Going camping. Charging gadgets problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
Couple of years ago while camping I managed to flat the battery of my W204 coupe by just charging the phones while camping in Spain. I know how stupid that sounds but I could not find a way to just enable the cigarette lighter in the cabin without all sorts of other bits and pieces coming on at the same time.

Am I missing something here? Can I just enable the cigarette lighter somehow or maybe find an adapter to link directly onto the accesories battery in the boot?

Any help appreciated.

Many models have charging points that work when the car is off but not sure about c class coupe.

I would also not risk the car battery, you can buy battery powered gadget chargers or a cheap battery pack as above which can be recharged in the car when it's running.

I like the portable jump starter idea and ideally want one with a USB port built in and the possibility to recharge the unit from the car as I will not have any access to a mains socket for the duration of the holidays.

I found this in costco and looks like it will do the job but it is quite expensive.
Costco UK - PowerStation 12 Volt Portable Jumpstart - Model PSX3EU

Any reviews on this and any alternatives form someone who has one. In the unlikely even that I need this for the merc, will this jump start the C250 CDI or an Alfa MiTo 155.

Given (I hope) it is sunny in Spain when you are camping, have you thought about a solar charger to provide some extra charge for the whole system ?

I'd add a fused permanent fed cigarette lighter outlet somewhere (such as the boot)

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom