Going down under

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by knighterrant, Aug 10, 2018.

1. knighterrant

knighterrant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 Facelift C350 Sport Saloon with M276 petrol engine
    On the spur of the moment, last week I booked Singapore Airline flights to the antipodes. We’ll be flying into Auckland and a month later departing from Melbourne. I’ve been to Oz many times because that’s where most of my family live, but this will be our first visit to NZ. “All” I have to do now is arrange the bits in between the long-haul flights.

Our only definite destination in NZ will be to Tauranga on the East coast of North Island to stay with my sister-in-law for a few days. It’ll be the first time we’ll have seen her since shortly before my brother (her husband) died. It’ll be an emotional time but we’ll be sure to sink a few bottles of NZ’s best to celebrate ****’s memory. There are lots of great places to visit within an hour or so drive from Tauranga so that’s much of our accommodation already sorted.

Until a couple of days ago, my intention was to spend our first 7 or 8 days in North Island then fly to Brisbane to catch up with a nephew and revisit the city my wife and I fell in love with during our honeymoon. Then we were going to Melbourne (possibly flying to Sydney then driving round the coast to Melbourne) to spend the major part of our holiday with my two sisters who live there. But a change in circumstances (that I’m not going into right now) mean we’ll be spending less time in Melbourne than originally planned. So I’m currently considering increasing our NZ stay to two weeks so we can see some of South Island too. It would be such a waste to travel so far and still to miss so much.

So it’s back to choosing just where to go in NZ and how to get there. Having our (by then - next March) nearly four year old daughter with us will limit too much in the way of hikes and adrenaline adventures, but there will be so much else to see and do. Car hire seems to be far more expensive than everywhere else in the world that we’ve been to, but I believe there will be some amazing drives. Fortunately our daughter travels really well.

On with the research and planning.

Patagonian likes this.
  2. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK320 Coupé (209) - E320 CDI Wagon (211)
    You sound just like me.. enjoy pal! :p

Sorry I know nothing about NZ, but there’s a certain member on here WD3663676.. who can help lol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    knighterrant likes this.
  3. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    MB
    Watch out for the TVLF.

Happytalk73 and knighterrant like this.
  4. wu56Shoozz

wu56Shoozz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
    Car:
    MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
    For a minute I thought the title was the wife's response to "Am I Being Bad?" thread..

knighterrant likes this.
  5. Darrell

Darrell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
    Car:
    A Jaaaaag, 2016 Dacia Duster and a 2004 Carrera (996)
    Love NZ.
    I went there as part of my travels in the early noughties. Think of it as a bigger UK with a bit more to see and a better rugby team, especially the South Island.

knighterrant likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    knighterrant

Car:
    If we can get to see the All Blacks it’ll be extra brownie points for me. My wife loves watching the haka.

Patagonian, Darrell and wu56Shoozz like this.
  7. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 ML350cdi Sport , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    One of my daughters is emigrating there in October so will soon have an excuse to visit!

knighterrant likes this.
  8. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2017 SL400 AMG line with lots of fruit...
    Queenstown and Wanaka - beautiful scenery, great restaurants and lots to do. The Shotover Jet (hair-raising but worth it) is one of the things to do amongst the other "adventure activities". We were a group of 4 so we hired a plane for a flight over the Alps to Milford Sound and then hired a chopper to take us up to and land on the glacier. Awesome and worth every penny. Try some "Nanny Goat" Pinot Noir - it is grown there and lovely.

It is a great drive to Duneden (4 hours through great scenery) and it is a lovely place to visit - shops selling tartan etc. - they are very like Scotland but...the people are very friendly :)

PS there is an awesome burger shop in Queenstown. The queues are long but it goes quickly and the burgers are stunning. Not all true burgers - e.g. my wife had a "pulled pork and crackling" burger.

Only bummer for me is that I was in All Black Country - the land of my enemy :p

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Patagonian and knighterrant like this.
  9. Rorywquin

Car:
    Admin duplicated - please remove

10. Rorywquin

Car:
    Start getting your mind around 24 hours in a silver tube or plan a few stopovers en-route. I lived on OZ for 8 years and loved it there but the flights back here are so long and tiring and to NZ is even worse.

11. alzieboy

alzieboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350CDI sport Coupe / VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi
    Make a point of going up to the Bay of Islands, stunning,

knighterrant likes this.
  12. Sprint-Man

Sprint-Man Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209 CLK 240
    Sounds like a fantastic plan to me and as a 'Union' fan I'm even more jealous!
    Have a great time :thumb:

knighterrant likes this.
  13. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Depends on what you're interested in. In 2014, we picked up a campervan in Christchurch and drove clockwise around South Island, before crossing from Picton to North Island where we met up with friends in Wellington, did some sightseeing along east coast finally dropping the camper in Auckland and returning to Melbourne.

Stops on South Island included, Invercargill, The Catlins, Doubtful Sound (overnight onboard the Fjordland Venturer with Real Journeys, not to be missed IMHO), Fox Glacier, Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura (whale watching). Had an amazing time, saw a wide range of wildlife, spectacular scenery and met some truly nice, friendly folk everywhere. I hope you have great time too.

knighterrant likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    knighterrant

Car:
    We’re not bothered about the silver tubes. Even our 3-year old has been to Australia before as well as twice each to Mongolia and Hong Kong and once to the Maldives, all without stopovers.

clk320x likes this.
  15. mattc

mattc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    Been quite a while since I was last there but on the south island do do the Puzzling World in Wanaka and in Christchurch try The Worcester b and b (up market still I trust). If Annies wine bar still exists over the way with in the Uni grounds give it a try in the evening. Find a glow worm cave on the west coast around greymouth.

I could go on but NZ is simply amazing. The one country I have always said I could move to to live in forever.

knighterrant likes this.
  16. Rorywquin

Car:
    Sorry I spoke! :(

I usually travel premium or business but still suffer with jet lag flying east>west.

clk320x likes this.
  17. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    Rotorua is amazing, lots of sulphur springs, (smells like eggs) and many homes heated by the hot water pumped around their homes, worth a visit.

knighterrant likes this.
  18. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    MB
    I find West to East more gruelling.

19. Rorywquin

Car:

You are correct - I got that the wrong way around...

clk320x and DrFeelgood like this.
  20. Patagonian

Patagonian Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A5 Sportback
    Sounds like a real fab trip. I've never been, despite being in the proximity on a few occasions. Something I now regret. (that's the second I regret post I've made in the last couple of days.. hmmm). So really interested in your thought process, planning and execution. Amazing countries by all accounts and not it seems, full of the PC nonsense we see over here day in day out.

knighterrant likes this.