Going nuts with Temperature gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter D

Car
Mercedes C180 1995, Renault Cangoo, Mazda 326, Kia heap but still goes.
Purchased C180 a little while ago, but am now going nuts trying to find fault that has recently occurred.

Temperature gauge rises and then drops some time as much as 15 degrees within moments.
This does not happen all the time, drove 45miles at 70+ mph other day no problem then whamo up to 120+ then down / up.

When stopped with ignition off, but key in, temp has jumped and decreased on several occasions.

Temp sensor changed, thermostat changed, engine earth lead found almost off refitted. Still no joy.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, before the big branch starts hitting vehicle (faulty towers)

Peter,

I have exactly the same problem - documented elsewhere here (see 3rd posting down: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2157 )

Exactly the same symptoms as you. I had Purslows :rock: check it out when it was in for a service and they reckoned it was the dash panel and quoted me £300+ to fix it. Of course that's not a guarantee it would fix it.

I know I have to get it fixed sometime soon - coz one day the engine REALLY will be at 120+ and of course I'll ignore it.

And yes I know I should get it fixed ASAP. Actually - I'll check my warranty - which in reality is worthless, but you never know ....

K

Kinky

May thanks for the advice; I had a feeling that the dash could be the problem. To cover my butt and limit the grief from her in doors, I am looking to see if an additional gauge can be spliced in to give a correct reading before undertaking to remove and replace the dash. Am still scratching head as to how to do it, but am sure light bulb will illuminate at some time.

Many thanks
Peter D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom