather have comfort. I will either sell or swap these and get 16s.

205/5/16 were fitted as standard to many W203's and these are one of the most commonly fitted sizes so there is not only a lot of choice but a lot of competition so prices are generally low.

I had Dunlop Blu-response Sport tyres in this size and found them quiet, comfortable and with excellent wet grip.

I'd do the maths on the difference in profile.

Sometimes the difference is very small which I am not sure you'd notice.

As said, the choice of tyre can have as much of an effect as the profile.

I currently have 17"s on just now but going to 16"s i just want a bit more cushioning in the tyres as i don't need fancy sharper handling. The back tyres are i think 245/40 or 45 the fronts are 225 or 35...i don't need that.

It isn't that bad a ride but bad enough compared to my last c class so i will go back to 16s as said. I don't know the style of them plus the previous owner painted them black (rolls eyes) i will get a photo and put them in the ads.

Changed from 17 to 16 inch on my CLK, not much difference in ride, tyres are around 30% cheaper. Road holding about the same in normal use, this not a track day machine.

205/5/16 were fitted as standard to many W203's and these are one of the most commonly fitted sizes so there is not only a lot of choice but a lot of competition so prices are generally low.

I had Dunlop Blu-response Sport tyres in this size and found them quiet, comfortable and with excellent wet grip.

My previous W203 had 16" wheels, and I opted for the same when buying my current W204 :thumb:

I bought Dunlop Sport BluResponse 205/55x16R 91V tyres for both the W203 and the W204 - I find it's a good balance between performance and comfort. They are also very reasonably priced, e.g.:

Dunlop Sport BluResponse 205/55 R16 91V - 123tyres.co.uk

That is a very good price for a quality tyre.

That the common size helps the price is evident when the same tyre in a narrower 195/60 R16 91V is 73% more expensive.

205 55 16 (on the front) is a very common size, it’s the old storey, unit numbers.

I wonder if I could fit 205/55 R16's on my rims in place of the 195/60 R16's that came as standard.

MB fitted the narrow 195 tyres to my car for headline emissions figures and lower MPG. They managed to squeeze the car into the F tax band so I save £40 per year as the same car with 205's are the next band up. But then I have to shell out an extra £150-200 more per set of tyres which wipes out the saving.

I wonder if I could fit 205/55 R16's on my rims in place of the 195/60 R16's that came as standard.

MB fitted the narrow 195 tyres to my car for headline emissions figures and lower MPG. They managed to squeeze the car into the F tax band so I save £40 per year as the same car with 205's are the next band up. But then I have to shell out an extra £150-200 more per set of tyres which wipes out the saving.

Should be OK, for me I would go ahead and change to 205 tyres. Will have to fit to all 4 wheels, ABS traction control etc. Check with your tyre fitter.

Reactions: 190
I think i will be doing that too as i found 16s with 205s kind of local.

My E Class on 16's they reckon they are better all round than the bigger wheels. I wont be tempted.

My E Class on 16's they reckon they are better all round than the bigger wheels. I wont be tempted.

Who are "they" ?

My E Class has 18 inch wheels with 35 / 40 section tyres and lowered and stiffened MB Sports suspension but it has a very good and comfortable ride on most roads. The ride improved markedly once Goodyear Eagle F1 A3 tyres replaced the cheap rubber the previous owner had fitted.

I changed my wifes SL from 17s to 18s and it ruined the ride. Will be going back to 17s with Goodyear as3 or dunlop Maxx Rt when the 18s are worn enough. I was amazed the differece it made.Obviousy I didnt tell her it was my fault....just blamed the tyres!

I changed my wifes SL from 17s to 18s and it ruined the ride. Will be going back to 17s with Goodyear as3 or dunlop Maxx Rt when the 18s are worn enough. I was amazed the differece it made.Obviousy I didnt tell her it was my fault....just blamed the tyres!

It may well have been the tyres, what brand are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom