Going down under

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

On the spur of the moment, last week I booked Singapore Airline flights to the antipodes. We’ll be flying into Auckland and a month later departing from Melbourne. I’ve been to Oz many times because that’s where most of my family live, but this will be our first visit to NZ. “All” I have to do now is arrange the bits in between the long-haul flights.

Our only definite destination in NZ will be to Tauranga on the East coast of North Island to stay with my sister-in-law for a few days. It’ll be the first time we’ll have seen her since shortly before my brother (her husband) died. It’ll be an emotional time but we’ll be sure to sink a few bottles of NZ’s best to celebrate ****’s memory. There are lots of great places to visit within an hour or so drive from Tauranga so that’s much of our accommodation already sorted.

Until a couple of days ago, my intention was to spend our first 7 or 8 days in North Island then fly to Brisbane to catch up with a nephew and revisit the city my wife and I fell in love with during our honeymoon. Then we were going to Melbourne (possibly flying to Sydney then driving round the coast to Melbourne) to spend the major part of our holiday with my two sisters who live there. But a change in circumstances (that I’m not going into right now) mean we’ll be spending less time in Melbourne than originally planned. So I’m currently considering increasing our NZ stay to two weeks so we can see some of South Island too. It would be such a waste to travel so far and still to miss so much.

So it’s back to choosing just where to go in NZ and how to get there. Having our (by then - next March) nearly four year old daughter with us will limit too much in the way of hikes and adrenaline adventures, but there will be so much else to see and do. Car hire seems to be far more expensive than everywhere else in the world that we’ve been to, but I believe there will be some amazing drives. Fortunately our daughter travels really well.

On with the research and planning.

On the spur of the moment, last week I booked Singapore Airline flights

You sound just like me.. enjoy pal! :p

Sorry I know nothing about NZ, but there’s a certain member on here WD3663676.. who can help lol

Last edited:
Love NZ.
I went there as part of my travels in the early noughties. Think of it as a bigger UK with a bit more to see and a better rugby team, especially the South Island.

One of my daughters is emigrating there in October so will soon have an excuse to visit!

Queenstown and Wanaka - beautiful scenery, great restaurants and lots to do. The Shotover Jet (hair-raising but worth it) is one of the things to do amongst the other "adventure activities". We were a group of 4 so we hired a plane for a flight over the Alps to Milford Sound and then hired a chopper to take us up to and land on the glacier. Awesome and worth every penny. Try some "Nanny Goat" Pinot Noir - it is grown there and lovely.

It is a great drive to Duneden (4 hours through great scenery) and it is a lovely place to visit - shops selling tartan etc. - they are very like Scotland but...the people are very friendly :)

PS there is an awesome burger shop in Queenstown. The queues are long but it goes quickly and the burgers are stunning. Not all true burgers - e.g. my wife had a "pulled pork and crackling" burger.

Only bummer for me is that I was in All Black Country - the land of my enemy :p

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my daughters is emigrating there in October so will soon have an excuse to visit!

Start getting your mind around 24 hours in a silver tube or plan a few stopovers en-route. I lived on OZ for 8 years and loved it there but the flights back here are so long and tiring and to NZ is even worse.

Depends on what you're interested in. In 2014, we picked up a campervan in Christchurch and drove clockwise around South Island, before crossing from Picton to North Island where we met up with friends in Wellington, did some sightseeing along east coast finally dropping the camper in Auckland and returning to Melbourne.

Stops on South Island included, Invercargill, The Catlins, Doubtful Sound (overnight onboard the Fjordland Venturer with Real Journeys, not to be missed IMHO), Fox Glacier, Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura (whale watching). Had an amazing time, saw a wide range of wildlife, spectacular scenery and met some truly nice, friendly folk everywhere. I hope you have great time too.

Start getting your mind around 24 hours in a silver tube or plan a few stopovers en-route. I lived on OZ for 8 years and loved it there but the flights back here are so long and tiring and to NZ is even worse.
We’re not bothered about the silver tubes. Even our 3-year old has been to Australia before as well as twice each to Mongolia and Hong Kong and once to the Maldives, all without stopovers.

Been quite a while since I was last there but on the south island do do the Puzzling World in Wanaka and in Christchurch try The Worcester b and b (up market still I trust). If Annies wine bar still exists over the way with in the Uni grounds give it a try in the evening. Find a glow worm cave on the west coast around greymouth.

I could go on but NZ is simply amazing. The one country I have always said I could move to to live in forever.

We’re not bothered about the silver tubes. Even our 3-year old has been to Australia before as well as twice each to Mongolia and Hong Kong and once to the Maldives, all without stopovers.

Sorry I spoke! :(

I usually travel premium or business but still suffer with jet lag flying east>west.

Rotorua is amazing, lots of sulphur springs, (smells like eggs) and many homes heated by the hot water pumped around their homes, worth a visit.

On the spur of the moment, last week I booked Singapore Airline flights to the antipodes. We’ll be flying into Auckland and a month later departing from Melbourne. I’ve been to Oz many times because that’s where most of my family live, but this will be our first visit to NZ. “All” I have to do now is arrange the bits in between the long-haul flights.

Our only definite destination in NZ will be to Tauranga on the East coast of North Island to stay with my sister-in-law for a few days. It’ll be the first time we’ll have seen her since shortly before my brother (her husband) died. It’ll be an emotional time but we’ll be sure to sink a few bottles of NZ’s best to celebrate ****’s memory. There are lots of great places to visit within an hour or so drive from Tauranga so that’s much of our accommodation already sorted.

Until a couple of days ago, my intention was to spend our first 7 or 8 days in North Island then fly to Brisbane to catch up with a nephew and revisit the city my wife and I fell in love with during our honeymoon. Then we were going to Melbourne (possibly flying to Sydney then driving round the coast to Melbourne) to spend the major part of our holiday with my two sisters who live there. But a change in circumstances (that I’m not going into right now) mean we’ll be spending less time in Melbourne than originally planned. So I’m currently considering increasing our NZ stay to two weeks so we can see some of South Island too. It would be such a waste to travel so far and still to miss so much.

So it’s back to choosing just where to go in NZ and how to get there. Having our (by then - next March) nearly four year old daughter with us will limit too much in the way of hikes and adrenaline adventures, but there will be so much else to see and do. Car hire seems to be far more expensive than everywhere else in the world that we’ve been to, but I believe there will be some amazing drives. Fortunately our daughter travels really well.

On with the research and planning.

Sounds like a real fab trip. I've never been, despite being in the proximity on a few occasions. Something I now regret. (that's the second I regret post I've made in the last couple of days.. hmmm). So really interested in your thought process, planning and execution. Amazing countries by all accounts and not it seems, full of the PC nonsense we see over here day in day out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom